Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

LIVE recording: AB, Auria, Final Touch Pro

Here is a multitrack live recording of a band I play with at a medium sized club venue. 4 drum mics, 1 on guitar amp, 1 on bass, 1 bass DI, 1 on keyboard amp. Run through AB > Auria. Master mix processed with some compression and light IR 'verb. Mastered with Final Touch Pro.

Keyboard was a Nord Electro 2 through AB for compression and extra drive/gain, played through a '65 Fender Princeton Reverb silverface. Drummer is a monster. Ditto bassist. Once you get past the keys solo, you're in for a real treat: guitarist rips it LIGHTS OUT with a PRS/Mesa combo!

Link below.

Comments

• I preferred the keyboard solo. Everyone has obvious chops, but the guitarist's solo suffered from overshred and at times he was masking the harmonic progression. Lazy scale choices, probably.
    Still, better than I can play...

• edited April 2014

he's being modest, but you are right PaulB, that keyboard solo! Great performance!

Can we get details on the routing and process? What interface are you using that allows you to record 5+ multiple audio inputs? Is all that separate from the PA or are you also mixing in Auria for the live feed to PA?

And what iPad are you using? I was under the impression multi-track recording in Auria required higher latency settings thus ruling out any live signal processing... but you mention you are running some live effect processing thru Audiobus for your keyboard.

This is quite impressive, thanks for posting.

• I agree with PaulB, the keyboard solo was much better, the guitarist rocked out more than I would have liked over those changes. It would have been better if the guitar player treated it more like a jazz tune and used a smoother fusion tone. IMHO

• That drummer is on drugs. I'll take what he's having. ;)

Awesome performance. Great work. Interested in Hmtx's use question.

• Wow, awesome track. Agreed re: keyboard solo, great stuff.

Also wondering about the recording setup... I can't reliably get stutter-free audio doing one simple instrument to Auria via AB on my iPad Mini Retina, let alone live multitracking.

• There were two iPad Air's in use. I'll give a complete run-down of the signal flow to the interested folks as soon as I get back on the ground! 2 down, 1 to go. Couch, here I come!

• @Hmtx said:

I was under the impression multi-track recording in Auria required higher latency settings thus ruling out any live signal processing... but you mention you are running some live effect processing thru Audiobus for your keyboard.

If you don't need to monitor the audio in real time via Auria you could set the latency to 20 seconds and it wouldn't matter.

• Exactly Syrupcore, but I couldn't figure out how he was also processing the keyboard for effects on the same iPad. (2 iPads explains it)

• Yes, one iPad dedicated solely to audio recording. Recording rig was patched in via XLR splitter on each channel. Focusrite 18i8 with OctoPRE SPDiF. There was no live monitoring of recorded signals aside from an engi keeping an eye on the meters and adjusting gain if need be. Pretty simple all in all. I'll post another tune from that show if anyone is interested in it. It's got a gnarly synth solo, compliments of my Moog Little Phatty Stage II!

• edited April 2014

Wow that was great! Would have loved to have seen that live. Nice recording rig too, my brother just got the 18i20 and I have been itching to get my hands on it. Post the recording of Meeting of the Spirits by Mahavishnu Orchestra if you did that one. Always dug that tune.

• I don't know, maybe I'm being sentimental but i think this is a good example of how revolutionary the iPad can be for music. Even with the XLR splitters and cables, the entire recording rig could be tucked under the seat on an airplane. that's crazy.

I'd listen to a lot more of that show, especially the synth bits :)

• @Hmtx said:

I don't know, maybe I'm being sentimental but i think this is a good example of how revolutionary the iPad can be for music. Even with the XLR splitters and cables, the entire recording rig could be tucked under the seat on an airplane. that's crazy.

I'd listen to a lot more of that show, especially the synth bits :)

You got it. I'll post one or two more later today!

• Well done, it sounds great. It definitely speaks to the value of having a good drummer as well (not just a drummer with chops, a GOOD drummer)- when that's the case you don't need many mics.

• edited May 2014

@mrufino1 said:

Well done, it sounds great. It definitely speaks to the value of having a good drummer as well (not just a drummer with chops, a GOOD drummer)- when that's the case you don't need many mics.

Well said!

• edited April 2014

A balanced drummer ( playingwise,balanced personality too is even better!) is worth everything. I love using a mic in the kick and an omni in the center of the kit, down near the snare, with a balanced drummer. Maybe an overhead if I have the luxury. Maybe.

• For all you synth geeks:

This tune is a set-opener that just started out as a guitar lick... and pretty much stayed that way. Good for checking the lines, though!

• yeah, just a guitar lick... :)