Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Time Stretching Examples

Comments

• @espiegel123 said:
    One surprise for me was that the usually reliable Serato Sample misguessed the BPM of one of my test loops (the tablas) and I couldn’t figure out a way to enter the correct bpm which led to some trial and error to get the correct conversion.

Not being able to manually input BPM into Serato Sample is one of my main, and only, complaints with that near perfect program!

• @thatguysmitty said:

@espiegel123 said:
    One surprise for me was that the usually reliable Serato Sample misguessed the BPM of one of my test loops (the tablas) and I couldn’t figure out a way to enter the correct bpm which led to some trial and error to get the correct conversion.

Not being able to manually input BPM into Serato Sample is one of my main, and only, complaints with that near perfect program!

Generally, it works really well. What is especially surprising, is that I had loaded a loop cut to be precisely 2 measures long. The good news was that the quality of the time-stretching was not strikingly different from the better iOS apps.

• @gregsmith said:

@gusgranite said:
    Good work, @espiegel123 ! 👍

Yes great stuff!

I believe bm3 uses elastique like cubasis and loads of others. The fact that most preferred Koala is amazing. Hats off to @elf_audio

Now pretty-please @elf_audio , make an au sampler with your timestretching code!!! You would fill a massive hole. Segments is great but uses the built in Apple timestretching which isn’t good.
    Doesn’t have to be full Koala - just a sample bank that can be triggered by midi would do nicely!

I liked option 1 (BM3) the best, by far. Do you know if Zenbeats uses elastique stretching too?. I like how it just does it and you don’t have to choose an algorithm, automagically sounds good.

• @tahiche said:

@gregsmith said:

@gusgranite said:

Yes great stuff!

I believe bm3 uses elastique like cubasis and loads of others. The fact that most preferred Koala is amazing. Hats off to @elf_audio

Now pretty-please @elf_audio , make an au sampler with your timestretching code!!! You would fill a massive hole. Segments is great but uses the built in Apple timestretching which isn’t good.
    Doesn’t have to be full Koala - just a sample bank that can be triggered by midi would do nicely!

I liked option 1 (BM3) the best, by far. Do you know if Zenbeats uses elastique stretching too?. I like how it just does it and you don’t have to choose an algorithm, automagically sounds good.

Not sure what Zenbeats uses. I used to use it when it was stagelight and found the small amount of sample stretching I did was ok. I didn’t really have anything to compare to at the time.
    I always thought the audio track editing was very strong and was surprised it isn’t mentioned more.

• @tahiche said:

@gregsmith said:

@gusgranite said:

Yes great stuff!

Zenbeats’ sounds good, but I don’t think having options as you do in Koala and BM3 is any kind of downside. You don’t have to choose an algorithm, but you can if you want.

• i kinda had app C pegged as SEGments.

I really wish Intua would just release the sampler as a stand alone AU. i'd pay almost any asking price, even 99.95$

• edited March 2021

Thanks for this @espiegel123. I was trying not to see the results before posting, but my preference monitoring over the MacBook speakers were 1, 2 then a long way behind was 3. 2 always seemed a little tweaked so hence my preference for 1. When I discovered it was BM3 I wasn't surprised, but Koala is pretty good too. I actually like to defer to BM3 for time stretching when I have samples on the desk top. It's just a workflow I've gotten used to.

• edited March 2021

@espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 said:
    There has been a lot of discussion about the various apps and plug-ins that do time-stretching. This thread is for posting comparisons of various apps so that people can make informed decisions about what apps/plug-ins will work for them.

Here is a video demonstrating 3 apps/plugins stretching 3 sources to 45 bpm. The originals were 63.5 BPM, 66.7 BPM and 143.6 BPM. I originally planned to post examples with stretched both more and less than this but with the apps/plugins in this set, the comparative results were the same.

I'll wait to identify which app is which till after some people have had a chance to post their observations. Two of the apps performed pretty similarly. One: not so much.

In the video, app 1 is BeatMaker 3, app 2 is Koala (using modern mode), app 3 is sEGments.

I’m preparing samples (but not sure how to present them for comparison because it is hard to really compare of more than three play in a row. Almost ready are Zenbeats, Auria Pro, BlocsWave, MultiTrack Recorder, Twisted Wave. All of those seem to be of quality similar to Koala and BeatMaker. It is interesting that some have a distinct preference for either Koala or BeatMaker with no consensus as to which is better for the examples posted.

If someone is willing to prepare a comparison using the same sources that I did with some other apps (Cubasis 3 or DJayPro come to mind, let me know via PM).

I plan to also do Samplist, Cubasis 2, Ableton Live, Serato Sample...I might add Loopy HD and Auditor into the mix if time permits. Auditor is a tricky one because there are a lot of parameters one can tweak.

I originally prepared examples at a number of different stretch amounts for the first set but didn’t include them because with these sources at each TimeStretch amount the relative quality seemed the same to me.

Interesting. I so far did not use any of these for "serious" time stretching, do not have BM or Koala. But I do love sEGments for many reasons. But it sounded really bad in this test. Thanks for the test.

• @AAnton said:

@espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 said:
    There has been a lot of discussion about the various apps and plug-ins that do time-stretching. This thread is for posting comparisons of various apps so that people can make informed decisions about what apps/plug-ins will work for them.

Here is a video demonstrating 3 apps/plugins stretching 3 sources to 45 bpm. The originals were 63.5 BPM, 66.7 BPM and 143.6 BPM. I originally planned to post examples with stretched both more and less than this but with the apps/plugins in this set, the comparative results were the same.

I'll wait to identify which app is which till after some people have had a chance to post their observations. Two of the apps performed pretty similarly. One: not so much.

In the video, app 1 is BeatMaker 3, app 2 is Koala (using modern mode), app 3 is sEGments.

I’m preparing samples (but not sure how to present them for comparison because it is hard to really compare of more than three play in a row. Almost ready are Zenbeats, Auria Pro, BlocsWave, MultiTrack Recorder, Twisted Wave. All of those seem to be of quality similar to Koala and BeatMaker. It is interesting that some have a distinct preference for either Koala or BeatMaker with no consensus as to which is better for the examples posted.

If someone is willing to prepare a comparison using the same sources that I did with some other apps (Cubasis 3 or DJayPro come to mind, let me know via PM).

I plan to also do Samplist, Cubasis 2, Ableton Live, Serato Sample...I might add Loopy HD and Auditor into the mix if time permits. Auditor is a tricky one because there are a lot of parameters one can tweak.

I originally prepared examples at a number of different stretch amounts for the first set but didn’t include them because with these sources at each TimeStretch amount the relative quality seemed the same to me.

Interesting. I so far did not use any of these for "serious" time stretching, do not have BM or Koala. But I do love sEGments for many reasons. But it sounded really bad in this test. Thanks for the test.

sEGments great for a lot of things. But for time-stretching it isn’t. The best bang for the buck seems to be Koala. A number of apps are all in the Koala/BM3 ball park in terms of quality. BlocsWave is in that ballpark. Cubasis, Twisted Wave, Zenbeats, and MultiTrack Recorder sounds good, too. I still haven’t figured it a good way to post the examples for good comparison. I’ll try to do that next week.

• @krassmann said:
    Auditor?

I haven’t finished evaluating Auditor and want to spend some more time before sharing the examples from it. The parameters it provides make a big difference and for the examples I was using, the presets gave results better than sEGments (much better) but not as good as BM3 or Koala, and I would like to see if with some tweaking I can match the best. Auria Pro is also in the group at the top.

The big surprise for me so far has been that Ableton and Serato Sample did not necessarily stand out. Ableton is maybe a little more transparent than the others. To me Serato was not better than the others which was a surprise.

• Ah woah, it’s amazing you lot consider koala to even be in the same ballpark as Bm3/elastique, i really didn’t think koala could be kept at such a low price with the license fees of something like elastique (I don’t know how much it costs but I heard it ain’t cheap.) so I had to make my own.

Can’t talk too much about the algorithm, but it’s actually really simple (like 200 lines of code), I Did a lot of listening tests comparing with Ableton’s complex mode (which I think is also elastique), sort of developed it more by listening to it as I went rather than trying to get the maths right. Tbh, I don’t 100% know what it’s doing mathematically, it’s probably doing some horrific stuff to the signal phase.

I have a bunch of improvements to do to it, I think someone mentioned that it does something to the stereo field, and it also occasionally smears a transient, and also it behaves well for percussive things but if you take a Rhodes passage or something soft, it can go slightly off the rails.

• @elf_audio said:
    Ah woah, it’s amazing you lot consider koala to even be in the same ballpark as Bm3/elastique, i really didn’t think koala could be kept at such a low price with the license fees of something like elastique (I don’t know how much it costs but I heard it ain’t cheap.) so I had to make my own.

Can’t talk too much about the algorithm, but it’s actually really simple (like 200 lines of code), I Did a lot of listening tests comparing with Ableton’s complex mode (which I think is also elastique), sort of developed it more by listening to it as I went rather than trying to get the maths right. Tbh, I don’t 100% know what it’s doing mathematically, it’s probably doing some horrific stuff to the signal phase.

I have a bunch of improvements to do to it, I think someone mentioned that it does something to the stereo field, and it also occasionally smears a transient, and also it behaves well for percussive things but if you take a Rhodes passage or something soft, it can go slightly off the rails.

Please use your magic on an au sampler. You’d make a lot of us very happy 😂

• edited September 2021

@espiegel123 any chance you can run the same test through the new sEGments timestretch algorithm?

@Paa89 has done a comparison here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/46883/segments-sonic-time-stretch-test-with-cubasis-3-and-bm3#latest
    but would be good to hear it with your test

• @gregsmith said:
    @espiegel123 any chance you can run the same test through the new sEGments timestretch algorithm?

@Paa89 has done a comparison here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/46883/segments-sonic-time-stretch-test-with-cubasis-3-and-bm3#latest

I'll try to get to it in the next couple of days.

• @espiegel123 said:

@gregsmith said:

I'll try to get to it in the next couple of days.

Thanks man!

• @gregsmith said:

Here is the Cocteau Twins time stretching example. One is Koala. One is sEGments with its Pro algo. One is sEGments with its original. I'll try to get to the other sources I used in the next few days. The original tempo was 63.5bpm and is slowed to 40bpm here.

• @espiegel123 said:

@gregsmith said:

Here is the Cocteau Twins time stretching example. One is Koala. One is sEGments with its Pro algo. One is sEGments with its original. I'll try to get to the other sources I used in the next few days. The original tempo was 63.5bpm and is slowed to 40bpm here.

First one sounds smoothest to me, second one sounds ok but the guitar is a bit messed up, third one the guitar sounds obliterated.

So are they in the order you said?

• @gregsmith said:

@espiegel123 said:

@gregsmith said:

First one sounds smoothest to me, second one sounds ok but the guitar is a bit messed up, third one the guitar sounds obliterated.

I'll reveal order later so as to not bias people's comparisons too much.

• edited September 2021

@espiegel123 said:

@gregsmith said:

@espiegel123 said:

@gregsmith said:

Cool. I didn’t know if it was a blind test or you’d just said the order already 😂

Thanks for taking the time to do it 👍

• Something tells me that the sEGments high-quality algorithm is still using warp markers and this is creating audio artefacts. Usually, warp markers are only used for drum breaks or material that's close to the original tempo. Then you get a granular based algorithm for textures and the high-quality algorithm is generally formant based for time stretching vocals (and supposedly fully mixed material). And these high-quality algorithms tend to smear the transients, which is fine if you're overlaying a new rhythm section but sounds kind of flat of fully mixed material even near the original tempo.

This is why the majority of Ableton DJs tend to stick to beat warping on fully mixed material. A DJ will usually stick to a maximum of 8-16% pitch bend range and beat warping holds up well on fully mixed material in this range (especially the sub 10% part).

• To augment that last post, it's not that a DAW like Ableton stops you from placing warp markers on audio that's being processed with its high-quality algorithm, it's just that the end result will suffer from 'warble' artefacts.

• @espiegel123 said:

@gregsmith said:

@espiegel123 said:

@gregsmith said:

Don’t think anyone else wants to guess this time 😉

So what’s the order?

• edited September 2021

I'd love to hear how the different algos handle more challenging sounds like percussive sounds with shorter and longer transients, rhythmic loops, polyphonic arps, staccato playing etc., especially regarding the difference that the new sEGments IAP makes...

• @gregsmith said:

@espiegel123 said:

@gregsmith said:

@espiegel123 said:

@gregsmith said:

So what’s the order?

Koala first then the new algo then the old

• @rs2000 said:
    I'd love to hear how the different algos handle more challenging sounds like percussive sounds with shorter and longer transients, rhythmic loops, polyphonic arps, staccato playing etc., especially regarding the difference that the new sEGments IAP makes...

Maybe someone else can do it. I won't have time.

• @espiegel123 said:

@gregsmith said:

@espiegel123 said:

@gregsmith said:

@espiegel123 said:

@gregsmith said:

So what’s the order?

Koala first then the new algo then the old

Thanks for doing this. Koala still a bit better then but not massively.

• If you just listed the apps, no audio, I would have guessed BM3, Segments, Koala. After audio it’s clearly B, A, C to my ears. Koala, BM3, (very close) and segments in last.

Thanks @espiegel123 for doing this , this is a cool little test. I was hoping for better results from sEGments, but good to know the true quality of koala. I have all 3. Any others for comparison would be welcomed. I see you are working on it. Maybe break them into categories, either by type of app, or price, or whatever. I would definitely be interested in hearing a few of the other apps mentioned above just to see what my best options are….

Just a thought… Maybe use same samples with same everything just use 3 new apps. Instead of a long list, there will be 3 apps in each. Just thinking out loud. Lol.

Thanks again.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    If you just listed the apps, no audio, I would have guessed BM3, Segments, Koala. After audio it’s clearly B, A, C to my ears. Koala, BM3, (very close) and segments in last.

Thanks @espiegel123 for doing this , this is a cool little test. I was hoping for better results from sEGments, but good to know the true quality of koala. I have all 3. Any others for comparison would be welcomed. I see you are working on it. Maybe break them into categories, either by type of app, or price, or whatever. I would definitely be interested in hearing a few of the other apps mentioned above just to see what my best options are….

Just a thought… Maybe use same samples with same everything just use 3 new apps. Instead of a long list, there will be 3 apps in each. Just thinking out loud. Lol.

Thanks again.

To be honest, in all the tests that I've done...even with different material, the relative quality has been similar when the tempo is slowed significantly. When the tempo is slowed less, the the differences are less noticeable.

• @espiegel123 Were you using the new IAP for higher quality time stretching on Segments?