Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM on iOS 14.4 seems broken... Anyone else?

Sigh... on my air 3rd gen and iOS 14.4, since that update at least, AUM has been horrible...

I’ll open AUM, load/restore project and like 3 minutes later dsp goes to 500%+, iPad gets super sluggish and often will just hard crash! Entire iPad killed by AUM.

However, if it survives this dsp/cpu spike, it will be just fine until next startup.

Can’t figure out if it’s a bad AU, an issue with AUM, ETC... There doesn’t seem to be a way to see what apps/au’s are consuming dsp/cpu...

Any hints on figuring out what’s up? This was rock solid until 14.4 iOS update and this is killin me...

Comments

• I am on iOS 14.4 (iPad Pro) and no issues that I am aware of. AUM works very well (though I rarely have more than 5 instruments running, plus a couple of effects per instrument). My only issue is loading Beatmaker 3 as an interapp audio (it just wont), but I don't think that has anything to do with performance issues.
    So I suppose the problem is not related to the update and AUM... What happens if you have many apps opened (e.g. not related to music) at the same time? Do you also get performance issues?

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    Sigh... on my air 3rd gen and iOS 14.4, since that update at least, AUM has been horrible...

I’ll open AUM, load/restore project and like 3 minutes later dsp goes to 500%+, iPad gets super sluggish and often will just hard crash! Entire iPad killed by AUM.

However, if it survives this dsp/cpu spike, it will be just fine until next startup.

Can’t figure out if it’s a bad AU, an issue with AUM, ETC... There doesn’t seem to be a way to see what apps/au’s are consuming dsp/cpu...

Any hints on figuring out what’s up? This was rock solid until 14.4 iOS update and this is killin me...

Is it better after a power-off device restart? There might be some other app grabbing memory or CPU.

• I have had and still have the same issue BUT it got better after update 14.4 so that's a bit strange. I'm also on an Air 3.

• wimwim
    edited March 2021

@cfour said:
    My only issue is loading Beatmaker 3 as an interapp audio (it just wont) ...

Have you tried starting BM3 first, before you start AUM, then adding it to AUM?

• Restart etc doesn’t seem to matter...

It’s weird that the crunch happens about 3 min after loading a session in AUM... it s like one of the apps, or AUM or something is trying to index a db or something... because if it survives the crunch it doesn’t happen again...

If it’s going to keep going this recent direction where every iOS update causes something to break, might as well just use a laptop... the whole point of iPad was brainless just-worksism...

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    Restart etc doesn’t seem to matter...

It’s weird that the crunch happens about 3 min after loading a session in AUM... it s like one of the apps, or AUM or something is trying to index a db or something... because if it survives the crunch it doesn’t happen again...

If it’s going to keep going this recent direction where every iOS update causes something to break, might as well just use a laptop... the whole point of iPad was brainless just-worksism...

Agreed. IOS updates are becoming a complete pain in the ass.

• wimwim
    edited March 2021

@MonkeyDrummer said:
    Restart etc doesn’t seem to matter...

I assume there's nothing changed in the apps you're using since updating from 14.4? Even something seemingly insignificant, such as changing to a new AudioLayer instrument might possibly be a cause.

The reason I say this is it sounds as though something might be doing a massive transfer from disk to ram shortly into your jam. Such things could be caused by a very large amount of audio being loaded into ram, unusually high memory usage causing ram to be swapped to disk, background apps being suspended to free up ram or processor usage, etc. Such things might be caused by an iOS update, but also could have many, many other causes.

Sorry for the distraction if none of this applies in your case. I just like to encourage people not to necessarily jump to conclusions about the cause of something just because it started around the same time as something else.

• Is AudioLayer involved? I ask because I’ve seen similar challenges since the last AL update, although the symptoms vary a bit from yours. Still, enough resemblance that is worth asking.

• @Gavinski said:

Still on 13.7, Cubasis 2, iPad Air 3, and the AUv3 problems haven't happened once. But Apple can't figure it out.

• @musikeer said:

@Gavinski said:

Still on 13.7, Cubasis 2, iPad Air 3, and the AUv3 problems haven't happened once. But Apple can't figure it out.

I'm on 13.7 and I have still been getting some missing auv3s in aum for months and months. Hasn't happened in a few weeks, but that may also because I have been using my ipad less than normal

• @Gavinski said:

@musikeer said:

@Gavinski said:

I'm on 13.7 and I have still been getting some missing auv3s in aum for months and months. Hasn't happened in a few weeks, but that may also because I have been using my ipad less than normal

Icons missing or not finding the AUs? FWIW, I am on 13.7 and haven’t experienced AWOL AUv3s.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

@musikeer said:

@Gavinski said:

Icons missing or not finding the AUs? FWIW, I am on 13.7 and haven’t experienced AWOL AUv3s.

Yeh, weird. I don't recall reading any other reports of missing AUv3's on anything but iOS 14.

• No AUs can be loaded, they don't appear in the lists of apps that can be loaded in aum

• @Gavinski said:
    No AUs can be loaded, they don't appear in the lists of apps that can be loaded in aum

That's pretty unusual. I don't think I have heard of that happening with 13.7. I wonder if it could be related to the number of AUs installed. How often does it happen?

• edited March 2021

I get awol AUs once or twice a week on 14.4. A reboot restores them. Update time is now a time of fear, wondering what it will break next.

I have a lot of apps, and the biggest problem I have now is that I seem to have exceeded my iPads capacity to display them on the desktop. If I can’t remember the name, I can’t pick them by icon, but have to scroll through the whole list in AUM until I spot them that way.

Just one more incident in the love/hate abusive relationship which is my attempts to make music on this wonderful, maddening device.

So much could have been mitigated if Apple allowed us to locally store apps offline like they used to, but as it is I have a growing collection of zombie apps which live only on this one iPad, and will die forever if/when it suffers a bad enough crash...

• @Svetlovska said:
    I get awol AUs once or twice a week on 14.4. A reboot restores them. Update time is now a time of fear, wondering what it will break next.

I have a lot of apps, and the biggest problem I have now is that I seem to have exceeded my iPads capacity to display them on the desktop. If I can’t remember the name, I can’t pick them by icon, but have to scroll through the whole list in AUM until I spot them that way.

Just one more incident in the love/hate abusive relationship which is my attempts to make music on this wonderful, maddening device.

So much could have been mitigated if Apple allowed us to locally store apps offline like they used to, but as it is I have a growing collection of zombie apps which live only on this one iPad, and will die forever if/when it suffers a bad enough crash...

Remember that in aum you can search for apps by name. No need to scroll. Also, the running out of space for app icons thing is easy to solve. You just have to put some apps into folders, that will free space.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/move-and-organize-apps-iph822ece7dd/ios&ved=2ahUKEwjo39qL_JDvAhXY854KHZKTAYsQFjABegQIAhAF&usg=AOvVaw16-lRvgbWFXxVAiFP5cJ9-

• @wim said:
    Yeh, weird. I don't recall reading any other reports of missing AUv3's on anything but iOS 14.

Happend once or twice on my IOS 13.6 iPad Pro, i have about 250 AUv3s installed. That bug wasn‘t invented with IOS 14 :)

The weird heavy cpu activity @MonkeyDrummer is experiencing three minutes after reloading a session in AUM is quite weird, what plugins are involded ?

I first suspect (like @wim) that one or several of them are trying to load stuff - but 3 mins after „session load“ seems a bit late for such a task.

You could try to save several copys of that session (if you one managed to sucessfully load it) where you more and more reduce the number of plugins involded just for debugging purpose.
    Perhaps note down which were removed for each of the copies and then try to reload these ‚slimmed down‘ sessions to check if the splike still happens.
    If you the find the first session where the bug no longer occurs, look which AUve were removed from the previous check.
    Now try a new ‚slim down’ debugging run starting from the full session were you try to remove the AUv3s in a backwards order, to check if the problem arises from just the last ones removed or if there are dependancies between several AUv3.

Boring and it seems like work ? Yep, that’s debugging ;) But then you‘ll might know what causes the problem and could just use an alternative AUv3 and happly make music again .

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:
    No AUs can be loaded, they don't appear in the lists of apps that can be loaded in aum

That's pretty unusual. I don't think I have heard of that happening with 13.7. I wonder if it could be related to the number of AUs installed. How often does it happen?

Has happened a lot. If I had to guess I would say it has happened ten to twenty times over the past few months.

• @Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

Has happened a lot. If I had to guess I would say it has happened ten to twenty times over the past few months.

What actions precede it’s happening?

Do you tend to reboot frequently (for instance daily) or rarely?

Do you have a lot of apps and AUs that you don’t use at all? I wonder if the number of AUs or a corrupt AU is resulting in some issue when the OS scans for the available AUs.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

No idea, no obvious pattern

Rarely

Do you have a lot of apps and AUs that you don’t use at all? I wonder if the number of AUs or a corrupt AU is resulting in some issue when the OS scans for the available AUs.

For sure I do, tons of them

• wimwim
    edited March 2021

I'm a habitual memory-resetter after every music session. I'm convinced this is why I experience so many fewer audio app problems than others seem to, and also why I rarely have to resort to a reboot.

• @Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

No idea, no obvious pattern

Rarely

For sure I do, tons of them

Try getting in the habit of shutting down (not just sleeping) and powering back up daily.

• Will do, cheers guys

• No issues here iPad 6 iOS 14.4

@wim said:
    I'm a habitual memory-resetter after every music session. I'm convinced this is why I experience so many fewer audio app problems than others seem to, and also why I rarely have to resort to a reboot.

Same here.

• edited March 2021

@Gavinski : thanks, yes I know I can search by name... if I can remember the name! :)

First World Problem and all that, but the whole issue is that I have so many apps now that I think “oh, I know what this piece needs, that great industrial clangs and bangs generator, now what was it called...?” (Giant Isopod, another sad zombie app now) - so the only way to remember is to scroll through the whole list till I see the name.

Ditto with using folders. Trouble is, every time I end up having to reboot or restore or update the iPad for some reason, all the folder storage goes to cock, and I have to spend hours straightening it all out again. All I want, ideally, is each app, with it’s easy to recognise icon, arranged in alphabetical order on the main iPad screens. And no limit to those screens. Is that too much to ask? (Yes, apparently.... )

• Agreed! I have no idea why they limit this

@Svetlovska said:
    @Gavinski : thanks, yes I know I can search by name... if I can remember the name! :)

First World Problem and all that, but the whole issue is that I have so many apps now that I think “oh, I know what this piece needs, that great industrial clangs and bangs generator, now what was it called...?” (Giant Isopod, another sad zombie app now) - so the only way to remember is to scroll through the whole list till I see the name.

Ditto with using folders. Trouble is, every time I end up having to reboot or restore or update the iPad for some reason, all the folder storage goes to cock, and I have to spend hours straightening it all out again. All I want, ideally, is each app, with it’s easy to recognise icon, arranged in alphabetical order on the main iPad screens. And no limit to those screens. Is that too much to ask? (Yes, apparently.... )

• @wim said:

@cfour said:
    My only issue is loading Beatmaker 3 as an interapp audio (it just wont) ...

Have you tried starting BM3 first, before you start AUM, then adding it to AUM?

That did the trick! Thank you! :)

• I just updated this morning to IOS14.4.2, on my iPhone and I am also having issues with AUM and midiguitar2. Still trying to figure out what’s going on….

• @unruleysaxon said:
    I just updated this morning to IOS14.4.2, on my iPhone and I am also having issues with AUM and midiguitar2. Still trying to figure out what’s going on….

What problem? Do you have the buffer set correctly? MG2 needs a buffer of 256 or less

• Not sure, The buffer is on 256. It was working fine before the update. Loaded up Bismark bs16i. It worked for a minute or so than stopped. I started over and loaded up Animoog z, the IRig pro duo is getting signal, but no audio?