Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Atom | Piano Roll 2 is now available

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited March 2021

@eross Yea I don’t see why not. I’ve never done it, but it sounds very doable. There is an easier way with an LFO, like Rozeta LFO or MidiLFO’s, or even better something with finer control, that sequences the CC like Stepbud or Octachron, which are the 2 ways I typically do CC’s. As I dig deeper into CC, I want to automate and sequence Parameters in all kinds of different ways, so I’m still learning too. I’m no expert, so maybe there’s some better advice out there.

MFX Convert Looks like it could help in a similar fashion too...
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mfxconvert/id1451192046

Also For a slightly different approach you could use FAC Envolver. That will convert audio, at specific gate points, to midi or cc
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fac-envolver/id1378195291

At the moment I’m looking at CC Pal, it’s not AU but looks really cool for recording and looping the automation. Anyone have and like the app CC Pal?
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/cc-pal/id1468684956

There’s also Ribn for recording and looping parameter movements.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ribn/id1413777040

• wimwim
    edited March 2021

I know that it's nice not have to string together apps, and to have everything as much as possible in one app. But, there are other purpose-built apps for scale filtering. Some have custom scale ability too.

I'm just saying ... this is an incredibly option filled app already, and I wonder if it makes sense to try to make it do everything. There's a cascade effect to feature additions. Add scale support and people want custom scales, different types of quantize (filter, nearest, up, down, etc.), folding ... it can go on a long time. Multiply this by all the other feature requests, and it's never ending. The app gets more and more complex and therefore intimidating when (probably) the majority of users never need or understand some of these features.

I dunno what I'm saying here. Product suggestions are terrific and shouldn't be discouraged. But I hope the expectation doesn't become that Atom 2 will evolve forever to do everything.

I think I'd much rather string together a few purpose-built plugins that have all the bells and whistles for when I need them than see Atom 2 become bloated and lose its elegance, and it's developer burn himself out (again).

• @wim said:
    I know that it's nice not have to string together apps, and to have everything as much as possible in one app. But, there are other purpose-built apps for scale filtering. Some have custom scale ability too.

I'm just saying ... this is an incredibly option filled app already, and I wonder if it makes sense to try to make it do everything. There's a cascade effect to feature additions. Add scale support and people want custom scales, different types of quantize (filter, nearest, up, down, etc.), folding ... it can go on a long time. Multiply this by all the other feature requests, and it's never ending. The app gets more and more complex and therefore intimidating when (probably) the majority of users never need or understand some of these features.

I dunno what I'm saying here. Product suggestions are terrific and shouldn't be discouraged. But I hope the expectation doesn't become that Atom 2 will evolve forever to do everything.

I think I'd much rather string together a few purpose-built plugins that have all the bells and whistles for when I need them than see Atom 2 become bloated and lose its elegance, and it's developer burn himself out (again).

I agree.

I was prepping my midi randomization wish list for @blueveek ’s attention when I thought, hang on, Quantum and Riffer have amazing randomization already. Just pipe their midi out to Atom 2 and work from there.

That way the developer can focus on automation etc.

• Of course when the developer implements feature request like drag and drop midi import in under a day ... :D

• Do any Chorder apps do drag and drop just asking for a friend?

• Everyone who is enjoying Atom2... do please leave a review in the appstore.

You wouldn’t believe what kind of uplift this gives to a dev who has slogged his guts out for a year for all our benefit.

<3

• edited March 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited March 2021

@winconway said:

@onerez said:
    So. i hope that I dont get slammed for this as I have always been a positive supporter of all on here and I dont want to come across like a bi&%$. I am happy to even pay @blueveek 50$ tip for helping a lot of folks here. But I am underwhelmed with this..... maybe too high expectations or me being an idiot and not really understanding what you can really do with it.
    I still can see crap... maybe I am old.
    Apple Pencil wont work.
    If I use my fingers still have to press 3-4 times on something to get it. My iPad Pro is fine.. iOS 14.4. only app this is happening with.
    Wish that you could audition notes on the actual keys.
    Import of midi is not working as I thought... multiple lanes.. or like LK dialogue on which one you want to import.
    Any randomize feature?
    I dont use a controller and it’s difficult to tap in notes... see app responsive to touch.

Thanks for the hard work on this. I am sure I will have my eyes opened.

If you want some 1:1, me and Tom are both on the 5pin discord and will help you work through any of this stuff ;)
    DM me if you need an invite.

@slicetwo said:
    @blueveek Atom 2 is fantastic. The pattern selector alone is glorious. Is there a way to set it to change patterns at the end of a bar instead of immediately? Also, I'm rocking a 2018 iPad base model and 3 instances of Atom 2 are taking a pretty heavy toll on my CPU. I replaced 3 instances of Atom 1 in a project that was running smoothly. Is that due to all the animations or is Atom 2 really that much more intensive than 1?

Any updates on the CPU issue, its of maximum importance to us to crack down on any strange resource usage.

@JimP4nsen said:
    @blueveek : Fantastic work! I haven’t really found an issue yet and have to say that it looks and feels gorgeous!

One small thing I wanted to ask ... in the previews in the beginning there was always this „Mutate“ button. Any chance that this could make it back in?

Is in the request list and is a big feature for Victor, but this was an early release as requested by the forum here, so just hold out a while ;)

@Poppadocrock said:
    @blueveek No rush. Not sure if it’s been mentioned but the double tap to select all midi has been finicky. It only worked 1-2 times after many “double-taps” No biggie, easy work around, obviously, but I used that constantly with atom 1, and would like to see that double tap be more consistent. Thanks

Couple of quickies until the docs are up.
    Double tap select button to select all notes.
    Long press the loop marker on the ruler to select all notes within the loop.
    Some standards across all edit tools in the grid.......
    Tap - Selects a note.
    Long press a note - Toggles selection.
    Long press empty space on grid - Enables a marquee for multi note selection.

Hopefully that gets you set with selections.

@Poppadocrock said:

@eroxxx said:

@TTBeNnI said:
    Thanks for this amazing app!

My favourite setup so far: Xequence AU Pads to launch and stop Atom 2 clips. Drambo for translating of notes to cc.

I would LOVEEEE to see a video/explanation of how you are using AU pads to launch and stop clips ... :)

In AUM I believe you can set up the pads up to send a note or a cc to toggle the Launch button. Haven’t tried it yet but that would be my guess.

@Poppadocrock said:
    Ok. They said they used drambo to change the notes of the pads to CC numbers. So pads set up as notes, then sent through drambo to change notes to cc, then the cc messages set up in AUM to toggle individual Launch buttons, of each atom 2 instance. Hope that help a little.

Is there a way to send cc with pads without using drambo, maybe using a Mozaic script instead, or even better is there an app that can do that on its own? A way without the middle man?

I may be misunderstanding what is needed here, but maybe this helps.
    Long press the launch button in PR2, PR2 has launch by MIDI note and launch by MIDI CC settings, just choose your MIDI note or MIDI CC and then use the launch settings you want, it will toggle the launch every time it receives that MIDI note or CC.

@Hannes said:
    Hi there,
    first of all: thanks for this amazing tool @blueveek! What impresses me the most is the reliability of atom2, didn't crash a single time for me until now. I think I haven't experienced such a smooth start with any kind of (more complex) software on release day for a couple of years.

One question to the users with launchpad pro mk3 or other hardware controllers:
    How do you use your controllers/how does your midi-routing look like in combination with atom?

I set up a 3x5 matrix in AUM, routed each column to one instrument to be able to record different variations/patterns (like in ableton).
    The problem I have now is when I record a pattern, all open instances of atom which are routed to the same instrument "add up" in volume so that it distorts during recording.

This is just a problem of live recording and I can avoid that through closing every other atom-window.
    But I'm curious how an more elegant solutions could look like to avoid that kind of stacking of velocities.
    Did I miss anything?

MIDI notes will stack if played at the same time to a polyphonic synth yes, the best way around it is to have only clips that you want to layer and stack on different tracks, if they are on the same track, they are exclusive and launching one will unlaunch the other on that track.

@gusgranite said:

@wim said:

I agree.

I was prepping my midi randomization wish list for @blueveek ’s attention when I thought, hang on, Quantum and Riffer have amazing randomization already. Just pipe their midi out to Atom 2 and work from there.

That way the developer can focus on automation etc.

Ask away here or in the Discord matey boy, Mutate Randomisation etc etc is something that Victor is actually quite fascinated by, in the first instance he is musical vs code, and you have seen how quick he writes code, so imagine his musical knowledge, he is has been planning a bit more musical version of randomise, a bit more musical version of mutate and so on, it is definitely on the list, no worries there.

@winconway: it would be great if you would add tips/tricks/shortcuts to the AB Forum Atom 2 wiki page rather than here: that way the info doesn't get lost into the ether -- since many people only see info on whatever is the most recent page of the thread. EDIT: I have added the selection shortcuts you just mentioned.

By adding it there, more people will benefit from the information. We can frequently point people to the wiki page for questions answered there.

The wiki page is at:
    https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=atom_piano_roll_2

• @Poppadocrock said:
    @eross Yea I don’t see why not. I’ve never done it, but it sounds very doable. There is an easier way with an LFO, like Rozeta LFO or MidiLFO’s, or even better something with finer control, that sequences the CC like Stepbud or Octachron, which are the 2 ways I typically do CC’s. As I dig deeper into CC, I want to automate and sequence Parameters in all kinds of different ways, so I’m still learning too. I’m no expert, so maybe there’s some better advice out there.

MFX Convert Looks like it could help in a similar fashion too...
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mfxconvert/id1451192046

Also For a slightly different approach you could use FAC Envolver. That will convert audio, at specific gate points, to midi or cc
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fac-envolver/id1378195291

At the moment I’m looking at CC Pal, it’s not AU but looks really cool for recording and looping the automation. Anyone have and like the app CC Pal?
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/cc-pal/id1468684956

There’s also Ribn for recording and looping parameter movements.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ribn/id1413777040

I have CCPal and Ribn

While CCPal is competent, Ribn is just easier to input your CC's into. You can make slower and broader gestures. CCPal is in comparison more "fiddly"

• @winconway said:
    Ask away here or in the Discord matey boy, Mutate Randomisation etc etc is something that Victor is actually quite fascinated by, in the first instance he is musical vs code, and you have seen how quick he writes code, so imagine his musical knowledge, he is has been planning a bit more musical version of randomise, a bit more musical version of mutate and so on, it is definitely on the list, no worries there.

I hope Victor works on mutation as I think he could add something to the current offerings. You mentioned musicality, and even the most musical randomization still feels like a shot in the dark in many ways. To be clear, some are clearly more musical than others, but none are really as musical as I hope. With mutation, a musician knows how a given bass line or chord progression or melody would naturally mutate and those options could be configured in a pattern or a note in a convincing way. Atom2 is clever in ways that indicate Victor could nail it, though. The way scales work and how the "chaos" is set up in the velocity section--all the raw materials are already there; just needs some logic for how the musician dials in the mutations.

• One thing that I observed with atom and now atom 2 is that the zooming doesn’t feel the same as other piano rolls. I might be going mad but I’m sure I’m used to piano rolls zooming either in the y axis for a ‘vertical’ pinch, and in the x axis for a ‘horizontal’ pinch. Is it just me?

• @blueveek said:

@ghost_forests said:
    Is there any chance of other older controllers being supported down the line? I have a LP Mini 2 and would be interested to know if I need to upgrade (not a huge issue, they’re pretty inexpensive really). Or is that something that someone could with some scripting?

In principle anyone experienced enough with programming can implement support for their controller! I encourage it, but it’s also likely that I’ll need to buy these controllers and do it myself. If anyone is up for a challenge though, I’m very happy to help.

I use Studiologic SL Mixface midi controller, an excellent controller, though I also use launchpad Pro.
    Would it be possible for people to exchange their scripts when someone has created a working script of a controller?
    Simply loving this app especially the probablity modes!

• Hey @Toastedghost

We're thinking about how best to share community hardware scripts and themes once they start appearing.

We are hoping to have an Atom2 category on patchstorage.com soon, but there will probably also be other places you can share and download hardware scripts.

The possibilities are very exciting.

• edited March 2021

@Toastedghost said:

@blueveek said:

@ghost_forests said:
    Is there any chance of other older controllers being supported down the line? I have a LP Mini 2 and would be interested to know if I need to upgrade (not a huge issue, they’re pretty inexpensive really). Or is that something that someone could with some scripting?

In principle anyone experienced enough with programming can implement support for their controller! I encourage it, but it’s also likely that I’ll need to buy these controllers and do it myself. If anyone is up for a challenge though, I’m very happy to help.

I use Studiologic SL Mixface midi controller, an excellent controller, though I also use launchpad Pro.
    Would it be possible for people to exchange their scripts when someone has created a working script of a controller?
    Simply loving this app especially the probablity modes!

@Toastedghost Just discovered the probability and tempo modes. They show up in AUM under parameters throw a Rozeta LFO at them and instant mutation ! You can get Poly rhythms the lot playing around with it.

• Congrats @Jumpercollins - you just discovered one of the many Atom2 power tips we are looking forward to sharing in our upcoming resources and videos.

B)

• Is it possible to switch between patterns in a clip via MIDI?

• @espiegel123 said:
    Is it possible to switch between patterns in a clip via MIDI?

It's been requested by many, including me. High on my list of must-haves. This would be amazing.

• @auxmux said:

@espiegel123 said:

It's been requested by many, including me. High on my list of must-haves. This would be amazing.

I can see Victor's point about preserving the one pattern / one clip / one node approach, but I think from a workflow perspective this is one of those no-brainers. There's the ideal vision for the UX and how users actually work--you may have seen the images online of finely-crafted paths in a landscape and then the actual path that people have worn into the ground because it's the shortest path between two points.

• Sorry @blueveek I May of broken Atom 2 but had some fun doing ,it was driving the probability and tempo using Rozeta LFO using just one instance and lost all the graphics inside Atom 2.

Probably just a glitch or a frame rate problem.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Sorry @blueveek I May of broken Atom 2 but had some fun doing ,it was driving the probability and tempo using Rozeta LFO using just one instance and lost all the graphics inside Atom 2.

Sounds great! Lol!

Can you DM the project file to take a look?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@auxmux said:

@espiegel123 said:

I can see Victor's point about preserving the one pattern / one clip / one node approach, but I think from a workflow perspective this is one of those no-brainers. There's the ideal vision for the UX and how users actually work--you may have seen the images online of finely-crafted paths in a landscape and then the actual path that people have worn into the ground because it's the shortest path between two points.

It's a tricky balance to get right between modular purity and workflow pragmatism. I'm thinking hard about it, but it's growing on me. There's some cool state-machiney stuff you could do with that.

• edited March 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @blueveek said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@auxmux said:

@espiegel123 said:

It's a tricky balance to get right between modular purity and workflow pragmatism. I'm thinking hard about it, but it's growing on me. There's some cool state-machiney stuff you could do with that.

In the long-run, the ability to change patterns via MIDI would make for a nice workflow for cases where the matrix style (one clip per instance) is cumbersome. For a lot of my work, a one-instance per instrument setup where I switch between patterns in the same instance for song parts would be preferable. Not that it needs it today, but if it were happen in the future it would make ATOM into a flexible tool. One of my favorite sequencers of all time (StudioVision) was beautiful because it let you work in a lot of different ways.

• edited March 2021

@blueveek said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Sorry @blueveek I May of broken Atom 2 but had some fun doing ,it was driving the probability and tempo using Rozeta LFO using just one instance and lost all the graphics inside Atom 2.

Sounds great! Lol!

Can you DM the project file to take a look?

@blueveek Just reloaded it in AUM and it appears to be ok now so think it was a glitch I tried DM u the AUM project file inside this forum but it’s saying project file not supported.

The screenshot was taken with the sequencer running.

• @blueveek said:

Well, props to you for being open to it. Like I said, I can totally see where you are coming from on the modular approach--and most users don't think about the knock-on effects of making fundamental changes to the approach. Appreciate the thoughtful way you approach design.

• wimwim
    edited March 2021

@espiegel123 said:

@blueveek said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@auxmux said:

@espiegel123 said:

In the long-run, the ability to change patterns via MIDI would make for a nice workflow for cases where the matrix style (one clip per instance) is cumbersome. For a lot of my work, a one-instance per instrument setup where I switch between patterns in the same instance for song parts would be preferable. Not that it needs it today, but if it were happen in the future it would make ATOM into a flexible tool. One of my favorite sequencers of all time (StudioVision) was beautiful because it let you work in a lot of different ways.

Oh wow. I’m really surprised this isn’t part of the app. It seems like such a natural approach I just assumed it was there.

I really hope it gets considered. I know I’m never going to want to have that many instances of any app in my AUM setup. It wouldmake me go nuts. I would prefer to have just one atom per target app.

That might change if I’m using a Launchpad, but I’m not, and am still daunted by the idea of dozens and dozens of little round icons to organize and keep track of. I think I’d just stick with LK in that case TBH.

Sorry, I’m not complaining, and think Atom2 is wonderful. This realization just took me a bit off guard.