Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Yamaha MODX8 vs Korg Kross 2

hi all! When questions arise, I visit your forum, but have not registered, now I want to your opinion. I choose a full-fledged MIDI keyboard from this list https://staccatomusic.org/audio-instruments/best-workstation-keyboard/ , I have selected 2 models for myself and now I want to ask you what is better ??
Yamaha MODX8 or Korg Kross 2
Is there any owner of any of them here? Did you have a similar problem? What have you chosen?

Comments

• Welcome to the forum @Iciannis. I have limited experience with workstations, but I have owned several, including the Roland FA-07.

Several questions...
    1. Do you plan to perform with it?
    2. Is keyboard action of importance?
    3. Can you stretch above a $2000 budget?
    4. Will you be producing tracks with it?
    5. Do you need 88 keys? 61 or 73 might do and aim you toward a Kronos. (61 note demo Kronos for $2900 at SweetWater, for example.)
    6. Would you consider used?

Firstly, between the two you are considering, IMO, the MODX is way better.

However, using a workstation for actual production is a no brainer. Don’t do it. Producing music on a limited keyboard screen is a headache... as I found out. And, considering you’re on the Audiobus Forum, one wonders what you do with your iPad? Many performers use it as a sound module for gigging. It’s cheaper for music production than desktop and way more fun in the opinion of many here.

I’m sure many will offer sage advice.

• edited March 2021

I’m a recovering workstation junkie. The deal is this: specs don’t mean a lot, especially with entry level modern workstations like these. You’re gonna get out what you put in for the most part, soooo....

It’s all about workflow. And the workflow is so deep in modern workstations that you can’t really appreciate it or decide you hate it until you’ve been able to spend some quality time with it after you’ve brought it home.

My advice is to buy whichever seems more appealing from a store with a good return policy and monitor the return deadline like hawk while spending as much time as you can trying to figure the thing out.

Edit: My vote is ... MOXF (and, I’d suppose the MODX by extension). I love that thing, and it plays exceptionally and uniquely well with iOS. The Yamaha paradigm can be a bit baffling to folks that aren’t familiar with it, though (but I swear by it!!)

• edited March 2021

@LinearLineman said:
    However, using a workstation for actual production is a no brainer. Don’t do it. Producing music on a limited keyboard screen is a headache... as I found out. And, considering you’re on the Audiobus Forum, one wonders what you do with your iPad? Many performers use it as a sound module for gigging. It’s cheaper for music production than desktop and way more fun in the opinion of many here.

I’m sure many will offer sage advice.

Yup, couldn’t agree more. Why buy functionality when you already have it and can add a MIDI-keyboard for a lot less money than at the cost of a workstation? If you’re not opting at the larger and more expensive workstations with advanced touchscreens or just GAS and the need to own something, the smaller screen size and clicking and scrolling will drive you nuts. Just want to play and record simple stuff? Buy a home keyboard with integrated speakers and have a blast. Owning a workstation for home use only made me feel bad about not using it, instead always coming back to the iPad.

Sold it, bought a MIDI- keyboard and now... peace of mind. Almost. I am not allowed to buy another single ”keyboard thingey” again wifey says.

We’ll see about that😊.

Regards,
    DMfan🇸🇪

• I agree with the points already raised, but if it has to be a straight shootout between the two keyboards you picked, I’d also go for the MODX.