Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best new synth apps?

Any good synth apps released in the last year or two?

I’ve been away from iPad music making for a while, I think the last synth I bought was the Moog Model D app.

Comments

• A subjective pretty topic...
    ...don't know what apps are already in the arsenal.

But these three are quite nice and nice to tweak and not too heavy on the CPU.

https://icegear.net/lagrange/
    https://www.bleass.com/bleass-alpha-synthesizer/
    https://nikolozi.com/mela

• @Samu said:
    A subjective pretty topic...
    ...don't know what apps are already in the arsenal.

But these three are quite nice and nice to tweak and not too heavy on the CPU.

https://icegear.net/lagrange/
    https://www.bleass.com/bleass-alpha-synthesizer/
    https://nikolozi.com/mela

Thanks @Samu ! Mela sounds pretty good!

I guess it’s not just limited to synths but any good sound making apps.

Some of my all time favorites are Zeeon, Layr, Model D, Rippelmaker, Samplr, Ruismaker FM, Borderlands, Patterning, Gadget, Spacecraft. I just picked up Ruismaker Noir, Drambo and Model 15 (I was missing out).

I saw that Bram Bos has one called Mononoke, is it any good?

I guess I could start going through @thesoundtestroom Youtube backlog.

• Agonizer is cool if you are into crazy bass synth

• @Keenan said:

I guess it’s not just limited to synths but any good sound making apps.

Some of my all time favorites are Zeeon, Layr, Model D, Rippelmaker, Samplr, Ruismaker FM, Borderlands, Patterning, Gadget, Spacecraft. I just picked up Ruismaker Noir, Drambo and Model 15 (I was missing out).

That should keep you busy for a while. The Drambo WaveTable IAP is a worthy addition as well in case you missed it ;)

TAL-UN-O-LX and OB-XD are also worthy candidates.

Others (in case you don't have them) are Poison 202, KQ Dixie and Squaresynth 2.

I don't personally own Sugarbytes Factory, Aparillo or Drum Computer but they tick a few boxes.

For a high quality ROMpler (No sample import though) Puresynth 2 is quite nice (don't have space for it on my iPad).

• Do you like Presets or doing your own Sound Design?

I like Audio Damage’s Continua, virsyn synths and auger bytes Factory or Aparillo.

For Sound Design it’s Drambo or MiRacks modulars.

Anything @SpiderIceMidas makes Presets for is worth checking out. He makes presets that morph and shares for free.

• And well, if there's a slightest interest in sampling Koala with the Samurai IAP is something to take a look at.

• @McD said:
    Do you like Presets or doing your own Sound Design?

I like Audio Damage’s Continua, virsyn synths and auger bytes Factory or Aparillo.

For Sound Design it’s Drambo or MiRacks modulars.

Anything @SpiderIceMidas makes Presets for is worth checking out. He makes presets that morph and shares for free.

Definitely prefer patching my own stuff over presets. I remember when @Spidericemidas started sharing presets, his stuff is great. I also always loved @brice presets. I actually made a bank for Zeeon back in the day when I was first getting into synths.

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll check em out!

• @Samu said:
    And well, if there's a slightest interest in sampling Koala with the Samurai IAP is something to take a look at.

Thanks for the list of suggestions, I have quite a lot to dig through now.

Yeah I see a huge amount of posts about Koala, it seems like it has all the features people have been wanting in a sampling app. It might have some good sound design capabilities.

I just saw @thesountestroom using a new FAC app called FAC Alteza.. is it like a mobile version of Valhalla Shimmer? Coz that would be worth it!

• @Keenan said:

@Samu said:
    And well, if there's a slightest interest in sampling Koala with the Samurai IAP is something to take a look at.

Yeah I see a huge amount of posts about Koala, it seems like it has all the features people have been wanting in a sampling app. It might have some good sound design capabilities.

I just saw @thesountestroom using a new FAC app called FAC Alteza.. is it like a mobile version of Valhalla Shimmer? Coz that would be worth it!

Alteza is fantastic. All of the FAC apps are. Another app worth a look is Virsyn Addstation, an additive monster.

• @Keenan said:

All the FAC apps are worth it. Same goes for the Eventide effects.
    Toneboosters have also released a bunch of effects and the Bleass effects are quite popular as well.

Imaginandos DRC & FRMS are sound design gems but pretty heavy on the CPU...

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@Keenan said:

@Samu said:

Alteza is fantastic. All of the FAC apps are. Another app worth a look is Virsyn Addstation, an additive monster.

Cool that’ll be my next FX purchase!!

My first synth app ever was actually Virsyn’s Addictive Pro, I spent hours noodling around discovering sounds. I will say that for some reason I don’t really like the sounds that come out of Virsyn’s synths.. I don’t know if it’s because they’re so cold sounding? Probably just a me problem.

• @Samu said:

@Keenan said:

Toneboosters have also released a bunch of effects and the Bleass effects are quite popular as well.

Great list! Thanks so much! Yeah I am lacking in the FX department.. I just realized I don’t even have an AUv3 delay app.

Ouch the Eventide FX are quite pricey.

• @Keenan said:

@Samu said:

@Keenan said:

Great list! Thanks so much! Yeah I am lacking in the FX department.. I just realized I don’t even have an AUv3 delay app.

If you want to get creative with AUv3 delays may I suggest TTAP and Delayrium / RealDelayrium?

• +1 for FRMS
    And for fx.... Gauss and yaleD

• I’m still having a blast with the now classic Poison-202...

• @Keenan said:

@Samu said:

@Keenan said:

Unfortunately you’ve missed an Eventide 50% off sale at the end of January - another 33% sale at least will come around at some point. Likelihood of sales does vary by developer, can be checked on appsliced.co.

• Don’t know it this qualify.. but SynthMaster player is my Go To...

• Got sent a new beta of an existing synth app this morning its now the Mk2 version and it sounds fab! So definitely worth holding out for.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Got sent a new beta of an existing synth app this morning its now the Mk2 version and it sounds fab! So definitely worth holding out for.

Hmmm, now what app could that be? :D

Personally I hope TAL-UN-O-LX gets the reverb and delay and improved preset management that were added to the desktop version.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Got sent a new beta of an existing synth app this morning its now the Mk2 version and it sounds fab! So definitely worth holding out for.

Zeeon 2 perhaps? XD

• @RajahP said:
    Don’t know it this qualify.. but SynthMaster player is my Go To...

I’ve had that for a long time but haven’t used it in ages. Thanks for the reminder.