Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Art Kerns MidiDREAMs / DRUMs: deep walkthrough tutorial (Giveaway winners announce)

Art Kerns MidDREAMs / DRUMs: deep walkthrough tutorial video (Giveaway: 5 Copies of ANY Art Kerns app)

This has been out for a week or so, but this is currently the only video tutorial on this wonderful 2-for-1 midi sequencer app by Art Kerns. Fun fact: Art was the first person to ever release a midi sequencer for iOS, and has released a lot of great midi apps like midiLFOs, MidiGATEs and MidiSTEPs.

MidiDREAMs and midiDRUMs are 2 analogue-style modular sequencers - one more suited to melodies, one more suited to drums - for the price of one. There’s a lot to love, from the well-designed and intuitive interface to the powerful tools like gate input (using midi note input to advance the sequencer), ratcheting and the myriad of varied ways to mutate your sequences rhythmically and melodically. I’m a fan for sure. Subscribers to the channel have the chance to win one of 5 copies of ANY Art Kerns app - details are in the pinned Youtube comment as usual. Good luck.

This video has timestamps when viewed in YouTube.

Please remember, folks, that although we live in an age of an abundance of free online content, this content is produced by flesh and blood people - people like me and you. So you can make the choice to help out the channel by not watching these behind an ad blocker, as I am sure you do not want to exploit your dear old Gavinski any more than YouTube is already exploiting him 😉. A lot of viewers ask how Youtube ad revenue works - basically, if you skip ads before 30 seconds is up, or without clicking on a link, the creator is unlikely to get any remuneration from Youtube. So when you view vids by Youtubers you like, watching at least one or two ads is a good way to support us. Thank you!

You can follow me on Twitter at @gavinski_s. I mostly only post music-related stuff. Also, if you enjoy the channel and would like to show your appreciation, my PalPal is
https://paypal.me/GavinskisTutorials I am very happy when people support me in this way, and will certainly take the time to email you to thank you personally if you do 🙏.

Comments

• Epic job mate, really opened my eyes to the depth of this !

• wimwim
    edited March 2021

@Gavinski said:
    ... A lot of viewers ask how Youtube ad revenue works - basically, if you skip ads before 30 seconds is up, or without clicking on a link, the creator is unlikely to get any remuneration from Youtube. So when you view vids by Youtubers you like, watching at least one or two ads is a good way to support us. Thank you!

Thanks for this info. I always wondered how long I need to watch ads to trigger credit for the content creator.

• Thanks.. the ‘Gate Input’ feature would have been missed, if was not for the video.. interesting..

Great Video..

• @wim said:

@Gavinski said:
    ... A lot of viewers ask how Youtube ad revenue works - basically, if you skip ads before 30 seconds is up, or without clicking on a link, the creator is unlikely to get any remuneration from Youtube. So when you view vids by Youtubers you like, watching at least one or two ads is a good way to support us. Thank you!

Thanks for this info. I always wondered how long I need to watch ads to trigger credit for the content creator.

Cheers Wim!

@RajahP said:
    Thanks.. the ‘Gate Input’ feature would have been missed, if was not for the video.. interesting..

Great Video..

Several people are extremely excited about this gate input feature, @aleyas and @EnriquePage91 have both waxed lyrical about what a big deal it is.

What are theain things that people want to see changed or added to the app? For me personally, my biggest gripe is that there are 4 things that the probability sliders can be assigned to, but only one set of probability sliders. I'd like to see 4 probability tabs, each with a set of probability sliders for different things. Why should I have to choose between having mute probability or ratchet probability, for example? I'd like both.

• I would love to see it develop into something like UVI Falcon step ARP (see video below).

That’s probably a step to far mind pardon the pun!

I suppose you would have to use a combo of midi AU to achieve what that does ?

• edited March 2021

You already know this cause we talked about this yesterday, but I think that per step ratcheting (independent of probability) would be a big improvement. The skip step and deactivate step functions have dedicated buttons per step. An option to display a 3rd row of buttons for ratcheting would be convenient. In fact, the skip step buttons and (proposed) ratchet buttons could share the same location on the gui, just switching between either function with a toggle button. That would ensure only minimal redesign of the interface (a toggle button for skip / ratchet). Furthermore, sliding up/down on the ratchet buttons could set its ratchet length (2,3,4).

I also think a ‘reset sequence’ option should be available. Perhaps a midi CC message could enable this, to automatically bring you back to step one. Useful in many scenarios, especially with the wonderful GATE clocking mode.

As Gavinski has said - only one parameter controlled by probability at a time does feel a bit limited, especially if it’s a parameter like ratcheting, which should just be part of the main interface.

• @Gavinski said:

@wim said:

@Gavinski said:

Cheers Wim!

@RajahP said:
    Thanks.. the ‘Gate Input’ feature would have been missed, if was not for the video.. interesting..

Great Video..

Several people are extremely excited about this gate input feature, @aleyas and @EnriquePage91 have both waxed lyrical about what a big deal it is.

What are theain things that people want to see changed or added to the app? For me personally, my biggest gripe is that there are 4 things that the probability sliders can be assigned to, but only one set of probability sliders. I'd like to see 4 probability tabs, each with a set of probability sliders for different things. Why should I have to choose between having mute probability or ratchet probability, for example? I'd like both.

I am hoping for 8 sliders.. MidiSteps has 3.. and It can use more..

• @Jumpercollins said:
    I would love to see it develop into something like UVI Falcon step ARP (see video below).

Seems like ...

• Really digging this app. Powerful, beautiful interface, enjoyable to use.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    I would love to see it develop into something like UVI Falcon step ARP (see video below).

Very cool!

• @Jumpercollins i guess arpbud2 could do some of those step arp things.

• @Gavinski said:
    @Jumpercollins i guess arpbud2 could do some of those step arp things.

@Gavinski tried LK with a Chord sequence into Korg Module and layered Arpbud 2 on top you can get something vaguely similar going. Will have to experiment further.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@Gavinski said:

@Gavinski tried LK with a Chord sequence into Korg Module and layered Arpbud 2 on top you can get something vaguely similar going. Will have to experiment further.

StepPolyArp might be a good one to explore too. Such a powerful app.

• The lucky winners

Saintmoz (midiGates)
    Teo Bonvini (mididreams)
    NK turley (midiSTEPs)
    Gokhan Canbulat (mididreams)
    Nobatt Tröll (midi lfos)

BIG CONGRATS!
    🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

• edited March 2021

@Gavinski said:
    The lucky winners

Saintmoz (midiGates)
    Teo Bonvini (mididreams)
    NK turley (midiSTEPs)
    Gokhan Canbulat (mididreams)
    Nobatt Tröll (midi lfos)

BIG CONGRATS!
    🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

Cheers Gav...(and Art) 👍

• @Gavinski said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Gavinski said:

Thanks for the suggestion. SPA work great for this, you can change the length of every row and get different rhythms this way and have plenty of patterns that it doesn’t get boring. Love it.

• Senode already does most of that by itself. Send combinations of Fugue Machine, Scaler, a slow arp, etc., into Senode for even more variation.

• @ALB said:

@Gavinski said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@Gavinski said:

Thanks for the suggestion. SPA work great for this, you can change the length of every row and get different rhythms this way and have plenty of patterns that it doesn’t get boring. Love it.

I should really make a vid on SPA at some point. I think a lot of ppl are not fully aware of how great it is. I know I wasn't until I took the time to read the manual. Super unique workflow and great interface.

• @RajahP said:

Great Video..

@Gavinski said:

@wim said:

@Gavinski said:

Cheers Wim!

@RajahP said:

Great Video..

• edited March 2021

@Gavinski or anyone else viewing this. Apart from the change in name to midiGates this appears to be buggy or maybe I’m just doing something fundamentally wrong. The manual (still branded as its original name) gives a very basic example using audiobus but midiGates won’t load on my iPad Pro (14.4.1). Part of the error suggests that it may not be ios 14 compatible or may need configuring for network.
    The reason I turned to the example is because I only managed to get it to work once in AUM and the results were bizarre - nothing like the simplicity of the use case in Gavin’ tutorial on steppolyarp (approx 49’ in). Thereafter I haven’t been able to get any audible action from it. I rebooted the iPad and still got the same results.
    Any suggestions for the simplest AUM setup together with the routing that I can try would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Lee

• Seems the cc messages do not save if you switch to another parameter.. eg. CC13 won’t save to the pattern if you switch to CC14.. same in MidiSteps....

• edited March 2021

@sdclee said:
    @Gavinski or anyone else viewing this. Apart from the change in name to midiGates this appears to be buggy or maybe I’m just doing something fundamentally wrong. The manual (still branded as its original name) gives a very basic example using audiobus but midiGates won’t load on my iPad Pro (14.4.1). Part of the error suggests that it may not be ios 14 compatible or may need configuring for network.
    The reason I turned to the example is because I only managed to get it to work once in AUM and the results were bizarre - nothing like the simplicity of the use case in Gavin’ tutorial on steppolyarp (approx 49’ in). Thereafter I haven’t been able to get any audible action from it. I rebooted the iPad and still got the same results.
    Any suggestions for the simplest AUM setup together with the routing that I can try would be much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Lee

This is not MidiGates.. it is MidiDREAMs, a StepSequencer.. or maybe I’m lost..

• Apologies as I am new to the forum and it doesn’t appear (on this page at least) to be threaded. Further to my post of 10:55pm today, I have a very simple AUM session with drum computer and midiGates working as well as with StepPolyArp. I think I might have to bone up more on routing as I often seem to have issues in AUM.

• Guys, I am completely confused here. My video was on mididreams which is a sequencer. MidiGates is a note filter and doesn't send out any midi, it filters midi from other apps. I'm completely confused by the pair of you lol @sdclee @RajahP

• @sdclee said:
    Apologies as I am new to the forum and it doesn’t appear (on this page at least) to be threaded. Further to my post of 10:55pm today, I have a very simple AUM session with drum computer and midiGates working as well as with StepPolyArp. I think I might have to bone up more on routing as I often seem to have issues in AUM.

Basically, an example setting would be:
    Route midi from step poly arp into midiGates. Then from midi gates into a synth. Use the slider in midiGates to filter the number of notes

• MidiDREAMs is such a great StepSeq, hope development continues on this beauty…

• @RajahP said:
    MidiDREAMs is such a great StepSeq, hope development continues on this beauty…

Has some very cool features for sure!

• Art Kerns apps don’t tend to get updated often once they’re stable and are past the initial stage. Then they just keep on a’ workin’ like they should for a long, long time. B)

• @wim said:
    Art Kerns apps don’t tend to get updated often once they’re stable and are past the initial stage. Then they just keep on a’ workin’ like they should for a long, long time. B)

Yeah, I think he puts so much into making them in the first place, and doing tje highly detailed manuals. When they're done, they're done, except for maybe bug fixes here and there like you say Wim

• @Gavinski said:

@RajahP said:
    MidiDREAMs is such a great StepSeq, hope development continues on this beauty…

Has some very cool features for sure!

When you dig deep into it... it is really astonishing.. Can only imagine having individual sliders for CC, Probability, etc... Maybe 6.

The Key/Scale is mad...