Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Logic pro coming with new ipads?

Comments

• edited March 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @krassmann said:

@winconway said:
    Is Logic Pro full stack or do they use any open source libraries etc, Reaper will never make it to iOS for example because of licensing issues with some libraries, it is one of the main reason a lot of major DAWs will never crossover.

I think you have misunderstood something. Or please point me to some resources about this problem. I think it is legally not possible to forbid the usage of open source software on an operating system. I’m also quite sure that this is not against the Apple guidelines. I would even say that the vast majority of apps on the App Store does contain open source software. Nowadays it is virtually impossible to write a complex application without it. I’m in the software industry for many many many years and I was also taking part in projects that included developing iOS apps and open source was never ever an issue and was used a lot in the apps.

Open source isn't forbidden per-se, but GPL licensed, or other usage limited, open-source is. MIT licensed open source is fine, for instance. miRack is a good example of an app that is able to do some things, but not others due to open source licensing restrictions.

And yes, it's perfectly legal to do this. With the App Store, Apple is the seller, not the developer. They can't allow people to incorporate software that might have licensing restrictions. It would be Apple that would be in violation and it would be up to them to verify any permission arrangements the developers might have. As much as I dislike some things about Apple, I can see how they would not want to get into those kinds of issues. App Store review is problematic enough as it is without getting Intellectual Property lawyers involved. :#

• By the time you add your keyboard, mouse, external monitor, audio interface, etc, you don’t really have a mobile option anymore. I can’t imagine using logic comfortably on an iPad screen, even a 12” screen. On my 15” mbp screen it is cramped. GarageBand on iOS is different, because it’s really just focused on the creation.

I guess I just don’t see the “logic” in having logic on iOS with the file manager restrictions, etc.

Now, if Apple released alchemy on iOS again, as a full app, that would be a different story, because that was better on a touchscreen.

Also, keep in mind that the full logic download is about 80gb.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited March 2021

@mrufino1 said:
    By the time you add your keyboard, mouse, external monitor, audio interface, etc, you don’t really have a mobile option anymore. I can’t imagine using logic comfortably on an iPad screen, even a 12” screen. On my 15” mbp screen it is cramped. GarageBand on iOS is different, because it’s really just focused on the creation.

I guess I just don’t see the “logic” in having logic on iOS with the file manager restrictions, etc.

Now, if Apple released alchemy on iOS again, as a full app, that would be a different story, because that was better on a touchscreen.

This x100.

I don't doubt they have maybe started work on a mobile version of Logic, but the current version on an iPad would literally be a nightmare in use. Half their instruments and effects alreayd have cramped diplays on 16" MBP, on a 12" iPad they would be unusable.

RIP Alchemy, easly my favorite iOS synth of all time.

• @winconway said:

@krassmann said:

@winconway said:
    Is Logic Pro full stack or do they use any open source libraries etc, Reaper will never make it to iOS for example because of licensing issues with some libraries, it is one of the main reason a lot of major DAWs will never crossover.

I think you have misunderstood something. Or please point me to some resources about this problem. I think it is legally not possible to forbid the usage of open source software on an operating system. I’m also quite sure that this is not against the Apple guidelines. I would even say that the vast majority of apps on the App Store does contain open source software. Nowadays it is virtually impossible to write a complex application without it. I’m in the software industry for many many many years and I was also taking part in projects that included developing iOS apps and open source was never ever an issue and was used a lot in the apps.

iOS is not friendly to GPL, just pop in to the Surge synthesizer Discord and ask why iOS is the only current platform it hasn't been ported to.

And @wim too

It’s quite interesting, I didn’t know that. Actually I found this article from the FSF about that

https://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/more-about-the-app-store-gpl-enforcement

I’m not an expert on open source licenses but I could imagine that it’s possible to dual license an app’s source code. I’ve seen a lot of projects that dual license their code under the GPL to open source projects but under a commercial license for professional usage.

• Will we see Logic and Final Cut for iPad next week on the 20th? 😄 will it finally be the end of years of speculations?

• edited April 2021

Telling by the logo it looks more like there will be focus on the visual side again. Oh well let’s see :)

• @jacou said:
    Will we see Logic and Final Cut for iPad next week on the 20th? 😄 will it finally be the end of years of speculations?

I honestly think we'll have to wait until iPadOS15 before/if/when the pro apps drop...
    ...this way Apple can drop support for older devices and have total control over the user experience of the 'Pro' apps.

I'm still on an iPad Air 2 and it's highly likely that iPadOS15 will not be supported on it...

Now if Apple drops an iPad 9 with an A13, 10.5" laminated screen I'll seriously consider getting it!
    Apple simply can't remove the 3.5mm jack for the education market at which the low-end iPad is partially directed at...

Will be interesting to follow what happens on the 20th.
    iOS/iPadOS14.5 should be out by then or drop on the 20th.

The LogicPro 'base install' with all the plug-ins is ~3GB and that I can make room for if needed :)

• @tahiche said:
    Do I want Logic on the iPad?. No, I don’t care. I want a proper workflow. Serious audio editing and mixing capabilities. I’d rather have a very capable NS2 , Zenbeats, BM3, mobileDaw or whatever already exists and have contributed so far. Would it be fair if Apple puts Intua out of business with a sparkling Logic after they’ve contributed enormously to iOS music and giving Apple profits in app sales and sold iPads?. No, it wouldn’t.

What if the reason the NS2 dev has gone so quiet is because he's been poached by the famously tight-lipped Apple to produce the definitive iOS DAW? 🤔

• @drcongo said:

What if the reason the NS2 dev has gone so quiet is because he's been poached by the famously tight-lipped Apple to produce the definitive iOS DAW? 🤔

If they have done that, we should see something amazing... in five or six years :naughty:

• Telling by the logo it looks more like there will be focus on the visual side again.

It just looks like a (digital) pen stroke. Because it will be about the iPad.

• Could be iPad and 'creative software' focus or something...
    ...personally I'm not interested in a $1500+ iPad 'Pro' which...
    ...is a likely price point if it gets 8GB ram and >512GB storage and new 'superdupermazingultraretinabshdrextraplusminiled' screen and a $200 ApplepenilXTNDeluxePlusTip Pen.

But seriously I look forward to the basic iPad 9...

• @Tarekith said:

@mrufino1 said:
    By the time you add your keyboard, mouse, external monitor, audio interface, etc, you don’t really have a mobile option anymore. I can’t imagine using logic comfortably on an iPad screen, even a 12” screen. On my 15” mbp screen it is cramped. GarageBand on iOS is different, because it’s really just focused on the creation.

This x100.

I don't doubt they have maybe started work on a mobile version of Logic, but the current version on an iPad would literally be a nightmare in use. Half their instruments and effects alreayd have cramped diplays on 16" MBP, on a 12" iPad they would be unusable.

This. This.

Logic Lite (basically GB with some additional “pro” features)? Maybe one day. But I doubt it.

• @Samu said:
    Could be iPad and 'creative software' focus or something...
    ...personally I'm not interested in a $1500+ iPad 'Pro' which...
    ...is a likely price point if it gets 8GB ram and >512GB storage and new 'superdupermazingultraretinabshdrextraplusminiled' screen and a $200 ApplepenilXTNDeluxePlusTip Pen.

But seriously I look forward to the basic iPad 9...

Serious work requires serious tools. Not that it’s not possible to make great stuff using all versions of iPad, but the high-end models really are more capable.

• @syrupcore said:

@Tarekith said:

@mrufino1 said:

This x100.

This. This.

Logic Lite (basically GB with some additional “pro” features)? Maybe one day. But I doubt it.

Logic iPad édition with tactile U.I Logic for iPad will be what garage band iOS is for GarageBand desktop.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • fingers crossed for at least a Logic Lite or something - being able to back my backing track session in logic and them send them over to the iPad with the tracks bounced would save so much time

Garageband is too childish
    Cubasis is mehhh not a fan
    haven't tried Auria

• @iLLaFenT said:
    fingers crossed for at least a Logic Lite or something - being able to back my backing track session in logic and them send them over to the iPad with the tracks bounced would save so much time

Garageband is too childish
    Cubasis is mehhh not a fan
    haven't tried Auria

Have you tried sending a logic project back to iOS GarageBand? It exports your logic project as a single stereo bounce, but anything you add on iOS GB gets sent back to your logic project through iCloud, so it’s in your logic project when you reopen it. I know it’s not exactly what you were saying but there’s still interoperability between them.

• I’m hoping for extra battery life in my Mac Mini it’s terribly short. I wonder if they’ll bring back Compressor but only for iPad and also a new version of Music Memos would be nice. I’ll take 32 bit apps back on iOS too.

• Apple event on 4/20, nice
    Maybe it’s a new apple line of legal cannabis
    I’ll be smoking one for the live stream regardless!

• wimwim
    edited April 2021

Brilliant! Let’s all get totally burnt and then start a thread during it. Seems like the only rational thing to do. B)

• @wim said:
    Brilliant! Let’s all get totally burnt and then start a thread during it. Seems like the only rational thing to do. B)

Yeah, and if the event is boring there’s always ‘Up In Smoke’ or ‘Rude Awakening’ 😂

• @DMan said:
    I’m hoping for extra battery life in my Mac Mini it’s terribly short. I wonder if they’ll bring back Compressor but only for iPad and also a new version of Music Memos would be nice. I’ll take 32 bit apps back on iOS too.

Music Memos is dead. They made it very obvious they had no interest in maintaining that app. I wish they had sold it off to someone who could’ve grown it on the App Store instead.

• @Samu said:

@wim said:

Yeah, and if the event is boring there’s always ‘Up In Smoke’ or ‘Rude Awakening’ 😂

‘Nice Dreams’ all round 😁

• @DMan said:
    I’m hoping for extra battery life in my Mac Mini it’s terribly short. I wonder if they’ll bring back Compressor but only for iPad and also a new version of Music Memos would be nice. I’ll take 32 bit apps back on iOS too.

😁 Hoping for a come back of the headphone jack in iPhones but this time 6mm so no adapters needed anymore. Maybe we'll also finally see MacOS for the new Ultra Retina iPad Mini Pro. Or the new Mac Pro inside of a HomePod.

• @jacou said:

@DMan said:

😁 Hoping for a come back of the headphone jack in iPhones but this time 6mm so no adapters needed anymore. Maybe we'll also finally see MacOS for the new Ultra Retina iPad Mini Pro. Or the new Mac Pro inside of a HomePod.

Ok, if we are allowed to dream in this thread, for me : double USB-C + 3D-touch 😭😭🤲🤲🙏🙏🤞🍾🍾

• edited April 2021

@Paulo164 said:

@jacou said:

@DMan said:

Ok, if we are allowed to dream in this thread, for me : double USB-C + 3D-touch 😭😭🤲🤲🙏🙏🤞🍾🍾

3D Touch is dead Apple may remove it from future iPhone so the chance to add it on iPad are very very very weak.
    There’s so much to do with 3D Touch if they have a bit of imagination and creativity.
    Jobs is dead and creativity on Apple device is wounded.

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    Apple event on 4/20, nice
    Maybe it’s a new apple line of legal cannabis
    I’ll be smoking one for the live stream regardless!

New HighPad announced...

• Here’s a better headline.
    “Apple hires the makers of AUM, Loopy, Atom, LK, Rozeta, and other top developers. Pays them gizillion $ to make an amazing standard in iOS audio for devs to build upon”.

I’m afraid we’ll regret the day (if) Logic comes to iOS.