Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Feedback from iPad mic. How to mute it?

This is weird.

Guitar amp usb into iPad, amp sim running, headphones on. Everything fine!
Amp has independent aux and Bluetooth in but when connect to either instead of headphones I get feedback?
I can only assume iPad mic is picking up amplified sound and causing feedback?
However if I use a separate iOS interface it works fine?
Anyway to mute the mic, or can anyone think of another reason?

Pulling my hair out ☹️

Comments

• The iPad mic alone cannot cause feedback. It must be connected to an app that's feeding its signal to the speakers. You should be able to mute it in that app.

Exactly what apps are you running in the iPad? Which amp sim? Cubasis, AUM, Audiobus, etc.

Also not clear on on this guitar amp with Aux and Bluetooth inputs, and how that relates to using headphones or not. Could you be more specific about the overall configurations in which feedback occurs? Is there any chance you're looping the amp output (over USB?) through the iPad and back to the amp input?

• I think your last comment could be correct.
    Amp is fender mustang GT. it has aux in and Bluetooth. Only mentioned it as same occurs over either meaning a physical connection is not the problem

Using number of sims including biasfx and Tonebridge . As you say, both these use the mic so they probably disconnect it when in use and muting in the app stops problem.

Could be the usb cable transmits sound back up to the amp although it doesn’t come out of speakers.

• @Pacemaker1000 said:
    I think your last comment could be correct.
    Amp is fender mustang GT. it has aux in and Bluetooth. Only mentioned it as same occurs over either meaning a physical connection is not the problem

Using number of sims including biasfx and Tonebridge . As you say, both these use the mic so they probably disconnect it when in use and muting in the app stops problem.

Could be the usb cable transmits sound back up to the amp although it doesn’t come out of speakers.

When trying to figure out feedback, you'd really need to show us a complete picture of all the apps and their routings.

To troubleshoot, start over and add one component at a time until you encounter the problem. That will help you know where to focus your attention.

• Ok. Bare setup.
    Amp usb into camera adapter into iPad.
    Amp volume off
    Only biasfx running
    Headphones connected to iPad 3.5mm...perfect
    Headphones replaced by cable to aux in feedback unless mute biasfx

• @Pacemaker1000 said:
    Ok. Bare setup.
    Amp volume off
    Only biasfx running

It sounds like you created a feedback loop by sending your amps output to Bias FX and then sending BIAS FX's output back to the amp.

• @Pacemaker1000 said:
    Ok. Bare setup.
    Amp volume off
    Only biasfx running

Sounds like the amp aux input is being mixed with your guitar (there is a guitar, yes?), being digitized and sent to the iPad, causing feedback. Does the amp maybe have a switch to separate the instrument input part from the aux input through amp and speakers part? Otherwise, I don't think you can do this.

• I have had the sound coming out of my headphones get picked up by the ipad mic and cause feedback, but this was always when I was using the mic to record my voice. It only happened when I had Crushstation in the fx chain.

• The amp has the ability for the guitar to be silent with the master volume turned right down and still play stuff through the aux in. Hence I thought it would work.

• @Pacemaker1000 said:
    The amp has the ability for the guitar to be silent with the master volume turned right down and still play stuff through the aux in. Hence I thought it would work.

Yeah. What you don't know is where the digitizer is in the audio chain. I read the manual, and I still don't know. Is there maybe a preset that lets it work that way? I wonder if you could use the FX return, but that's likely still ahead of the digitizer. From the description, it sounds like they're not intending the USB digitizer to feed "in-the-loop" processing. It's meant just for recording to a DAW.

• edited March 2021

@Pacemaker1000 said:
    Amp has independent aux and Bluetooth in but when connect to either instead of headphones I get feedback?

@Pacemaker1000 said:

that's normal , what are you trying to achieve by using the aux input ?

• @Korakios said:

@Pacemaker1000 said:

@Pacemaker1000 said:

Goal is to use the amp as all in one interface and monitor for amp sims.
    People with the Spark amp are doing this successfully

• @Pacemaker1000 said:

@Korakios said:

@Pacemaker1000 said:

@Pacemaker1000 said:

But you said it does work with headphones .
    AUX input is not for headphones, it’s an input

• Was referring there to iPad headphones output which is good when connected to everything apart from the amp aux in

Just realised don’t even have guitar connected. Purely amp sim which somehow must be going back to amp through usb interface? And creating the feedback when a second source is connected?

• @Pacemaker1000 said:
    Was referring there to iPad headphones output which is good when connected to everything apart from the amp aux in

Just realised don’t even have guitar connected. Purely amp sim which somehow must be going back to amp through usb interface? And creating the feedback when a second source is connected?

No, I think the amp aux input is before the digitizer, so its signal is present in the USB input to the amp sim in your iPad. Since the iPad audio output is feeding the amp aux input through the headphone jack, you're creating a feedback loop. You can easily verify this by feeding the aux input from a different source, and confirm that the signal reaches the iPad amp sim.

You mention a different amp, "Spark", for which this works. But that has nothing to do with your setup.

• @Pacemaker1000 said:

@Korakios said:

@Pacemaker1000 said:

@Pacemaker1000 said:

You need to understand how a device's routing works. If the aux in signal gets sent out through the USB audio, you have created a feedback loop. So, you need to do a test to see if that is the case.

Do this:

• Send some audio NOT FROM YOUR IOS DEVICE to the aux in
    • Connect your amp via the CCK as you have been
    • Does the audio you plugged into the aux in show up on your iPad/iPhone
  • edited March 2021

@uncledave said:

@Pacemaker1000 said:
    Was referring there to iPad headphones output which is good when connected to everything apart from the amp aux in

No, I think the amp aux input is before the digitizer, so its signal is present in the USB input to the amp sim in your iPad. Since the iPad audio output is feeding the amp aux input through the headphone jack, you're creating a feedback loop. You can easily verify this by feeding the aux input from a different source, and confirm that the signal reaches the iPad amp sim.

You mention a different amp, "Spark", for which this works. But that has nothing to do with your setup.

Many thanks 👏
    I’d never have thought it as most amps aux in go directly to the power amp not pre amp.
    Played music and sure enough can see it on Bias Fx input.
    Tried my Spider amp and no such problem.
    Should have realised it when I complained the amp equaliser effects guitar and audio streaming.
    Annoyingly I returned a Spark amp as the aux in was faulty and went with fender for better reliability 😡
    Cheers
    Alan

Ps as I’ve got your ear...
    Does audiobus have an equaliser or an add on? And is it global or individual?
    I have a workaround to just use the fender as monitor but they’re a bit bassy

• edited March 2021

@Pacemaker1000 said
    Does audiobus have an equaliser or an add on? And is it global or individual?
    I have a workaround to just use the fender as monitor but they’re a bit bassy

Audiobus itself has no components; it's just a carrier. However, there are lots of AUv3 eqs in the AppStore. It depends how sophisticated you want to get. They would be applied to a specific channel, since AB has no "master" channel. ChannelEQ is a nice 3-band unit, and the price is right! LRC5 and 6144 are progressively more sophisticated. Packages like iFXRack and NuRack also include eq, along with much else. But can't you use the eq in your amp sim?

• I have a number of amp sims so would rather have a global EQ. It’s the amp speakers that are the weak point. Plus when I through headphones I’d rather have just one thing to change or turn off.
    Audiobus is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut for me but I don’t see any simpler alternatives

• @Pacemaker1000 said:
    I have a number of amp sims so would rather have a global EQ. It’s the amp speakers that are the weak point. Plus when I through headphones I’d rather have just one thing to change or turn off.
    Audiobus is like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut for me but I don’t see any simpler alternatives

The question will be whether for this use AUM or Audiobus is set up to best suit your needs. Audiobus has the advantage of directness and having a bunch of routing functions -- being the glue between IAA apps -- that some of us find essential even when using AUM. But its mixer architecture is limited. You have insert effects and no master bus. AUM, on the other hand, has a highly configurable that lets you do busses.

• I prefer the look of audiobus and it seems to support more apps. Although it’s cheaper I’d need to add at least mixit and possibly an equaliser if I’m correct.
    AUM seems to be all inclusive, especially the master volume. Does this include an equaliser?
    Thanks for your help

• @Pacemaker1000 said:
    I prefer the look of audiobus and it seems to support more apps. Although it’s cheaper I’d need to add at least mixit and possibly an equaliser if I’m correct.
    AUM seems to be all inclusive, especially the master volume. Does this include an equaliser?
    Thanks for your help

AUM has a single-band parametric, high-pass, low-pass, high-shelf, low-shelf and two All-Pass filters.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Pacemaker1000 said:
    I prefer the look of audiobus and it seems to support more apps. Although it’s cheaper I’d need to add at least mixit and possibly an equaliser if I’m correct.
    Thanks for your help

AUM has a single-band parametric, high-pass, low-pass, high-shelf, low-shelf and two All-Pass filters.

Wow! That’s double Dutch to me..lol
    I assume that means I can tweak the bass and treble 😀
    Do the app icons appear in the sliders

• @Pacemaker1000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Pacemaker1000 said:
    Thanks for your help

Wow! That’s double Dutch to me..lol
    I assume that means I can tweak the bass and treble 😀
    Do the app icons appear in the sliders

I'd suggest taking a look at some of the many reviews or YouTube videos about AUM. You will also find wealth of information by searching the archives here.

• edited March 2021

If the amp has usb interface shouldn’t that route simply work ?
    Guitar to amp input , usb audio from amp to cck, iOS app and ready

• @Korakios said:

Yes that does work!
    But the intention then was to use the power amp portion of the amp to monitor the tones through the Aux in. However, as worked out by uncle Dave, unlike most other amps, on the Mustang the aux in connects to the preamp sending the tone back to the usb out creating a feedback loop. Shame as that would have made it an ideal interface and stereo monitor combined unit.
    It now requires separate monitors ☹️

• @Pacemaker1000 said:

@Korakios said:

Yes that does work!
    But the intention then was to use the power amp portion of the amp to monitor the tones

Sorry ,again I don't understand

If you use Guitar to amp input , usb audio from amp to cck, iOS FX , you can't hear both the Mustang built in effect and iOS effects ?

• @Korakios said:

@Pacemaker1000 said:

@Korakios said:

Yes that does work!
    But the intention then was to use the power amp portion of the amp to monitor the tones

If you use Guitar to amp input , usb audio from amp to cck, iOS FX , you can't hear both the Mustang built in effect and iOS effects ?

He wants to bring the iOS output back to his amp and hear it from the amp’s speakers. The issues is that the auxiliary audio in (unlike on some amps) gets sent as part of the USB audio. On some amps, the auxiliary in doesn’t get sent out through the USB and so doesn’t cause a feedback loop.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Korakios said:

@Pacemaker1000 said:

@Korakios said:

Yes that does work!

He wants to bring the iOS output back to his amp and hear it from the amp’s speakers. The issues is that the auxiliary audio in (unlike on some amps) gets sent as part of the USB audio. On some amps, the auxiliary in doesn’t get sent out through the USB and so doesn’t cause a feedback loop.

The iOS output is carried thru the usb audio interface that the Mustang amp already has.
    No need for AUX in.
    Am I wrong ?!

• @Korakios said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Korakios said:

@Pacemaker1000 said:

@Korakios said:

Yes that does work!

The iOS output is carried thru the usb audio interface that the Mustang amp already has.
    No need for AUX in.
    Am I wrong ?!

I believe you are wrong. The Mustang amp USB interface is output only. The manual says it is for "recording". It doesn't receive audio for playback through the amp speaker.

• @uncledave said:

@Korakios said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Korakios said:

@Pacemaker1000 said:

@Korakios said:

Yes that does work!

No need for AUX in.
    Am I wrong ?!

I believe you are wrong. The Mustang amp USB interface is output only. The manual says it is for "recording". It doesn't receive audio for playback through the amp speaker.