Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Your favourite creative sequencers

I'm looking for a new creative playground. The only thing I really have in this department is Riffer and what LK and Atom 2 have to offer, like probability and chaos. I mean Riffer is nice but there is not much more to do than setting the scale and root note and rolling the dice. Somehow I have my doubts.... Does music really just by chance.

I also found some hardware reviews I've seen quite inspiring:

• Arturia KeyStep 37
  • Torso T-1

Of course I'd also like a cool app to load up into AUM in a MIDI track. So what are your favorites. Hardware or App?

Comments

• Yamaha RM1X if hardwares your bag. Squarp Pyramid will get you to a similar place but is pricier (though much smaller!)

• edited March 2021

In terms of AU, there are lots of options: Autony, StepBud, MidiSteps, MidiDreams, cykle. All of these have probability controls. They are actually a lot more in-depth than Keystep. Most also have AU parameters, so you could route other LFOs or other modulation sources for more surprises.

Other options: try using mirack or Drambo as a midi sequencers.

• i have a keystep 37 and it’s very cool. my favorite is putting it in record mode and playing out notes on the keyboard and when it’s done you have a fun sequence you can playback and change speeds and pitches , overdub on top of it. it’s very intuitively layer out and has a fast workflow. i highly recommended it

• edited March 2021

I like the ones that I build in Drambo the most haha.
    But also, Poly 2 has a very fun sequencer - probably a bit similar to that Torso T-1 sequencer actually.
    The new Art Kerns app, MidiDreams has a very unique function where you can advance the sequencer by note input. Kind of like how physical gate / sync inputs work on hardware synths like the sh-101, microbrute, or SQ-1.
    MiRack (and VCV rack even more so) have a number of unique and powerful sequencers.
    And finally, I'm sure you are aware of Fugue Machine - doesn't get much cooler than that really.

For hardware, the old Alesis MMT8 never let me down. Loved syncing it to tape. Even bought a 2nd one so I could simultaneously run patterns of different lengths.

Have you checked out the Keystep Pro sequencer? I really like some of its functions like probability, quantize to scale, ping pong and reverse playback, etc. Quite a powerful device actually.

• edited March 2021

Fugue Machine, Senode, Gestrument Pro, Poly 2.

Also +1 on Quantum.

• I'd say miRack. Lots of creative possibilities with the included sequencers...

• I’ve been enjoying polyphase (despite it not being auv3) –I have found it easier to get something musical out of the randomness than I have with riffer. Cykle is fun too.

• Having for example Octachron with a straightforward pattern 16 step and then have Rozeta Cells play, say a 5 step pattern driving the same instrument gives nice results. Similarly, with Rozeta Rhythm and Cykle, or Poly2. All possible inside Drambo for added possibilities.

• edited March 2021

For hardware : Squarp Pyramid, without any doubt. Powered by the iPad.

• edited March 2021

I agree that Quantum is awesome as the highest evolution of old school step sequencing on IOS, but have to also put in a bid for Cykle, which has the added advantage of being AU: https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/cykle/id1187680637. As far as I know, it is the only sequencer on IOS that allows you to separate all elements of a sequence: pitch, transposition, gates, probability etc... from each other, and run them at different lengths and subdivisions of tempi.

The result is that it is very quick to get something that evolves in interesting but not wholly unpredictable ways, off the back of a very small handful of notes. It is my base go-to on almost everything I do, from which I will trigger Aphelian, or maybe throw one of Art Kerns’ Probability Gates in there to thin the event stream.

• On iOS Drambo is your OctaTrack on iOS.
    Hardware wise I’d look at the PolyEnd Tracker in addition to the ones mentioned here.

• edited March 2021

Quantum, PolyPhase, and don’t forget THYSIS by SugarBytes
    Also Egoist

AND Xequencer has a random function too Polyhymnia

• Xynthesizr

• @Johnba said:
    Xynthesizr

Yes!

• @Jumpercollins is this what I think it is? A hardware tracker? Cool idea.

• edited March 2021

@audiblevideo said:
    Quantum, PolyPhase, and don’t forget THYSIS by SugarBytes
    Also Egoist

AND Xequencer has a random function too Polyhymnia

Very good sequencer from Sugar Bytes - Thesys. But I don't use it anymore because of no "Sausage Fingers" mode :)

• Wow, that‘s great recommendations. Will need some time to check them out. Thank you so much.

• Rozeta Particles/Collider controlled by Apematrix is big fun.

• edited March 2021

I really love the step sequencer on the Mother-32. At first it seemed pretty functional compared to the fancy iOS stuff I'd been using, but what I grew to love is how you can fire it up start with an init patch (which is just a single 8th note divided by the current clock division) to begin jamming instantly, then intuitively and logically jam with it and develop it in a really natural flow, until you end up with something that's developed through a musical process. I almost never load an existing patch because it's just more fun to start with a blank state.

Helps that the synth voice is so nice too, and the hold/reset CV gates add plenty of scope for randomisation.

• @Proto said:
    Rozeta Particles/Collider controlled by Apematrix is big fun.

Particles and Collider are tools I use everyday. Particles is particularly great for leads. Collider for bass. I love using them in conjunction with MIDITools (@blueveek s) Curve and De-Ghost, and MidiGates (Art Kerns)

TIP:
    If you use a drum sequencer and want to pair it down interactively De-Ghost is great. Set it to block all notes and set your time(s). It gives great variation and groove.

• ❤️ cykle! Happy accidents await..

• @eross said: i have a keystep 37 and it’s very cool. my favorite is putting it in record mode and playing out notes on the keyboard and when it’s done you have a fun sequence you can playback and change speeds and pitches , overdub on top of it. it’s very intuitively layer out and has a fast workflow. i highly recommended it

+1

• @legsmechanical said:
    Yamaha RM1X if hardwares your bag. Squarp Pyramid will get you to a similar place but is pricier (though much smaller!)

+2

• @krassmann said:
    @Jumpercollins is this what I think it is? A hardware tracker? Cool idea.

@krassmann Yes it is what @echoopera suggested. I love one he owns one.

• Pure Acid hits the spot for me.

• I'd suggest giving Different Drummer a try. There's quite a bit of random built in. It's a bit long in the tooth, but still very useful. Here's an example:

Or if drones are your thing:

• @Proto said:
    Rozeta Particles/Collider controlled by Apematrix is big fun.

Right, I forgot about them although I use the Rozeta suite a lot. Mostly the arpeggiator, Rhythm and Bassline. I have to dig into the other two as well.

• @lasselu said:
    I'd say miRack. Lots of creative possibilities with the included sequencers.

Ya i would say/think that mirack is the app with the most complex sequencing capabilities , you can get some wild patches going if you already know what you’re doing or willing to learn.

Lots of other pre designed apps that are more plug and play as mentioned here.

For random generating or more off the grid i tend to go with stepbud, poly2/ drambo/ cykle, polyphase often as well