Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom | Piano Roll 2 is now available

Comments

• edited June 2021

@Edward_Alexander said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    @tk32 @blueveek @Samu or anyone else in the know with a launchpad, are the chosen scales in Atom reflected on the launchpad in any way?

I was playing with this last night. The scales menu has several options for what you want to do with notes that are outside of the chosen scale. (Like ignore, send to white keys, send to next key up or down) Choosing a scale doesn’t change anything visually on the Launchpad, but there’s a lot of different layouts in the “Note” section (of the LP) that can be utilized with your chosen scale(s).

Not to mention, the LP Pro MK3 has a bunch of scales of its own that can be enabled. (I’m not sure about any other LP models as I’ve only ever had this one.)

Thanks for the insight. I was hoping the Launchpad could reflect what’s going on with atom in that way instead of setting them up manually on the launchpad etc. Some of the initial videos seemed promising since it appeared to respond to colors, clips, etc. I figured scales was a thing it’d also show.

I don’t actually own a launchpad but was thinking about maybe grabbing one if the Atom Piano Roll integration was tight enough. Does anyone know if some integration like this could be added via scripting etc?

@Gravitas and @echoopera are two that I can think of that may be able to answer that. They know a lot more about that kind of stuff. I’m more of a plug and pray kinda guy myself lol. I just want stuff to work so I can get on with making music, but I’m pretty sure that kind of thing can be done.

Thanks for the holla @Edward_Alexander

I actually don't have Atom 2.
    All of the stuff I've been doing with the LP X uses dRambo,
    straightforward midi and custom mappings using MidiSynth Control.

For instance my current mappings on the LP X are as follows.

Custom mappings 1 Clip launcher
    Custom mappings 2+3 used to program my 32 step drum sequencer live
    Custom mappings 4 generic controller cc messages 77-84 for 2nd ipad

How I get the lights flashing is by sending note on/off messages.

Stuff could be done with scripting.
    Have a look for the programmers manual for your Launchpad version
    as there are sysex specific messages that can assist in exploring the full potential of a Launchpad.

I don't know if Atom2 has sysex capabilities but I have heard
    good things about Atom2 and it's integration with Launchpads.

Thinking about it maybe you could also use something like Mosaic or StreamByter.

All depends upon how deep you want to get.

• wimwim
    edited June 2021

@Gravitas said:

It does have sysex capability. B)

Thinking about it maybe you could also use something like Mosaic or StreamByter.

One advantage Atom brings is direct two way communication with the controller. Mozaic and StreamByter require a bit more complicated routing, especially if there are multiple Atom 2 instances involved.

• @wim said:

@Gravitas said:

Very cool.
    Is this universal or device specific?

One advantage Atom brings is direct two way communication with the controller. Mozaic and StreamByter require a bit more complicated routing, especially if there are multiple Atom 2 instances involved.

Yup, that could get really complicated rather quickly.

• @Gravitas said:

@wim said:

@Gravitas said:

Very cool.

Sorry, I’m not sure I understand the question.

Atom 2 can exchange any midi data with any device. All you need to do is identify the Core Midi port name(s) it identifies itself by to establish communication. Whether or not the device sends and/or responds to sysex or other midi data is device specific.

• @wim said:

@Gravitas said:

@wim said:

@Gravitas said:

Very cool.

Sorry, I’m not sure I understand the question.

Atom 2 can exchange any midi data with any device. All you need to do is identify the Core Midi port name(s) it identifies itself by to establish communication. Whether or not the device sends and/or responds to sysex or other midi data is device specific.

Apologies for my wording.

Your answer was precisely what I needed.

Thank you.

• Thanks this sounds promising I’ll try work it out and report back

@tk32 said:

@wexy said:
    @Samu @tk32
    Yeah I have it disabled ATM I was hoping to re-enabled it and bypass session loading but it seems that's not possible at least ATM
    Thanks guys

no problem. It should be possible to fork the existing script file and create your own hacked version that doesn't put the Launchpad in session mode when detected.

Just name your hacked version slightly differently and then drag & drop it over Atom to get it added to the list of scripts available in all instances.

• edited June 2021

That was too easy

I commented out the 1 line of code and loaded the file now it doesn't switch to session view every AUM session load...

setSessionLayoutMessage() {
    /* return Util.sysEx(this.id, [SysEx.setLayout, SysEx.sessionLayout, 0, 0]); */
    }

• Is there a way to increase the zoom level of Atom2?? I have 36 bars and I can’t select all. (Other then double tapping but want to grab like 32 bars and shift over, but can’t…..)

Is there a way to insert empty bars or silence?

If none of the above how can I select notes and drag to the end of bars (that can’t be seen). Like a moving cursor?

Thanks!

• edited June 2021

-

• @onerez said:
    Is there a way to increase the zoom level of Atom2?? I have 36 bars and I can’t select all. (Other then double tapping but want to grab like 32 bars and shift over, but can’t…..)

If none of the above how can I select notes and drag to the end of bars (that can’t be seen). Like a moving cursor?

Thanks!

There seems to be a limit to how far you can zoom out .

• @espiegel123 said:

@onerez said:
    Is there a way to increase the zoom level of Atom2?? I have 36 bars and I can’t select all. (Other then double tapping but want to grab like 32 bars and shift over, but can’t…..)

Thanks!

There seems to be a limit to how far you can zoom out .

Thanks. Is there a wait then to select from beginning and keep dragging until the end? Other it stops when you hit end of UI.

• Is there a written manual for this? Can’t find it on Audioveek website, and I dislike watching videos instead of reading.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Is there a written manual for this? Can’t find it on Audioveek website, and I dislike watching videos instead of reading.

It’s in the app…. Click the hamburger icon top right.

• @onerez said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Is there a written manual for this? Can’t find it on Audioveek website, and I dislike watching videos instead of reading.

It’s in the app…. Click the hamburger icon top right.

Thank you

• edited June 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Owgill said:
    Is there a new manual?

No - being worked on.

• edited June 2021

@ervin said:

@cian said:

@tk32 said:
    @ervin

I'm 1-2 days away from updating the in-app (and tinyurl) manual with an all-new version. Here's a sneak preview:

This is beautiful work. In my day job I interact with designers a fair bit, and it's rare to see something that looks this good AND which communicates so clearly.

+1

+1 another 1.

• edited June 2021

I’ve just got this for Drumkit, only have one pattern going in AUM, but it keeps stuttering for a beat or two every 30 secs-1 min or so, as if the tempos are off between AUM and Atom and it is resyncing (just a theory, not sure what is really going on). Am I doing something wrong? Again, not using any advanced features or anything, just a simple 4 bar pattern, no fancy time signatures, and I’m getting these hiccups.

• @oat_phipps said:
    I’ve just got this for Drumkit, only have one pattern going in AUM, but it keeps stuttering for a beat or two every 30 secs-1 min or so, as if the tempos are off between AUM and Atom and it is resyncing (just a theory, not sure what is really going on). Am I doing something wrong? Again, not using any advanced features or anything, just a simple 4 bar pattern, no fancy time signatures, and I’m getting these hiccups.

How strange. I've not encountered a bug like this yet after many months of testing. Feel free to PM me the project.

Does it also happen if you unload Drumkit, or replace it with another app - such as a synth?

• @tk32 said:

@oat_phipps said:

How strange. I've not encountered a bug like this yet after many months of testing. Feel free to PM me the project.

Does it also happen if you unload Drumkit, or replace it with another app - such as a synth?

I’ll try it with other stuff soon as I get a chance.

• @oat_phipps said:

@tk32 said:

@oat_phipps said:

I haven’t seen anything like that, and I’ve been using it a lot.

You might just need to restart your IPad/phone.

• edited June 2021

Checking back; It’s rock solid with both Ruismaker drums if I just swipe Drumkit out and load them in. If I remove them and load Drumkit back in (both with the transport/atom pattern still running, even, and also if I stop and start it), it goes back to the intermittent gaps. I can still send you the project file if you wish, but it seems like it’s an FAC problem, so I’ll try to get a message to him.

• @Edward_Alexander said:

@oat_phipps said:

@tk32 said:

@oat_phipps said:

Have you been using it with the FAC Drumkit? It’s the only app I’m having a problem with.

• @oat_phipps said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@oat_phipps said:

@tk32 said:

@oat_phipps said:

Have you been using it with the FAC Drumkit? It’s the only app I’m having a problem with.

Yes. Haven’t noticed any issues. Have you rebooted?

• @Edward_Alexander said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@oat_phipps said:

@tk32 said:

@oat_phipps said:

Yup, have just now. Still a problem. But only with Drumkit it seems.

• edited June 2021

Went and checked it with apeMatrix as well. It seems to have the pause/gap less in apeMatrix, but it’s still there. Can a brother just get an OB-x Linndrum jam going on a sunny afternoon?

• @oat_phipps said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@oat_phipps said:

@tk32 said:

@oat_phipps said:

In AUM?

I’m trying to recreate the issue here at work with just my phone (11 Pro max w/14.6).

So I have AUM open, with a single instance of FAC Drumkit on an audio channel, and a single instance of Atom 2 (oh, I’m on the Atom 2 beta so that might make a difference) driving it.

Created a 4 bar pattern - just thought of something - you say there’s a “hiccup”? Have you tried discarding the Atom instance and adding a new one? The reason I ask, is because if you might have deleted notes and entered other notes elsewhere in the same instance, there may still be some invisible “black box” data still present from the deleted parts.

I think @blueveek has already addressed this, but I’ve still been making it a habit to discard the whole instance to really “clear” it and work with a fresh instance.

Just thinking out loud here as my 4 bar pattern continues to loop in time, without any issues.

• edited June 2021

@Edward_Alexander said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@oat_phipps said:

@tk32 said:

@oat_phipps said:

In AUM?

I’m trying to recreate the issue here at work with just my phone (11 Pro max w/14.6).

So I have AUM open, with a single instance of FAC Drumkit on an audio channel, and a single instance of Atom 2 (oh, I’m on the Atom 2 beta so that might make a difference) driving it.

Created a 4 bar pattern - just thought of something - you say there’s a “hiccup”? Have you tried discarding the Atom instance and adding a new one? The reason I ask, is because if you might have deleted notes and entered other notes elsewhere in the same instance, there may still be some invisible “black box” data still present from the deleted parts.

I think @blueveek has already addressed this, but I’ve still been making it a habit to discard the whole instance to really “clear” it and work with a fresh instance.

Just thinking out loud here as my 4 bar pattern continues to loop in time, without any issues.

Well, I just switched to apeMatrix and loaded Drumkit and Atom 2 fresh, made a quick pattern, and still have the problem, although that stutter/gap happens much less often in apeMatrix for some reason. Switching to Ruismaker and adding to the pattern due to different midi notes, and it’s rock solid. I dunno what the deal is. Sent FAC a message. We’ll see. Bummer.

• @oat_phipps said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@oat_phipps said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@oat_phipps said:

@tk32 said:

@oat_phipps said:

In AUM?

Well, I just switched to apeMatrix and loaded Drumkit and Atom 2 fresh, made a quick pattern, and still have the problem, although that stutter/gap happens much less often in apeMatrix for some reason. I dunno what the deal is

Interesting! Well so much for my theory lol