Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Arpeggionome Lag?

Wondering if anyone is having the same issue (or if I'm just iOS app challenged).

In the app, I decide that I'm going to be alternating between two "points" in the app (same row so the tempo is consistent). 1 measure at point A, 1 measure at point B.

I'm finding some lag when moving from A to B, and the first couple of notes played at B are still from the A. My workaround has been to move to the second point a little sooner, but that throws the timing off, and I'm no longer playing on the beat. Sorry if that's confusing.

Am I just doing this wrong? I've tried recording some very simple stuff but the triggering issue makes it unusable.

Comments

• edited April 2014

In settings, set the quantization to Rate Mode. That should sort it out! The quantization affects how quickly the pattern changes when you move your finger. Took me a while to work out.

• Awesome, thanks! Still getting lag but nowhere near as bad as before.

• @hwangman - I think that's by design (and Michael_R_Grant's suggestion is how to turn it off). In pattern-based or arppegio apps, many of them default so that an input to change the pitch or change the pattern does not begin until the end of a measure, or completion of the sequence. Pretty sure that's what you're hearing and interpreting as "lag".

However, I do have another issue using it as a MIDI controller (especially on iPad2) where the arpeggiated sequence starts tripping over itself and then eventually just craps out and there's no audio. Last time it happened, it was with Argon, which is an older (but updated) synth. The CPU basically just "gave up" on some of the faster patterns. I'd have to try it with other synths to know if this is an "insufficient memory" issue, or just a shortcoming of the target synth app.

• The other lag can happen when you're controlling another app via Virtual MIDI. If you're in Audiobus, try reducing the latency setting as much as you can. When I reduced it to 128 (iPad Air) I found that I couldn't perceive any lag at all, whereas on 256 there did seem to be a slight, perceptible delay. I think it may also be affected by which app you're controlling.