Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Usage options of the Launchpad Pro MK3 on iOS

O.K so since there seems to be a lot of interest around the Launchpad Pro MK3 and there aren't many videos around (yet) that focus specifically on the iPad, I decided to make one. Beware though, I'm still figuring this whole YouTube thing out, so this might not be up to the standards you are used to :D.

In this video I'm taking into account:

• Launchpad by Ampify
  • LK by Imaginando
  • Creating a groovebox in AUM
  • Creating a lightshow with Mozaic
  • Demonstrating my groovebox

The last part ist there to show that you can use the Launchpad on it's on as an instrument. I'm very much still learning how to make music, so don't expect too much.

Yea I know, lot's of downplaying, but I'm still getting used to presenting of what I have created to an audience, even if that audience is really small :D.

I added timestamps and a link to the Mozaic script I used on patchstorage so you can try it out for yourself.

Atom 2 is missing on this list of course, because it's not out yet. But I'll make a follow up as soon as I can get my hands on it.

Comments

• edited March 2021

Thanks for this. As an owner of the LPPMk3 for about 6 months, I am just starting to understand its depths. It's helpful to see someone lay out on screen what they're doing to get these results. Loved the fact that it's 25 minutes long too. I'm usually just getting into something when it ends. The audio from the ipad is really good. Not so much from your voice.

• edited March 2021

Hi Florian,
    I'd like to use the sequencer of LP Pro as a standalone,
    no Ipad, no computer, no Ableton interfering, just the sequencer,
    with let's say a Volca Beats, volca bass and volca Keys.

If I want to use the sequencer for my Volca beats,
    Do you know if I can midi map the LP PRO Mk3
    to send different notes from the drum rack than
    those mentionned in your video (starting on C2 till D#3) ?
    Does Components allow to modify the notes sent
    by the Drum Rack of the sequencer or not ?
    Or is it bound in fact to be used only with ableton live?

• Nice video for sure!

I'm a real 'newbie' when it comes to LPPro3 so I'm still learning...
    Just wish more apps would have or get native support for...

It's kinda weird that I need to go to some 'strange mode' (setup & print to clip / mutation) to get the 'Capture Rec' button to send midi on the 'LPPro3 Midi' port. In normal mode the 'Capture Rec' button sends on the 'LPPro3 Daw' port.

Guess I'll have to do some RTFM on all the documentation available.

The arrows would be nice to map to transport/navigation and things like that...

Let's all learn to gather with iOS/iPadOS being the focus :)
    (Support in Logic Pro is a bad, bad joke compared to the support in Live Lite).

Cheers!

• @Johnba said:
    Hi Florian,
    I'd like to use the sequencer of LP Pro as a standalone,
    no Ipad, no computer, no Ableton interfering, just the sequencer,
    with let's say a Volca Beats, volca bass and volca Keys.

If I want to use the sequencer for my Volca beats,
    Do you know if I can midi map the LP PRO Mk3
    to send different notes from the drum rack than
    those mentionned in your video (starting on C2 till D#3) ?
    Does Components allow to modify the notes sent
    by the Drum Rack of the sequencer or not ?
    Or is it bound in fact to be used only with ableton live?

Hm, unfortuantely I don't think that you can change the notes for the drumpad in sequenzer mode. That only works for the custom modes. But I got this information on the MIDI notes of the volca beats, is this correct:

36 - C2 - Kick
    38 - D2 - Snare
    43 - G2 - Lo Tom
    50 - D3 - Hi Tom
    42 - F#2 - Closed Hat
    46 - A#2 - Open Hat
    39 - D#2 - Clap
    75 - D#5 - Claves
    67 - G4 - Agogo
    49 - C#3 - Crash

In this case you will still be able to use it because all the notes are within the range, it's just going to be awkward to play and there are empty pads in between the others.

• @Samu said:
    Nice video for sure!

I'm a real 'newbie' when it comes to LPPro3 so I'm still learning...
    Just wish more apps would have or get native support for...

It's kinda weird that I need to go to some 'strange mode' (setup & print to clip / mutation) to get the 'Capture Rec' button to send midi on the 'LPPro3 Midi' port. In normal mode the 'Capture Rec' button sends on the 'LPPro3 Daw' port.

Guess I'll have to do some RTFM on all the documentation available.

The arrows would be nice to map to transport/navigation and things like that...

Let's all learn to gather with iOS/iPadOS being the focus :)
    (Support in Logic Pro is a bad, bad joke compared to the support in Live Lite).

Cheers!

Yea I agree, there is still room to be explored. I think this will also involve the need for some scripting with Mozaic, since some buttons do different things then you would expect.

I'll have to see if the arrows send something if you aren't in session/daw mode. If not there is always the possibility to create a AUM Plugin for it with Mozaic. I drafted a basic version for the Launchkey that works fine. But we would have to think about what we want to do first and if it's not easier to achieve with a custom mode.

• Very nice! I have the X rather than the Pro but your video is still very useful.

• Just one more note about something I just found out. Even though you can‘t change the drumpads completely, you can change the octave it starts from with the down/up arrows and the note ist starts from with left/right. So you should be able to make it work with most apps / synths.

• @FloRi89 said:
    Just one more note about something I just found out. Even though you can‘t change the drumpads completely, you can change the octave it starts from with the down/up arrows and the note ist starts from with left/right. So you should be able to make it work with most apps / synths.

Ah, that’s Nice !
    Thks for letting us know

• You da man @FloRi89 !

Mine arrives tomorrow and this will really help me get started quickly. So cool to see the functions in LK working. Hopefully one day they’ll support the colours as well.

• @gregsmith said:
    You da man @FloRi89 !

Mine arrives tomorrow and this will really help me get started quickly. So cool to see the functions in LK working. Hopefully one day they’ll support the colours as well.

They are supporting some of the colors actually, in the LK thread someone mentioned what the problem was but I can't find it anymore. I think it was something along the lines of, that the colors on the LP Pro are limited (there are exactly 127) and they don't have corresponding colors for everything you can set in LK. Some of them are pretty acurate though, depending on how many clips you have you might be able to make it work.

• @FloRi89 said:

@gregsmith said:
    You da man @FloRi89 !

They are supporting some of the colors actually, in the LK thread someone mentioned what the problem was but I can't find it anymore. I think it was something along the lines of, that the colors on the LP Pro are limited (there are exactly 127) and they don't have corresponding colors for everything you can set in LK. Some of them are pretty acurate though, depending on how many clips you have you might be able to make it work.

I meant that LK doesn’t automatically match the colours of the pads on LPP to the colours of the clips. @sinosoidal said it’s possible but a lot of work so won’t be for a while. We can just manually match LK clip colours for now.

• @gregsmith said:

@FloRi89 said:

@gregsmith said:
    You da man @FloRi89 !

I meant that LK doesn’t automatically match the colours of the pads on LPP to the colours of the clips. @sinosoidal said it’s possible but a lot of work so won’t be for a while. We can just manually match LK clip colours for now.

Alternative option would be that @sinosoidal matches the LK colours with LP or gives the option to use LP colourpalette with LK. This way it’s a win-win.

• @gregsmith said:

@FloRi89 said:

@gregsmith said:
    You da man @FloRi89 !

Ah yea, now I get what you mean. Yea he is probably right, he would need to create mappings for 127 possible colors, that's a lot of work for something that isn't really a core function of LK and only relevant for a small subset of users. But the LP Pro MK3 is having a lot of traction right now, there might be a point where it's worth it for them.

• Is there a « note repeat » button like on the MPC on LPP3 when you are using the drumrack ?
    Thks

• @Johnba said:
    Is there a « note repeat » button like on the MPC on LPP3 when you are using the drumrack ?
    Thks

No, unfortunately that doesn't exist you can only play or program the notes. You can use micro steps though to get the "ratchet" effect that is mostly associated with note-repeat.

• I used to have circuit but now I sold it and bought LPX to work with Drambo.

What I mostly miss is the ability to change scales from the unit. Unfortunately there’s only 4 user presets and there’s no way they can cover all of the scale scenarios. Yes, there is the built in scale keyboard but it takes all of the space and can’t be shared with other buttons.

Does the pro allow for changing scales in user/custom presets or can it only be done in components? Or can it be saved within sessions?

On Circuit scales could be saved with session data which was very handy.

• edited March 2021

@supadom said:
    I used to have circuit but now I sold it and bought LPX to work with Drambo.

What I mostly miss is the ability to change scales from the unit. Unfortunately there’s only 4 user presets and there’s no way they can cover all of the scale scenarios. Yes, there is the built in scale keyboard but it takes all of the space and can’t be shared with other buttons.

Does the pro allow for changing scales in user/custom presets or can it only be done in components? Or can it be saved within sessions?

On Circuit scales could be saved with session data which was very handy.

Unfortunately the custom scales can't be changed in the device, or I'm not aware of it. You can change the scales for all other modes in the device though, for example for the sequencer and this scale will be saved into the project (I think, will try that out tonight). Maybe they'll add that with a firmware update, would be really handy.

The projects are related to the sequencer, so everything you set there will be saved into the project. The other things are seperate. It's confusing :D, but somehow it made sense to Novation I guess.

• Hi.
    I’ve just purchased the LPP and I’m loving it already. However, I have a few questions that you might be able to help me with?

1)
    The colors in LK aren’t really matching the colors on the LPP. Is there any way to change this - or any rumors about whether LK will make the colors match up better?

2)
    The colors are a bit better with Atom2, but sometimes I want to use LK as my main controller and make it launch Atom clips. How do I make sure that the LPP understands which app to control? It seems like Atom automatically goes into LPP mode.

3)
    Is it possible to sync the LPP with AUM? I’m thinking specifically about the sequencer in LPP and the print-to-clip function (which doesn’t work with Atom and other IOS apps, right?) So, if I create sequences on the LPP, can I then sync them with AUM, so I can essentially “record live” onto eg Atom? Or have you found other ways of doing this? I heard some rumors about an integration of print-to-clip in Atom…is this still something that might happen in an update?

4)
    How do you specify the midi channels that the sequencer sends through? I probably should be able to read this in the manual, but I can’t seem to find it.

• edited July 2021

@galmandsværk The launchpad Pro is a cool controller. To map the MIDI, there's two ways I'm aware of. Midisync control is an iOS app that allows you to map it, and the Novation Components website is the website designed to work for mapping the controller.

I used it on my Windows PC, but I'm not sure if the website works on Safari or Chrome as iOS doesn't really support WebMIDI.

If you're curious about other apps that work with the controller, check out this video I made a few weeks ago. I used a Novation Launchpad mk2 but a lot of these apps are worth checking.

• @galmandsværk said:
    Hi.
    I’ve just purchased the LPP and I’m loving it already. However, I have a few questions that you might be able to help me with?

1)
    The colors in LK aren’t really matching the colors on the LPP. Is there any way to change this - or any rumors about whether LK will make the colors match up better?

Scroll back a few posts for a bit more detailed discussion. It's possible that it will improve, but isn't an easy fix and there's no timeframe indicated for when it may be done.

2)
    The colors are a bit better with Atom2, but sometimes I want to use LK as my main controller and make it launch Atom clips. How do I make sure that the LPP understands which app to control? It seems like Atom automatically goes into LPP mode.

I think maybe all you need to do is disable the Launchpad Pro Mk3 script from the "Toggle Scripts" setting under the hamburger menu. If that doesn't work, then I remember a post somewhere about commenting out one of the lines in a script. I can try to find it if needed.

• Thanks, @wim - much appreciated. Sloppy reading on my part :smile:

Seems like Atom is the better option for me with the LPP. I like that LK has a better overview for more structured songs and the ability to have clear and long names for each clip, but the lack of integration with the colors on the LPP is just too confusing in a live setting, I think.

I’ll check out the scripts in Atom and see if that fixes tit for me when I use both apps at the same time.

• Thanks, @seonnthaproducer - I’ll check out your video. It’s not really the midi mapping I’m talking about, but rather whether it is possible to sync the LPP with AUM, so they stay in time. E.g. if I start the timeline in AUM and then start the sequencer on the LPP, can they play in sync with the LPP being the “slave”?

• Yet another question about LPP and AUM - and how to midi map the volume control of AUM.

I have created several sessions in AUM for live performances. Each song has its own session with the same midi mapping, so I can control every song in the same way. So far, so good.

My main problem right now is the volume control of each channel in AUM.

I have tried mapping the knobs on my Novation Circuit as well as on my LPP, hoping that they would “read” the saved volume settings, but they don’t. Which means that I essentially have to make a live mix on the fly, which I would prefer not to. The idea was to make a solid mix and save it, and then only use the knobs/buttons on the MIDI controllers to make small adjustments while I perform.

Is there any way to set up either the LPP or Novation Circuit to automatically adjust their volume settings to match the saved settings in an AUM session?

I hope my question makes sense :)

• Separate gain from performance oriented mixer levels? So that full mixer level corresponds to intended full volume

• @wahnfrieden said:
    Separate gain from performance oriented mixer levels? So that full mixer level corresponds to intended full volume

Yes, that’s what I’ll probably end up doing. I’ll just put in a gain plug-in for each channel and mix the sessions through the gain, and then keep faders at the same level.

Cheers!

• I’ve been trying to setup a live looping setup with AUM, LK and launchpad pro. All works really well apart from getting drums working. I think the only way to get drum pads in session mode is to use custom layout 3 or make your own. This is sort of fine for some drum apps, but not quite as good as the sequencer drum mode where you can move the octaves up and down with the arrow keys.

Am I being silly or missing something?

• edited September 2021

I beleieve theres a sysex command you can send to it, but oersonally i havent triend this one:

Edit: i really need to stop dicking around in mozaic and just stark using their sdk/api for firmwares