Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Remove harmonic (note) content from a sample?.

Hi,
So you chop a great kick sample in Koala or whatever, a sample you’ve taken from a YouTube screen recording. But there’s an underlying bass note in A#.... it’s less evident if you remove the kick tail, but that screws up the samples beauty.
Is there a way to target this underlying harmonic content in a percussion element and remove it?.

What is it made of?. I guess it’s harmonic “spikes” happening at the note’s frequency base and it’s harmonic content...

Comments

• Check out Let's Unmix on the appstore

• edited March 2021

Any decent graphic equaliser should do the trick. Swipe the spectrum with a deep notch until the offending frequency goes down.

• @tahiche said:
    Hi,
    So you chop a great kick sample in Koala or whatever, a sample you’ve taken from a YouTube screen recording. But there’s an underlying bass note in A#.... it’s less evident if you remove the kick tail, but that screws up the samples beauty.
    Is there a way to target this underlying harmonic content in a percussion element and remove it?.

What is it made of?. I guess it’s harmonic “spikes” happening at the note’s frequency base and it’s harmonic content...

A parametric with a narrow setting also works. They mostly also have a spectrum analyzer to help see it.

I typically start with a narrow filter set to boost and sweep slowly to find the offending fundamental. Then I cut rather than boost that frequency. You may have to repeat with the other harmonics which will be at two and three times the fundamental's frequency.

• wimwim
    edited March 2021

Anytune Pro+ is pretty intuitive for this, and for surgically removing (or isolating) parts from songs. I've only used it on songs, but see no reason why it wouldn't work for a short sample.

The nice thing there is it allows you to cut a frequency within a range of the stereo field. So, if the bass is concentrated right at the center that can be an advantage. Of course, the kick is probably centered too, so that may not be an advantage in this case, but definitely is in others.

• Apefilter can do extremely precise notch filtering.

• @tahiche That totally depends on the sample. The most efficient "trick" I've been using a lot in the past is profiling the sound next to the sample to isolate and use a denoising algo to subtract it from the sample to extract.
    Obviously that only works if the surrounding sound is steady and long enough to create a valid noise print from.

• edited March 2021

@tahiche I’m not sure what’s available in iOS for that, but izotope has several tools for the computer that can do it (how successfully always depends on the source material). RX spectral editor works really well for this. The music rebalance feature in both rx and ozone can work well at times too.

Reaper also has a spectral editing feature which should be similar, but izotope is really great with this stuff.

If you don’t have access to that or have no clue what I’m talking about, you can send it to me and I can try to do it for you.

I used rx to take out the thump of a piano pedal and some other noises through an entire classical album in the fall, it worked really well.

• edited March 2021

Thank u all!.
    In desktop you also have Waves Torque that can be used to “retune” the sample. In the case of removing a bass from a kick I believe it’d be very hard to remove the bass with eq without destroying the kick, since they share a lot of frequencies.
    It’s probably better to just leave the note and play in key with a sampler with time stretching. Keep it simple and within the iPad capabilities.
    Good tips here. I’ll check the apps mentioned. Thanks!.

• @tahiche said:
    Thank u all!.
    In desktop you also have Waves Torque that can be used to “retune” the sample. In the case of removing a bass from a kick I believe it’d be very hard to remove the bass with eq without destroying the kick, since they share a lot of frequencies.
    It’s probably better to just leave the note and play in key with a sampler with time stretching. Keep it simple and within the iPad capabilities.
    Good tips here. I’ll check the apps mentioned. Thanks!.

For retuning , there are options on iOS, too--with or without time-stretching.