Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Quitting AUM w/out a home button?

I'm new to an iPad without a home button and I'm trying to figure out how to reliably quit out of AUM. I've searched on the forum and see several threads about NOT using the floating dock, but I think I have the opposite problem. When I swipe up to quit AUM, I often just get the AUM feature to move tracks around. Is there another gesture to quickly quit AUM to get back to the home screen?

Comments

• You might be able to enable an on-screen home button with the iOS assistive touch settings. That works for devices with a home button at least. I can't say for sure for devices without one, but I would expect so.

• edited March 2021

Try 5 finger pinch or 4 finger swipe up to get to app switcher, then swipe again on AUM to exit. I'm still on iOS13 so might have changed in iOS 14.

• @lukesleepwalker

What Wim mentioned is the way I do it.

Settings>Accessibility>Turn on AssistiveTouch. Below that are 3 custom actions listed. I chose Double-tap & assigned it to App Switcher. Once that is set I see a circle similar to when you attach a mouse that is always visible. If I double-click it, the foreground app will minimize and show other open apps. Single click turns it into a HUD with other available actions.

It's not ideal but is better than accidently screwing up whatever you're working on in AUM with errant swipes or 5 finger moves. The five finger approach always creates a problem if I'm not careful to place all fingers on a neutral place. Otherwise, I'll start moving things I don't want moved. iOS14.01 iPad Pro 11 2020

• The lack of a Home button and the lack of a 1/8” audio jack port are what prevent me from buying a new iPad Pro so far. Hope Apple makes some smart moves with the new models (reportedly coming soon).

• @NeuM said:
    Hope Apple makes some smart moves with the new models (reportedly coming soon).

Good luck w/ that!

Thanks, everyone, for suggestions. I think the assistive button is prolly the best way.

• I always disable iOS multi-touch gestures. They can do very weird things when you're playing on music apps.

• @wim said:
    I always disable iOS multi-touch gestures. They can do very weird things when you're playing on music apps.

Yes, turn off for GarageBand Drums

• Yes, unfortunately that’s something I’m not too keen with current pros. I’m afraid I still haven’t found a reliable way of doing it after 3 months of owning it. It requires a couple of swipes (triggering stuff on screen) until the white horizontal bar appears. The good (or bad) thing is that I started doing it with my buttoned pro 10.5. Not ideal.

• @supadom said:
    Yes, unfortunately that’s something I’m not too keen with current pros. I’m afraid I still haven’t found a reliable way of doing it after 3 months of owning it. It requires a couple of swipes (triggering stuff on screen) until the white horizontal bar appears. The good (or bad) thing is that I started doing it with my buttoned pro 10.5. Not ideal.

You should definitely try the floating Home button (assistive touch) as already described in this thread. Mine's just configured as Home, but I can double tap it for the App Switcher. My iPads have Home buttons, but I never use them. And I only swipe up for the Dock when I want to Split View.

• One more reason why Audiobus is wonderful.

• edited March 2021

I have a bluetooth keyboard that stays connected to my iPad.

keyboard shortcuts make up for the lack of home button.

• @wim said:
    One more reason why Audiobus is wonderful.

Yeah, although I doubt that Jonatan anticipated the swipe up gesture when he designed the gesture for moving tracks in AUM.

• wimwim
    edited March 2021

@lukesleepwalker said:

@wim said:

Yeah, although I doubt that Jonatan anticipated the swipe up gesture when he designed the gesture for moving tracks in AUM.

eh? the gesture for moving tracks I use is press+drag down on the input of the channel. That doesn't interfere with any swipe up gesture I know of.

• @wim said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@wim said:

eh? the gesture for moving tracks I use is press+drag down on the input of the channel. That doesn't interfere with any swipe up gesture I know of.

Ah right. Swiping up in AUM widens the view.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@wim said:

Sure he did. Swipe up from the bottom has been around forever. It used to bring up Control Center, until the Dock was created and CC was moved to the upper right.

• Luckily my Slim Folio Pro keyboard/case has a “Home Button” built right in. Not a fan of all the swiping and gestures.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@wim said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@wim said:

Ah right. Swiping up in AUM widens the view.

Ahh. I never used that one. The channel move gesture I mentioned widens the view as well.

• @j_liljedahl Perhaps you’ve looked at this?

• This is something that has bugged me about the new Air and affects a number of apps that keep clickable assets at the bottom of the screen (particularly keyboards!) I kept forgetting to turn on the assistive touch and this thread has finally motivated to do so, so thanks!

• @MisplacedDevelopment said:
    This is something that has bugged me about the new Air and affects a number of apps that keep clickable assets at the bottom of the screen (particularly keyboards!) I kept forgetting to turn on the assistive touch and this thread has finally motivated to do so, so thanks!

I did so and it works very well, although I’m not crazy about losing the screen real estate. First world problems, as they say.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@MisplacedDevelopment said:
    This is something that has bugged me about the new Air and affects a number of apps that keep clickable assets at the bottom of the screen (particularly keyboards!) I kept forgetting to turn on the assistive touch and this thread has finally motivated to do so, so thanks!

I did so and it works very well, although I’m not crazy about losing the screen real estate. First world problems, as they say.

Yeah. You can drag the button around, to keep it out of the way, or to reach what's underneath. Not too bad.

• Just drag up from screen edge to show dock tab, then drag this tab up until AUM is shown as a minimized window in the iOS "task manager", then you can swipe it out of the screen.

Alternatively, enable iOS multitask gestures and do a small 4-finger pinch to get to the task manager view, then swipe it out.