Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Are there any iOS step sequencers

Where you can enter single notes from a keyboard and it automatically advances to the next step like you can on a Roland SH 101.

On a SH101 you can hit notes one after the other in the sequencer. When you’ve entered 16 notes you can hit play and you’ve got a 16 note sequence that repeats.

Is there an app or daw that does this? Hope I’m explaining this right.

Comments

• edited March 2021

Both midiSTEPs and Rozeta Cells can do that as far as I know.
    Atom can do it as well...

• @cyberheater said:
    Where you can enter single notes from a keyboard and it automatically advances to the next step like you can on a Roland SH 101.

On a SH101 you can hit notes one after the other in the sequencer. When you’ve entered 16 notes you can hit play and you’ve got a 16 note sequence that repeats.

Atom Piano Roll 1 does that - assuming version 2 will do it as well

• The current version of Atom Piano Roll has step entry.
    There are some sequencers in miRack that do this as well if I recall correctly.

• Yes Atom 2 has step input just like Atom 1. Changing the grid will change the step length. It’s not a purpose built step sequencer, however if you squint a bit it can look like one :)

• Thanks folks.

• StepBud has step input.

• Literally designed to mimic the SH-101's sequencer initially. And then extended. Like, a lot. It's a blast and probably exactly what you're looking for.

Also, +1 to Rozeta Cells.

Feel like I have to add Quantum here. It's not AUv3 but it remains the ultimate (classic-style) step sequencer on iOS, feature wise.

• Rozeta cells is very good and much like the 101 with some extra features.

The only thing you can't do with Cells is trigger the sequencer freely like the 101, it can be triggered by MIDI but will always be "on the grid."

• @BroCoast said:
    The only thing you can't do with Cells is trigger the sequencer freely like the 101, it can be triggered by MIDI but will always be "on the grid."

That reminds me - Hypno Sequence is kind of a different take on a step sequencer. Set up a sequence of notes, then play them back rhythmically without having to worry what notes you're playing. Not a real fit for the OP, but can be pretty inspiring as a different way to do things.

• Turns out I already had Rozeta Cell which was bought as part of a bundle and never tried it. :(

It works great :)

• @syrupcore said:

Feel like I have to add Quantum here. It's not AUv3 but it remains the ultimate (classic-style) step sequencer on iOS, feature wise.

Not sure if that dev is still around though.

• @wim said:

@BroCoast said:

That reminds me - Hypno Sequence is kind of a different take on a step sequencer. Set up a sequence of notes, then play them back rhythmically without having to worry what notes you're playing. Not a real fit for the OP, but can be pretty inspiring as a different way to do things.

Wow. What a deep project.
    Wouldn't this be a great one to be mapped to a Launchpad MIDI controller for sequencing with hardware, including LED feedback where useful?

• MidiSteps seems to be the best choice.. Only recently discovered the power of recording into it and manipulating the sequences... Last update broke the Prob Sliders (live Rec)..fix pending..
    Been looking for this for so long and it was right in front of my face.. It’s a Gem..

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@syrupcore said:

Meh. So long as it works currently, does it really matter? At $199, maybe. At $10? Just enjoy it.

• wimwim
    edited March 2021

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@BroCoast said:

Wow. What a deep project.
    Wouldn't this be a great one to be mapped to a Launchpad MIDI controller for sequencing with hardware, including LED feedback where useful?

Humm, I don't really understand the added utility that a Launchpad would bring to this. The idea is any received note will trigger the next step of the sequence, allowing you to forget about the notes and just focus on the rhythm.

If a Launchpad was sending notes, mashing on any pad would advance the sequencer the same as any other. I can't think what would determine which pads to light up other than perhaps to show the position in the sequence? I guess the Launchpad could be used to send notes to set up the sequence initially, but that's not any more convenient than any other keyboard controller.

I could well be missing something though, not being a Launchpad user. I'd be interested to learn about any advantage it would provide though. 👍🏼 B)

• Doesn’t actually support step recording but definitely think Cykle deserves a mention in a step sequencer thread. Total delight. https://cp3.io/

• BTW, @rs2000 - it should be pretty easy to make something like this Hypno Sequence in Drambo and also in miRack, I think.

• @wim said:
    BTW, @rs2000 - it should be pretty easy to make something like this Hypno Sequence in Drambo and also in miRack, I think.

I already made one. Pretty simple with an N-1 switch and multiple S&H. I could upload it to patch storage today.

• Thanks, folks. I have pretty much the same question.

I like how the OP1 handles walking the steps on its Endless sequencer, but there's no real editing.

This morning, I tried using Cubasis 3 for this. But it doesn't seem to have a mode to walk only one step at a time while playing keys. And I would rather not draw on a grid by hand. I want to use my MIDI keyboard.

Also, the Beatstep 37 and Beatstep Pro have caught my attention. But I already have Atom 2 and maybe one or two other apps mentioned here.

Best wishes,
    Joe

• Hey, which of these apps handle entering chords with my real piano keyboard? I'm reading about Atom 2, and it looks like it can only do single notes right now.

• edited April 2022

@joegrant413 said:
    Hey, which of these apps handle entering chords with my real piano keyboard? I'm reading about Atom 2, and it looks like it can only do single notes right now.

SunVox can record MIDI both in real time and step entry.

As of 2.0 it can also send MIDI notes and CC to other AU when running as AU.

• Pure Acid can do this.

• StepPolyArp has a mode for that

• Geez, I have StepPolyArp but kinda' forgot about it. Yeah, "step" and "poly" would suggest what I'm looking for!

• edited April 2022

@cyberheater said:

The forthcoming OODA can do that ... but with a lot of interesting options. See here ...

• tjatja
    edited April 2022

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@syrupcore said:

This is the one:

https://forum.audiob.us/profile/midiSequencer

Last online December 2021 in this forum.

But last update to Quatum only 2 month ago!!!

AND, lastly he created a hex-based tactics board game:

https://apps.apple.com/app/skirmish-1944/id1597985916?l=en

Going to check this out!

• After trying out StepPolyArp and getting frustrated and then seeing what Atom 2 could do, I finally got around to buying the Rozetta suite.

Sweet! Cells was intuitivel. I got what I wanted with it pretty quickly. Thanks.

• edited April 2022

So does this leave me with little reason to check out a Keystep Pro?