Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Logic pro coming with new ipads?

Comments

• hehe... and I thought I have wild imagination... :D

• Well there’s nothing to indicate that Logic is coming to iOS anytime soon, so it’s all just wishful thinking.

• edited April 2021

Oh another Apple event you say?

• @sch said:
    My 2018 12.9 iPad Pro just died from a buggered USB-C jack, so no way to recharge, get data off etc, and then it proceeded to go into an infinite reboot loop!

I'm looking very seriously about replacing it with the M1 MacBook Air, and simply run LPX there, giving up the endless search for the right combos of Hosts and AUv3 etc. in iOS.

I found myself thinking the same thing this morning. I'm all in on the iPad ecosystem but depending on the price of the new 12.9" with 1 TB, I'm definitely into laptop territory at that point.

• I want a 32" iPad that runs MacOS. Or an iMac 32" with touch.

• I heard it’s coming with their new AR headset, supposed to have a UI like in Minority Report

• I would not mind Logic Pro on iPad. We need a host that fully supports all or almost all AUv3 features...

• @Samu said:

@wim said:
    Brilliant! Let’s all get totally burnt and then start a thread during it. Seems like the only rational thing to do. B)

Yeah, and if the event is boring there’s always ‘Up In Smoke’ or ‘Rude Awakening’ 😂

I gotta recommend ‘High Maintenance’, great show on Crave.

• @AudioGus said:

@Samu said:

@wim said:
    Brilliant! Let’s all get totally burnt and then start a thread during it. Seems like the only rational thing to do. B)

Yeah, and if the event is boring there’s always ‘Up In Smoke’ or ‘Rude Awakening’ 😂

Rude Awakening is pure weirdness...

• @Samu said:
    I would not mind Logic Pro on iPad. We need a host that fully supports all or almost all AUv3 features...

Well, that wouldn't be Logic then.

• @Samu said:

@AudioGus said:

@Samu said:

@wim said:

Rude Awakening is pure weirdness...

Hehe, classic!

• We will see, at some point if they keep upping ipad pro prices to cost of macbook they are going to have to provide some pro software

• edited April 2021

@RedSkyLullaby said:
    We will see, at some point if they keep upping ipad pro prices to cost of macbook they are going to have to provide some pro software

Touche move.

• @jacou said:

@DMan said:
    I’m hoping for extra battery life in my Mac Mini it’s terribly short. I wonder if they’ll bring back Compressor but only for iPad and also a new version of Music Memos would be nice. I’ll take 32 bit apps back on iOS too.

😁 Hoping for a come back of the headphone jack in iPhones but this time 6mm so no adapters needed anymore. Maybe we'll also finally see MacOS for the new Ultra Retina iPad Mini Pro. Or the new Mac Pro inside of a HomePod.

Yes, I’m already making plans to get the Mac Pro inside of a HomePod and then use the Ultra Retina iPad Mini Pro to set up screen sharing with the Mac Pro inside the HomePod. I would say SideCar, but since it’s running MacOS I can just set up screen share or Remote Desktop instead. Then you don’t need to launch SideCar first by booting into it. Thanks for the ideas.

• I’m very surprised by those that comment about trading an iPad for an M1. In not judging , I’m genuinely curious.
    Personally an iPad and a laptop are completely different experiences. It’s not like an M1 is not a laptop... If you moved from a laptop to an iPad. Why would one chip or another make you go back?. A MacBook is already 10 more capable for making music than the iPad. I don’t see the “breakthrough”.

• @DMan said:

@jacou said:

@DMan said:
    I’m hoping for extra battery life in my Mac Mini it’s terribly short. I wonder if they’ll bring back Compressor but only for iPad and also a new version of Music Memos would be nice. I’ll take 32 bit apps back on iOS too.

😁 Hoping for a come back of the headphone jack in iPhones but this time 6mm so no adapters needed anymore. Maybe we'll also finally see MacOS for the new Ultra Retina iPad Mini Pro. Or the new Mac Pro inside of a HomePod.

Yes, I’m already making plans to get the Mac Pro inside of a HomePod and then use the Ultra Retina iPad Mini Pro to set up screen sharing with the Mac Pro inside the HomePod. I would say SideCar, but since it’s running MacOS I can just set up screen share or Remote Desktop instead. Then you don’t need to launch SideCar first by booting into it. Thanks for the ideas.

Would that be lightning, usb-c or lighting-c ?

• @tahiche said:
    I’m very surprised by those that comment about trading an iPad for an M1. In not judging , I’m genuinely curious.
    Personally an iPad and a laptop are completely different experiences. It’s not like an M1 is not a laptop... If you moved from a laptop to an iPad. Why would one chip or another make you go back?. A MacBook is already 10 more capable for making music than the iPad. I don’t see the “breakthrough”.

Probably different reasons for different people, but one thing that makes the M1 compelling is that it makes the MacBook Air as a portable music platform plausible. It wasn't before with the really low level x86 processors it had in it.

The iPad was interesting at first for me because of its size and silence. The touch based interface was an added bonus. Now, I think the touch interface and the form factor of the iPad is a big thing.

Also, I'm not talking about moving away from the iPad to the Mac, but I will probably start working on software that merges the two. An iPad combined with a MacBook Air seems like a pretty slick mobile setup to me.

• edited April 2021

@NeonSilicon said:

@tahiche said:
    I’m very surprised by those that comment about trading an iPad for an M1. In not judging , I’m genuinely curious.

Probably different reasons for different people, but one thing that makes the M1 compelling is that it makes the MacBook Air as a portable music platform plausible. It wasn't before with the really low level x86 processors it had in it.

The iPad was interesting at first for me because of its size and silence. The touch based interface was an added bonus. Now, I think the touch interface and the form factor of the iPad is a big thing.

Also, I'm not talking about moving away from the iPad to the Mac, but I will probably start working on software that merges the two. An iPad combined with a MacBook Air seems like a pretty slick mobile setup to me.

Yeah that’s the reason the iPad got me excited in the first place. But Apple just takes too Ling to catch up with the iPad. They seem to artificially procrastinate that last step to match software and pro-ness. The hardware is ready so why not offering a Microsoft surface like device. Cranking up ipados to get sone more pro features and opening it up a bit and then offering pro apps that’s all. That surely will encourage producers and more devs to jump onboard. Why does it take so extremely long? No bold steps forward on apples side since many years it seems..

Still having a last little spark of hope for next week..

Might also look at a M1 machine otherwise. Apple put iPad like hardware into old Mac bodies instead of getting iPads on par.

• @jacou said:

The hardware is ready so why not offering a Microsoft surface like device.

Because Apple's design philosophy - which makes intuitive sense to me - says that you design an OS differently for a primarily-touch interface than you do for a keyboard-and-mouse interface. Apple is not going to build a "touch Mac" in the vein of the Surface because macOS was designed for a keyboard-and-mouse interface.

• @celtic_elk said:

@jacou said:

Because Apple's design philosophy - which makes intuitive sense to me - says that you design an OS differently for a primarily-touch interface than you do for a keyboard-and-mouse interface. Apple is not going to build a "touch Mac" in the vein of the Surface because macOS was designed for a keyboard-and-mouse interface.

Why are they offering mouse and keyboard support for the iPad then? That clashes with their design philosophy. What I’m waiting for is an iPadOS that comes closer to macOS in terms of pro features, and openes. Right now it’s a rather pragmatic and over simplified locked in system. It perfectly makes sense in my iPhone where I don’t want a lot of clutter and options but if the iPad should become more pro it needs more pro inside of the system.
    Im not asking for a MacOS for iPad with the same interface. That wouldn’t make any sense as a touch device.

• @jacou said:
    Why are they offering mouse and keyboard support for the iPad then? That clashes with their design philosophy.

Not necessarily. The fact that you design an interface primarily for touch input doesn't mean you can't operate it effectively with a mouse in many cases - a mouse pointer substitutes pretty efficiently for a single finger. In contrast, a finger does not, in many cases, substitute efficiently for a mouse pointer in situations where the interface was designed primarily for a mouse, mainly due to problems with click-target precision (though accounting for multi-button mouse interactions is also problematic when you try to translate to a touch environment - how do you right-click with your finger?). Note that the successful Windows "tablets" are, in practice, marketed as convertible laptops; the keyboard/trackpad are not really optional, even if you have to purchase them separately.

• @celtic_elk said:

@jacou said:

I can’t imagine that Apple would want to enter the market up against Surface anyway, especially as it’s had such a slow growth rate in sales for MS. Quarterly sales have missed targets for a long time with the Surface, and only recently has it started doing better with sales.

• @jacou said:

@celtic_elk said:

@jacou said:

Why are they offering mouse and keyboard support for the iPad then? That clashes with their design philosophy. What I’m waiting for is an iPadOS that comes closer to macOS in terms of pro features, and openes. Right now it’s a rather pragmatic and over simplified locked in system. It perfectly makes sense in my iPhone where I don’t want a lot of clutter and options but if the iPad should become more pro it needs more pro inside of the system.
    Im not asking for a MacOS for iPad with the same interface. That wouldn’t make any sense as a touch device.

I would be delighted if Apple aggressively moved forward with a 15” or 16” iPad Pro with enough power for heavy music production, video editing + effects and art/design/animation work.

• The iPad is thermally constrained. They aren't going to make an M1 level iPad for a long time. Even if they were to put an M1 in an iPad it wouldn't run like an M1. Memory is heat and battery drain. They select the tradeoffs specifically for the strength of the form factor.

The Surface sucks because its a crap laptop and a crap tablet.

Speaking of sucking, the mouse and keyboard on an iPad pretty much sucks. It's usable, but it is definitely 2nd class to the touch based interface.

Look at Logic remote on an iPad. Now imagine scaling that up to actually cover a full install of Logic. That isn't something that I would want to try to use on an iPad.

• edited April 2021

@NeuM said:
    I would be delighted if Apple aggressively moved forward with a 15” or 16” iPad Pro with enough power for heavy music production, video editing + effects and art/design/animation work.

I would be deeply surprised if that happens. The existing power users for those applications are accustomed to, if not in practice reliant on, a keyboard-and-mouse interface; the software to support those activities in that interface environment already exists; and Apple is, frankly, already the dominant player in that sector with its laptops and desktops. Developing a new iPad with that sector in mind would simply cannibalize its own sales, assuming it was even successful.

• @jacou said:
    Why are they offering mouse and keyboard support for the iPad then?

My impression is they only did it grudgingly after being hounded to and to sell overpriced smart keyboards.

I think this is backed up by the reality that they haven't (and IMO never will) added any features to the OS or it's design to leverage such support. Hell, it's tucked away under "Accessibility Settings" for Pete's sake. :D

If recent MacOS design changes are any indication, I think it might move the opposite direction. MacOS becomes more like a touch interface so that eventually there isn't a huge gap between them. Thankfully they're moving incrementally, not like Microsoft's wholesale dumbing down of the UI so it hardly makes sense as either a desktop or tablet interface.

• @NeonSilicon said:
    Look at Logic remote on an iPad. Now imagine scaling that up to actually cover a full install of Logic. That isn't something that I would want to try to use on an iPad.

This, exactly.

• @NeonSilicon said:.
    The Surface sucks because its a crap laptop and a crap tablet.

Apparently corporate sales are much higher than personal sales for the Surface, so I guess that’s where MS will be focusing rather than on any optimizations for music.

Of all the people I know who make music on laptop, tablet, etc, I can only think of one person who made music on a Surface, and he would then send all his stems to a laptop for mixdown.

• @wim said:
    If recent MacOS design changes are any indication, I think it might move the opposite direction. MacOS becomes more like a touch interface so that eventually there isn't a huge gap between them.

The significant power-user-creatives market for Macs imposes a constraint: macOS can't move so far towards iPadOS that it becomes itself unusable for, as an example, an application as complex as Logic.

• @celtic_elk said:

@NeuM said:

I would be deeply surprised if that happens. The existing power users for those applications are accustomed to, if not in practice reliant on, a keyboard-and-mouse interface; the software to support those activities in that interface environment already exists; and Apple is, frankly, already the dominant player in that sector with its laptops and desktops. Developing a new iPad with that sector in mind would simply cannibalize its own sales, assuming it was even successful.

I’d also be surprised. But that’s also why I’d be delighted. ;) In my opinion, they’ve become far too complacent with their moves in hardware since Steve Jobs died and Jony Ive is effectively no longer part of the design group.