Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom | Piano Roll 2 is now available

Comments

• edited March 2021

@wim said:
    So ... speaking of Drambo. Without being able to change patterns in an instance by MIDI message, I'm struggling to picture a good workflow in Drambo.

Apps are common to all patterns in Drambo. They don't change per pattern. So ... If I have a Drambo project with 10 patterns, I guess I need 10 instances of Atom 2, serial-route them with pass-thru, disable the nine that I don't want and enable the one that I do each time I change a pattern. Or, am I missing something?

Contrast that with being able to select the active pattern with a mapped MIDI Note. One instance, and just change the pattern by placing a note in the Drambo sequencer.

I'm also thinking of other hosts that have limitations in the number of MIDI FX, or awkward interfaces for selecting them, or other issues.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like either I must be fundamentally overlooking something, or that changing patterns by MIDI really is essential. Focusing so much just on what works well in AUM and with the Launchpad seems like maybe it's not the best way to look at things.

What are you wanting to make Drambo do using instances of Atom?

I think you're limited to one Atom = 1 Midi track.
    But that doesn't mean you couldn't use the many ways that Drambo is capable of being automated and able to route signals to do all sorts of cool stuff.

• @horsetrainer said:

@wim said:
    So ... speaking of Drambo. Without being able to change patterns in an instance by MIDI message, I'm struggling to picture a good workflow in Drambo.

Apps are common to all patterns in Drambo. They don't change per pattern. So ... If I have a Drambo project with 10 patterns, I guess I need 10 instances of Atom 2, serial-route them with pass-thru, disable the nine that I don't want and enable the one that I do each time I change a pattern. Or, am I missing something?

Contrast that with being able to select the active pattern with a mapped MIDI Note. One instance, and just change the pattern by placing a note in the Drambo sequencer.

I'm also thinking of other hosts that have limitations in the number of MIDI FX, or awkward interfaces for selecting them, or other issues.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like either I must be fundamentally overlooking something, or that changing patterns by MIDI really is essential. Focusing so much just on what works well in AUM and with the Launchpad seems like maybe it's not the best way to look at things.

What are you wanting to make Drambo do using instances of Atom?

I think you're limited to one Atom = 1 Midi track.
    But that doesn't mean you couldn't use the many ways that Drambo is capable of being automated and able to route signals to do all sorts of cool stuff.

I think he wants the pattern in Atom to change when Drambo changes patterns. As it is now, many instances of Atom would need to be created, with some mixing logic to to get them to follow Drambo in a multi pattern composition. It's not very streamlined, especially if that 'instance' of Atom is controlling a single track. I wouldn't want (e.g.) 8 instances of atom on EVERY track, if I had 8 Drambo patterns in my project. So the solution would be to just allow pattern switching within Atom.

• Yes, this.

• @wim said:
    Yes, this.

Would it be better if Drambo had a new clock feature that would enable the Drambo clock output BOTH "a follow the total length of all patterns linearly" as it does now. AND a new feature where the Drambo clock would sync the position the playhead relative to it's play position within each pattern according to the pattern number sequence...

This way having four "2-Bar Patterns in Drambo where each Pattern plays twice" , would require just "one Atom track 8 Bars long". You could record a different pattern onto each two-bar section of the Atom track, and Drambo would control which parts the playhead would play.

If you were to watch the play head in Atom following this type of Drambo sync. You would see the Atom playhead loop twice over each set of two bars on the Atom track (Bars 1+2, then 3+4, then 5+6, etc...), until it reached the end. Because it's following this "special mode" of Drambo "pattern playhead clock sync".

Just an idea. :)

• edited March 2021

@winconway said:

@ashh said:
    When I connect my Launchpad Pro mk3 via AUM and a synth then Atom 2 causes the synth to make a high pitched sound after an initial note/key press. 2018 iPad Pro, 14.4.

In AUM if I connect the LPP to a synth on the same channel as Atom then there's no problem. AUM > Bluetooth > LPP > Atom > Atom > synth = high pitched noise.

What are you using with Bluetooth?

Can you try this.
    1 Launch AUM
    2 Create a MIDI channel
    3 Load Atom on to that channel
    4 Create an audio channel
    5 Load a synth on to that channel and set its MIDI input to the Atom
    6 check to see if slot 1 track 1 is lit on your LP
    7 Enter some notes in Atom and launch it with the LP

Sorry but you lost me with 6. I use the midi routing panel in AUM. So I have the BT hardware into the LP and then AUM BT input going to Atom and then Atom to the synth. I then use Note or Chord on the LP. The only time slots or tracks are available is in Bitwig using Mosgraber's script or Ableton. Nothing lit up like that when I used Atom 2.

1. Entered note into synth via LP key press in Note, high pitched noise starts a few seconds after the note ends.

eta: I'll try plugging the LP USB straight into my ipad. I use BT so that I dont have to do that but for the purposes of research, here we go!

OH... I see. Yes. There it is. Feeling pretty emotional rn. That is awesome! Wow! Woo and indeed hoo. Do not ask for whom the synth tolls, it tolls for theeeeeeeeeeeee.

So, no high pitched noise via USB. Bluetooth is a different matter.

• edited March 2021

@ashh said:
    Sorry but you lost me with 6. I use the midi routing panel in AUM. So I have the AUM BT input going to Atom and then Atom to the synth. I then use Note or Chord on the LP. The only time slots or tracks are available is in Bitwig using Mosgraber's script or Ableton. Nothing lit up like that when I used Atom 2.

You don't need to route anything in AUM. Connect your Launchpad directly to your iPad (or through a powered USB hub). I don't know how you can use bluetooth because the Launchpad Mk3's don't have bluetooth afaik. If you have some sort of adapter in between, that's not something I've tested yet (and likely to not work).

• Read through this thread and maybe I missed it, but is there a way to clear a current clip, or use undo, from a launchpad pro? Or during overdubbing/continual recording while looping, have it overwrite? Or do I have to do this from the iPad display?

Really really really fantastic work. Feel like creating another appleID just to buy it again to support you. Or have a PayPal I can just throw loot at?

• edited March 2021

@AlmostAnonymous said:
    Read through this thread and maybe I missed it, but is there a way to clear a current clip, or use undo, from a launchpad pro? Or during overdubbing/continual recording while looping, have it overwrite? Or do I have to do this from the iPad display?

There's some new "Delete notes" and "Reset pattern" controls in the latest version, but they're not exposed to the Lp pro yet. How about using the "Clear" button on the left on the controller, would that do the trick?

Really really really fantastic work. Feel like creating another appleID just to buy it again to support you. Or have a PayPal I can just throw loot at?

Thank you! No PayPal, but I appreciate it.

• @blueveek said:

@ashh said:
    Sorry but you lost me with 6. I use the midi routing panel in AUM. So I have the AUM BT input going to Atom and then Atom to the synth. I then use Note or Chord on the LP. The only time slots or tracks are available is in Bitwig using Mosgraber's script or Ableton. Nothing lit up like that when I used Atom 2.

You don't need to route anything in AUM. Connect your Launchpad directly to your iPad (or through a powered USB hub). I don't know how you can use bluetooth because the Launchpad Mk3's don't have bluetooth afaik. If you have some sort of adapter in between, that's not something I've tested yet (and likely to not work).

Ty. I have edited my post.

• @ashh said:

OH... I see. Yes. There it is. Feeling pretty emotional rn. That is awesome! Wow! Woo and indeed hoo. Do not ask for whom the synth tolls, it tolls for theeeeeeeeeeeee.

\o/

Please be sure to also read my first post on this thread about "pad assignment" and "auto routing".

• @blueveek said:

@ashh said:

Not sure what you mean by not needing to route anything in AUM? Atom needs to be routed to whatever it's playing, right? And the LP needs to be routed too. I know you're v busy rn so perhaps someone else can help me out here?

• @blueveek said:

@ashh said:

\o/

Please be sure to also read my first post on this thread about "pad assignment" and "auto routing".

Will do. Thanks for Atom 2. I'm sure you know but you really really don't. This is the loom upon which we will weave.

• @ashh said:

@blueveek said:

@ashh said:

Not sure what you mean by not needing to route anything in AUM? Atom needs to be routed to whatever it's playing, right? And the LP needs to be routed too. I know you're v busy rn so perhaps someone else can help me out here?

You only need to route atom clips to the right instruments. For everything else, read my first post.

• @blueveek said:

@ashh said:

@blueveek said:

@ashh said:

You only need to route atom clips to the right instruments. For everything else, read my first post.

On it, thanks.

• Awesome app!
    @blueveek : is there a way to record and edit midi continuous cc ?

• @whywhy said:
    Awesome app!
    @blueveek : is there a way to record and edit midi continuous cc ?

currently not , but the dev said it's coming , check previous pages :)

• has anybody done any videos yet with the launchpad? i’m still trying to wrap my head around how that will work. i thought i saw a pre release video with launchpad a long time ago?

• edited March 2021

Is the default velocity of notes 100? It seems to be, but I just wanted to make sure as the velocity slider affects + and - values on what's already there rather than actually showing the figure. But adding 27 seemed to get the bar on the note itself all the way to the right hand side, so that's 127, so default is 100. I think.

• @eross said:
    has anybody done any videos yet with the launchpad? i’m still trying to wrap my head around how that will work. i thought i saw a pre release video with launchpad a long time ago?

Be interested in this aswell.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    Read through this thread and maybe I missed it, but is there a way to clear a current clip, or use undo, from a launchpad pro? Or during overdubbing/continual recording while looping, have it overwrite? Or do I have to do this from the iPad display?

Or, we nominate Victor Porof to get The Nobel Peace Prize 2021 - then he gets 1 million Euro in cash from the Swedish Nobel Acedemy!

Why? every girl & boy out in the world who discover his amazing app wouldn’t have time for any war!!

• Version 2.0.2 is now under review and includes the following improvements:

• MIDI files will now automatically set the clip length and adjust the loop markers when imported.
    • Multi-channel MIDI files will include all lanes as separate Patterns when imported.
    • Drag and drop import from other apps. Open Files side by side, and drag MIDI files onto Atom instances.
    • Improve discoverability of all advanced configuration panels (available with a long-press).
  • That drag and drop is gonna be so useful! Thanks for killing it with this app!
    I left a review, but didn’t see it show up on the AppStore.. I don’t know if it takes time for that to show up or not. (Also encouraging more folks to review, I think as of this morning the AppStore only said there were 8 reviews, surely that can’t be right..)

• @blueveek said:

@espiegel123 said:
    (I am using a beta on ioS 13.7 to test that it works correctly).

Controller support is unavailable on iOS 13 at the moment (you may know this already, I've told you on DM after pushing the latest beta which attempts to enable support). Let me know which issues you have and I'll work with you to resolve them and enable iOS 13 support for everyone :)

What's the timeline on this. Still rocking 13.7 myself.

• @blueveek said:
    Version 2.0.2 is now under review and includes the following improvements:

• MIDI files will now automatically set the clip length and adjust the loop markers when imported.
    • Multi-channel MIDI files will include all lanes as separate Patterns when imported.
    • Drag and drop import from other apps. Open Files side by side, and drag MIDI files onto Atom instances.
    • Improve discoverability of all advanced configuration panels (available with a long-press).

Darn.. that’s huge.. and fast..
    you are a legend... thanks..

• @blueveek said:
    Version 2.0.2 is now under review and includes the following improvements:

Take a break bro I can’t keep up. :D

• edited March 2021

I forget, is it possible to record multiple channels of midi into one instance of Atom? And will the resulting file/recording output to multiple midi destinations?

• As a midi file player can this app then play a list or group of files?

• @auxmux said:
    I forget, is it possible to record multiple channels of midi into one instance of Atom? And will the resulting file/recording output to multiple midi destinations?

Not yet.

• edited March 2021

@blueveek really enjoying Atom 2 but i am experiencing quite a few crashes when using multiple instances to drive 3 or more synths in Drambo.

Could you and @giku_beepstreet sync up to look in to this. Atom2 fails to load after it crashes in Drambo and i am unable to recover the file. Let me know if there’s anything i can provide to assist in this issue.

Thanks. 👊🏼™️

• @espiegel123 said:

@jpm47 said:
    Just bought Atom 2 but my previous presets from Atom don’t appear. What can I do to open them?

Atom 1 presets can't be opened by Atom 2. You could send their output to Atom 2 and record them to transfer them.

I'm going to set a block of time this weekend to go through and do this very migration. Also a good time to see what's wheat and what's actually chaff.