Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

what is best place to learn guitar chords ?

edited March 2021 in Other

[spammy ad removed]

Comments

• The woodshed? :*

• 🤣

Nice one!

• Guitar-chords.org.uk is a good one
    8notes.com is good too

• I'd start out on a guitar

• In all seriousness, a good starting point is your open chords, major, minor, dominant, 7ths, 9ths, sus2 and sus4. Then learning how to barre E shapes, A shapes, D shapes, C shapes, and G shapes -- in that order. In terms of scales, don't get stuck in the pentatonic minor. If anything, get stuck on the major scale

• edited March 2021

@audiobussy said:
    In all seriousness, a good starting point is your open chords, major, minor, dominant, 7ths, 9ths, sus2 and sus4. Then learning how to barre E shapes, A shapes, D shapes, C shapes, and G shapes -- in that order. In terms of scales, don't get stuck in the pentatonic minor. If anything, get stuck on the major scale

This. And learn the intervals. That way you can make a chord, or partial chord, anywhere you like, instead of being stuck learning patterns.

Inversions are also super handy. You don’t even have to think of them as inversions. Just take the root note and move it up an octave, and you have the same chord, only it sounds different. You can move around the fretboard this way.

• @mistercharlie said:

@audiobussy said:
    In all seriousness, a good starting point is your open chords, major, minor, dominant, 7ths, 9ths, sus2 and sus4. Then learning how to barre E shapes, A shapes, D shapes, C shapes, and G shapes -- in that order. In terms of scales, don't get stuck in the pentatonic minor. If anything, get stuck on the major scale

This. And learn the intervals. That way you can make a chord, or partial chord, anywhere you like, instead of being stuck learning patterns.

Inversions are also super handy. You don’t even have to think of them as inversions. Just take the root note and move it up an octave, and you have the same chord, only it sounds different. You can move around the fretboard this way.

Great advice and related in my mind to learning the major scale. You can also learn intervals as lengths on your "one-string" guitar . Partial chords are killin'

• Youtube would be great. But if you really want to learn guitar professionally, find a reliable mentor.

• I started a long time ago with Ultimate Guitar Tab website and then later on the app. To learn songs I liked at my playing level, as I learned more songs I learned more chords. It has diagrams for every chord, even plays the sound, and choose chord positions. App was a paid app but made free a few years ago maybe... Ultimate Guitar Tabs.

• I also found the best way to learn chords is to learn songs.

Learning any chord all by itself never did anything for me. For example min7b5 and 13 (eg. Bb13, F13). Chords like those started making more sense to me when learned as part of a song.

• @GovernorSilver said:
    I also found the best way to learn chords is to learn songs.

Learning any chord all by itself never did anything for me. For example min7b5 and 13 (eg. Bb13, F13). Chords like those started making more sense to me when learned as part of a song.

Yea definitely. It’s also more fun to learn songs you like and want to play, plus you know the rhythm from hearing/listening to the song already. A lot of Beatles songs, Nirvana acoustic Unplugged songs, are fairly easy. So I’d recommend finding songs that you like that are on your guitar playing level and learn them and as you learn more songs you learn more chords. you can immediately apply the chords into your own songwriting. Just learning a chord on its own can be useful, but it doesn’t do much for your strumming, chord changing, and progressions. And what’s as important as the actual chords is changing between them quickly, and smoothly without missing a beat, at least in the beginning.

• @Poppadocrock said:

@GovernorSilver said:
    I also found the best way to learn chords is to learn songs.

Yea definitely. It’s also more fun to learn songs you like and want to play, plus you know the rhythm from hearing/listening to the song already. A lot of Beatles songs, Nirvana acoustic Unplugged songs, are fairly easy. So I’d recommend finding songs that you like that are on your guitar playing level and learn them and as you learn more songs you learn more chords. you can immediately apply the chords into your own songwriting. Just learning a chord on its own can be useful, but it doesn’t do much for your strumming, chord changing, and progressions. And what’s as important as the actual chords is changing between them quickly, and smoothly without missing a beat, at least in the beginning.

Even in the very beginning, when my roommate gave me my very first guitar lessons, the open-string C and G chords didn't mean anything to me until he showed me how to put them together to play "Love Me Do".

This is a song I started learning more recently. It starts with a whole sequence of chords that sound all weird or whatever by themselves, but when sequenced like this into a song, they make more sense. And yeah, it doesn't sound very good if the transitions from chord to chord aren't smooth and in time.

• I signed up for Fender Play. They have a nice batch of tabs, and at "bulk pricing," I can pick and choose what to fool around with on a whim. Some of the revenue from the subscription goes to the original artists, so I don't feel like I'm ripping them off. There's a ton of videos walking through songs and different techniques.

For a beginning guitarist, I think it'd be a great resource. I've been playing for years, so there's not much technique-wise that's new, but just having all the tab at my fingertips any time I want -- yeah, that's cool.