Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Who loves GeoShred?

Comments

• good to know

• Agreed .. Pat and the team are always very helpful and friendly 👍

• It is almost crazy how responsive and involved they are in their customer support but also bug chasing and improvement of their app (whenever possible).

• Pat is one of the nicest and most helpful dudes I've come across in my life, never mind just in general. Absolutely top guy!

• edited September 2022

I like the sound- not for guitar but for abstract electroacoustics- but without a patch randomizer I don't really have a use for it-

• @setAI said:
    I like the sound- not for guitar but for abstract electroacoustics- but without a patch randomizer I don't really have a use for it-

Hopefully moForte will continue to add more modeled instruments and sounds. In my opinion, they should make deals with nearly any developer who has focused their research on this area.

• It makes me wish I had time to practice guitar more and get up to the kind of speed I can get to with GeoShred.

• @Gavinski said:
    the UI is ugly

If they would just remove the unnecessary star-flashing when pressing notes it would be an improvement. Why not just a more subtle indication?

• @Stochastically said:

@Gavinski said:
    the UI is ugly

If they would just remove the unnecessary star-flashing when pressing notes it would be an improvement. Why not just a more subtle indication?

Definitely, that's been said so many times I doubt it will happen tho

• @Stochastically said:

@Gavinski said:
    the UI is ugly

You know you can turn that off, right? I did and it’s fine.

• @NeuM said:

You know you can turn that off, right? I did and it’s fine.

Really? I’m searching the menus; what’s it called? Can’t find anything under ‘annoying star flashing’ 😉

• Settings…
    Enable / Disable Finger Effects
    And
    Enable / Disable Same Notes

• Just picked up GeoShred Control (for free, so why not) - this is all pretty new to me.

Any great uses for this version of the app in particular?

Any compelling reason to buy the full version? Assuming zero interest in their in-house instruments, that is.

• @GeoTony said:
    Settings…
    And

Ah thnx! So much gold in ‘em ‘er menus, often about as hard to find as gold is too lol

• @emjay this is a bit old but guess it still applies, think if your not interested in the GS sounds there’s no reason to upgrade based on this …
    https://www.facebook.com/geoshred/posts/we-are-sometimes-asked-about-what-the-difference-is-between-geoshred-pro-play-an/2011347535781389/
    The main use of GS Control therefore is just as a tremendous MPE capable controller 😊

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    Geoshred is amazing, it’s just a shame that the vast majority of the presets are swamped by over the top FX.

Agreed. Geoshred is amazing but out of the box a lot of the sounds are tacky (this of course is a matter of taste) and the UI is ugly (again a matter of taste). I also don't really enjoy the way the menus are set up but it is designed as a very powerful and customizable tool.

About Velocity Keyboard: Velocity Keyboard is overrated. It doesn't respond to velocity very well. It really only has a few levels of velocity. You can test this yourself using an app like midi curve. The Geoshred team did a lot of testing on this and Jordan Ruddess and other pro level players found that VK gave nowhere near the level of control they needed. If it had done, Geoshred would have copied VK but they decided not to.

Harsh, man.

re: velocity keyboard. While the number of velocity levels in velocity keyboard may be limited, even that limited amount is quite useful and can significantly enhance the expressiveness compared to no dynamics. I'd hardly say that it is overrated. It is quite useful...is it a as good as a good external controller? No, but even a small range of dynamics can make a big difference.

Yeah, I prefer VK for controlling the non-GS SWAMs. It gives me all the expression I can use. The GS SWAMs are overall more responsive though.

• @GeoTony said:
    Settings…
    And

Thanks - that helps a lot. My eyes must have glazed over that. Although maybe a subtle highlight or something would be okay.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr , it’s worth trying GS again after the recent update. I struggled to get a smooth increase in velocity on the Y axis before but this is now resolved so expressiveness is improved. Not sure if this is what @Yoni was referring to earlier.
    Regards…

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:
    Geoshred is amazing, it’s just a shame that the vast majority of the presets are swamped by over the top FX.

Agreed. Geoshred is amazing but out of the box a lot of the sounds are tacky (this of course is a matter of taste) and the UI is ugly (again a matter of taste). I also don't really enjoy the way the menus are set up but it is designed as a very powerful and customizable tool.

About Velocity Keyboard: Velocity Keyboard is overrated. It doesn't respond to velocity very well. It really only has a few levels of velocity. You can test this yourself using an app like midi curve. The Geoshred team did a lot of testing on this and Jordan Ruddess and other pro level players found that VK gave nowhere near the level of control they needed. If it had done, Geoshred would have copied VK but they decided not to.

Harsh, man.

re: velocity keyboard. While the number of velocity levels in velocity keyboard may be limited, even that limited amount is quite useful and can significantly enhance the expressiveness compared to no dynamics. I'd hardly say that it is overrated. It is quite useful...is it a as good as a good external controller? No, but even a small range of dynamics can make a big difference.

Yeah, I prefer VK for controlling the non-GS SWAMs. It gives me all the expression I can use. The GS SWAMs are overall more responsive though.

For me, the main downside of VK against GS is the XY Pad. I would love to have a nice XY pad like in GeoShred because I find the 4 knobs assigned each to only one CC not very suitable for live performance.

• @Paulo164 said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

Harsh, man.

For me, the main downside of VK against GS is the XY Pad. I would love to have a nice XY pad like in GeoShred because I find the 4 knobs assigned each to only one CC not very suitable for live performance.

I gave in and got Velocity Keyboard based on the praise it occasionally gets here, but found it subpar compared to GeoShred. Got a refund and deleted it.

• @NeuM said:

@Paulo164 said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

Harsh, man.

I gave in and got Velocity Keyboard based on the praise it occasionally gets here, but found it subpar compared to GeoShred. Got a refund and deleted it.

Agree.... Geoshred over time became my preference. Unfortunately neither save state fully when it comes to things like scales. As I mentioned in one thread before, Pat from MoForte explained to me in depth that - for Geoshred at least - this was an Apple problem. Despite the fact they have some heavy duty contacts in the Apple music team, these issues have never been resolved by Apple. I'll try to find his email about that

• Here we go. Again, an illustration of what a goddamn serious and good dev MoForte is, the based on the thoroughness and knowledge behind the response:

"It's important to note that the only thing we store in the parameter tree is the setlist number (bank) and preset number. There are several reasons for this.
    Apple designed the parameter tree to only hold a small number of parameters, perhaps around 50 max. This is fine for synths that have a fixed topology and a small number of parameters.

However GeoShred currently has about 700 parameters and will easily pop 1000 later in the year and more after that. Putting all of GeoShred's parameters in the parameter tree is not possible, but would be unwieldy for the user. That's fine. Just make your changes to the preset or a copy of the preset and save them.

Note that GeoShred has a dynamic, re-programmable topology via "Model & FX" and though there are over 700 parameters in GeoShred, only the parameters in the current preset's topology are relevant. And further, only the parameters on the control surface are relevant. Just a handful. So why not re-write the parameter tree for each preset in GeoShred? This is supposed to be possible, but it has been broken for several years now. We have reported it to Apple. In fact we have had a bug filed with Apple since 2018, and we have even met with them about this problem. To no avail it has not yet been fixed."

• @Gavinski said:
    Here we go. Again, an illustration of what a goddamn serious and good dev MoForte is, the based on the thoroughness and knowledge behind the response:

"It's important to note that the only thing we store in the parameter tree is the setlist number (bank) and preset number. There are several reasons for this.
    Apple designed the parameter tree to only hold a small number of parameters, perhaps around 50 max. This is fine for synths that have a fixed topology and a small number of parameters.

However GeoShred currently has about 700 parameters and will easily pop 1000 later in the year and more after that. Putting all of GeoShred's parameters in the parameter tree is not possible, but would be unwieldy for the user. That's fine. Just make your changes to the preset or a copy of the preset and save them.

Note that GeoShred has a dynamic, re-programmable topology via "Model & FX" and though there are over 700 parameters in GeoShred, only the parameters in the current preset's topology are relevant. And further, only the parameters on the control surface are relevant. Just a handful. So why not re-write the parameter tree for each preset in GeoShred? This is supposed to be possible, but it has been broken for several years now. We have reported it to Apple. In fact we have had a bug filed with Apple since 2018, and we have even met with them about this problem. To no avail it has not yet been fixed."

I think it would take a constant drumbeat from customers to change something like this. Apple acts when one squeaky wheel becomes most of the wheels.

• Thanks for posting that @Gavinski , very interesting and explains a few things.
    I realised quite a while ago that GS saving across AUM sessions was problematic. Also, because only the preset number is saved, it was also problematic across GS versions since new presets are introduced. So what was preset 42 may in a new version be preset 53 and therefore the wrong preset will appear in AUM.
    The way I get round this is to save any important setup as a new user preset… funnily enough 5 minutes ago I saved user preset #111 to go with the track I am working on. By doing this, even if presets are introduced in the next version of GS I can always find and reload #111.

• edited September 2022

@GeoTony said:
    @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr , it’s worth trying GS again after the recent update. I struggled to get a smooth increase in velocity on the Y axis before but this is now resolved so expressiveness is improved. Not sure if this is what @Yoni was referring to earlier.
    Regards…

I never had a complaint about GS. I just found VK a lot faster and easier to set up, and I don’t need velocity to control a wind instrument.

I just wanna blow, man. I don’t like tinkering with apps.

• @GeoTony said:
    Thanks for posting that @Gavinski , very interesting and explains a few things.
    I realised quite a while ago that GS saving across AUM sessions was problematic. Also, because only the preset number is saved, it was also problematic across GS versions since new presets are introduced. So what was preset 42 may in a new version be preset 53 and therefore the wrong preset will appear in AUM.
    The way I get round this is to save any important setup as a new user preset… funnily enough 5 minutes ago I saved user preset #111 to go with the track I am working on. By doing this, even if presets are introduced in the next version of GS I can always find and reload #111.

That's a good idea. Definitely the situation is annoying. Every auv3 app should ideally save state properly, but in this case, definitely not the dev's fault.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@GeoTony said:
    @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr , it’s worth trying GS again after the recent update. I struggled to get a smooth increase in velocity on the Y axis before but this is now resolved so expressiveness is improved. Not sure if this is what @Yoni was referring to earlier.
    Regards…

I never had a complaint about GS. I just found VK a lot faster and easier to set up, and I don’t need velocity to control a wind instrument.

I just wanna blow, man. I don’t like tinkering with apps.

Again though, it doesn't save scales etc between sessions. Still waiting for the perfect ios mpe controller

• edited September 2022

@moForte
    How do I find GS on TestFlight? I got the email invite but it did not include a redeem code. Is there another way in?

The video shows a list of apps in TestFlight, on the left side. But how do you populate that list without a redeem code?

• If the email had an invite link, and you have TestFlight installed, if you click on invite in email it should automatically take you to TestFlight where it downloads the app. Once it’s downloaded in TestFlight it’s on your device. No need for any codes.