Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM disappearing nodes

Just seeing if anyone else has had an issue with this. Using AB as main host with AUM and Xequence. Project has been saving/opening fine then today had 3 channels disappear. The only thing it remembers are the channel names so all nodes and cc assigns gone (pretty soul destroying-there was a lot). Also looks like it’s reverted to an earlier AUM session but AB and Xequence are fine...

Comments

• iOS 14.4 iPhone 8+

• @Zerozerozero said:
    Just seeing if anyone else has had an issue with this. Using AB as main host with AUM and Xequence. Project has been saving/opening fine then today had 3 channels disappear. The only thing it remembers are the channel names so all nodes and cc assigns gone (pretty soul destroying-there was a lot). Also looks like it’s reverted to an earlier AUM session but AB and Xequence are fine...

I wonder if you've been hit by the iOS 14 "disappearing AUv3 apps" bug. Try restarting your iPhone, power off, not just sleep. This can happen once in a while, more often for some users.

• @Zerozerozero said:
    iOS 14.4 iPhone 8+

I’m on 8+ with 14.4 and haven’t had this issue, I don’t normally use AUM inside AB3 though.

• @uncledave said:

@Zerozerozero said:

I wonder if you've been hit by the iOS 14 "disappearing AUv3 apps" bug. Try restarting your iPhone, power off, not just sleep. This can happen once in a while, more often for some users.

Have done reboot ☹️

• @Zerozerozero said:

Have you been saving the Audiobus session after making any changes in AUM?

• Yes. My normal process is to save AB session and then Xequence also (just in case).

• Also, in this project, when swiping to bypass a node in AUM it would sometimes make an instrument in AB distort.

• Does the distortion occur if you start playback with the node bypassed?

What if you lower the signal so that it doesn’t keep going into the red?

• Yes.
    Distortion appears regardless of levels.
    Happens on any channel when bypassing node. Certain apps trigger it without fail (TB and FAC - not to single them out, just observation) while others are just occasionally.
    Have I corrupted an AB or AUM file? No idea if that’s even possible, know nothing of iOS under the hood. Baffled

• @Zerozerozero said:
    Yes.
    Distortion appears regardless of levels.
    Happens on any channel when bypassing node. Certain apps trigger it without fail (TB and FAC - not to single them out, just observation) while others are just occasionally.
    Have I corrupted an AB or AUM file? No idea if that’s even possible, know nothing of iOS under the hood. Baffled

Can you post a demonstration with a super simple setup and where the meters (input or output) don't go into the red where it happens?

There may be something particular about how you have things set up that contributes. I bypass nodes all the time and haven't encountered anything like this.

• Can do, yes. Problem is only specific to this project though, so while not particularly messy, it’s not super simple.
    Have only checked a couple of other projects but so far issue is just on this one. Will drop levels and post asap 👍🏻

• With levels dropped

• @Zerozerozero said:

With levels dropped

Are there nodes besides that one that result in that sound? Have you checked the settings for whatever plugin is loaded there? To help you diagnose it, we really need to see more of the signal path and settings.

Things you can do on your own:

• check the settings on the plugin that you are engaging and disengaging
    • eliminate the signal chain before that channel as an issue by capturing a couple of measures of the undistorted audio and loading that audio at the top of that channel as a file player.
    • spend some time on your own to simplify the signal chain to see which things are contributing.

If that doesn't reveal anything, providing pictures of all the parts of your chain might give a clue.

In the most recent clip, I don't hear distortion when the node is bypassed. I hear a high-mid boost when you engage that node that reveals some sounds not heard without it.

• Node in video is Morphit. Problem isn’t specific to that node or channel though.
    Started simplifying things but just made issue even less predictable. Unpleasant noise started jumping to different channels, removing some au’s made it disappear sometimes, sometimes not.
    Beyond my technical and time limits. Will delete project.
    iOS is hard work for me recently 😓

• @espiegel123
    Appreciate your thoughts and comments 🙏🏻