Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Drum-machines, sigh.

edited February 2021 in Other

Here we go. Hi, all! Hope you’re all feeling well and creative :)
I am in need of a drum-machine, and as I do enjoy an ipad/dawless jam from time to time, a hardware one is needed. My volca sample is neat (cute) and all, but this time around, it has to be more capable when coming to user-preset, pattern-length, effects, memory, etc. Something more flexible all in all.
Can’t be too expensive though.
I’ve laid my eyes on the Elektron Model:Samles and Model:Cycles and Roland TR-6S. Can’t seem to make up my mind here. They all have really nice stuff going inside, elektrons have a sequencer that seem soo cool with conditionals and randomization posibilites to die for, and free recording!!, and on the other hand: Rolands synthesized drums seem beautiful. And there is fm stuff also! I love the thought of the Cycles, not having to find samples, record perhaps, editing them, transferring - I know I could make it sound like ANYTHING, but it certainly can be tiring and creativity-stopping, at least for me. The immediacy of fm synths for everything intrigues me. But would it all sound samey after a couple of days using the Cycles?
If anyone in here have experience with these machines, one or all, I would love to hear you out. Any advice means a lot. Am I missing some other nice alternatives? Feel free to make comparisons with iOS drum apps, I have used most of them and love to discuss them too. Of course, hey - here we are! :)
Big thanks, if you have any recommendations (or warnings), and also for reading through this long-ass post!
Sincerely,
Simon Redegard

Comments

• I have the Model Cycles and I love it. Would not trade it for anything, except maybe a Model Samples lol.

I would say that getting very different sounds out of the M:C is a bit of work. I picked up the Tensor app though and it’s helped. If you have a good collection of samples, Model Samples might make more sense. I think it kinda depends on what you write.

Can definitely get lost in the M:C, it’s the most fun I’ve had since my Electribe EM-1. I miss that box. It’s probably nostalgia speaking. But yeah- I think either the M:C or M:S is a good buy. Also, they are both class compliant via USB and hook up to iPhone / iPad so very nicely.

• I’m gonna say go Digitakt or Octatrack MKI (it’s cheaper than the MKII). Both of them are a ton of fun, super deep and flexible, and can be relatively quick to use after the initial learning period. Plus, you can sequence your iPad with them via midi, and the Digitakt can actually act as an interface for your iPad.

• For lofi on ipad. Elastic drums polyrythms sampled to drambo.

Drambo for better sound quality but elektrons are cool and theres a korg drumlogue soon.

Not mega bothered by drums anymore myself but know I can make a beat when needed.

• Drambos seem to sync well via link but only tested via phone and ipad speakers. You wouldnt need another ipad. Infact drambo makes you not need much midi controllers but with another you could have a whole screen for Drambo drums/elastic drums. Plus drambo updates. The wavetable synths plus everything drambo can do is worth getting on the drambo wagon.

• Here, I’ve bought and sold a few, ended up with the Model:cycles, TR8S, and EMU Mo’Phat(keyboard). The M:C and Mo’ pair extremely well, they both are capable of deep MIDI channel settings and sound wise layer nicely. The TR is a machine that you can build a whole set with and get carried away at the same time.
    It’s hard to recommend a single thing to handle your drum sound, especially if it’s a budget box. In my experience, the limited features of these devices also limits the way we interact with them and in turn, the pallet of sound can become uninteresting after HOURS of 16 (er, whatever) bar loops.
    It’s probably best to decide on a sound or style of drum you love, and aim for the path that delivers you to drum heaven, even if you end up buying a real kit!

• I know it is hardware you want, and it is only IAA but Patterning 2 plays nice in AUM, through it’s library offers an near limitless collection of free kits for every need, you can easily make your own, and it also makes an excellent sequencer.

• edited March 2021

I have the Digitakt, it’s a lot of fun and sounds great. I don’t know what it is but the same sample sounds better on the Digitakt, it adds some nice grit.
    The hands-on control, the knobs, display... it’s just fantastic. The way you can tweak a loop point with the knobs to get some awesome glitching is extremely creative.
    It’s great. BUT... Sadly I hardly use it lately.
    There’s 2 things that really bother me to the point of “nah, I’ll pass this time” and go to Drambo instead.
    1) Choosing sounds is tedious. The sample pool is weird, the library is tedious... and you can’t save kits. That’s huge. You need to stablish some workarounds to start from a kit (empty project) but you can’t change kits after you have a sequence going, and going through individual sounds takes some time. On the upside you just deal with it, choose the third snare sample that’s good enough and tweak the hell out of it.
    2) It’s class compliant after the last update. So it acts as an audio interface. Great!. BUT you can’t access the jack inputs!. That’s a huuuge omission. It’s got these nice jack inputs that you can use to sample, but you can’t access them on the iPad. Why does this matter?. If you’re going to record instruments or external gear you still need an audio interface. And you have to disconnect the Digitakt, plug the outputs into the other interface, etc... not huge if you have a “proper” setup, but for me the iPad is about the sofa experience. If I could use the Digitakt as an audio interface where I could plug my bass and record on top of the beat I’m making the experience would be 1000% better.
    Model Cycles doesn’t even have audio inputs, so you can’t sample into it. The sampling feature on the Digitakt is loads of fun, I wouldn’t give that up.
    Hope it helps.

• Thanks guys. Lots to consider here. The hunt goes on ... ;)

• I have not yet owned a true hardware drum machine, so I’m looking at the Behringer RD 9. I do think there’s something to be said about having a controller through which your fingers gain muscle memory and you make it your instrument.

I also have in an Akai MPD218, part of me wants to focus on that and find out which software is best for a good drum machine instrument.

My two cents, Joe

• edited February 2022

You could always pick up an old Roland R-8 on Reverb or eBay. This is a great unit. Still own mine.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=roland r8

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311&_nkw=roland+r8+drum+machine&_sacat=0

Or for about $160 you could get a new Alesis SR-16 (or spend a little more and get their newer SR-18):

https://www.alesis.com/products/legacy/sr-16

• As much as I love the r8's, if I wanted someone to never wanna try another drum machine again, I'd give them an r8 as their 1st device.
    That thing is a legit programming nightmare for beginners.

• edited February 2022

Or a > @AlmostAnonymous said:

As much as I love the r8's, if I wanted someone to never wanna try another drum machine again, I'd give them an r8 as their 1st device.
    That thing is a legit programming nightmare for beginners.

In my case, I used it as a trigger. Creating patterns (especially any with an odd time signature) using a standalone drum machine is an exercise in madness. In addition, the R-8 has some of the best drum pads I've ever used on a drum machine.

• I just restored a Yamaha RX11 and a Korg DDD-1 they are both fun to program and intuitive to use. I also have a Roland TR-8 that has my favorite sounds but it lacks individual outs (the max is 4) and no song mode. These older drum machines can be had for much lower than original retail price they sound good and most of the time just need a cleaning and internal battery replacement

• I regret to have sold my DDD1 some years ago... the pads were clacky as castagnets, but they were velocity sensitive :'(

• The Model Samples and Cycles have been on my short list forever but I haven’t had the chance to try them yet. But, they do lack things that dedicated drum machines have. Like faders for each part, decay, pitch, tuning, etc for each sound. So if you specifically want a drum machine the Roland would probably work better. Plus having the FM section means you can touch on SOME of what the Cycles can do. You can even load your own samples, so you’d get the best of both worlds.

• Teenage Engineering’s OP-Z is an amazing drum machine. It does most of what the Digitakt can, plus synths. The sequencer is also much better IMO. It has better controls for probability and morphing the sequence.

For instance, on the Elektrons you can have a kick hit every second time around. The OP-Z also lets you put conditionals on the effects, so you could have the reverb, or pitch shift, happen every three cycles.

I love mine.

• @mistercharlie said:
    Teenage Engineering’s OP-Z is an amazing drum machine. It does most of what the Digitakt can, plus synths. The sequencer is also much better IMO. It has better controls for probability and morphing the sequence.

For instance, on the Elektrons you can have a kick hit every second time around. The OP-Z also lets you put conditionals on the effects, so you could have the reverb, or pitch shift, happen every three cycles.

I love mine.

I have (and love) an OP-1 but I’m really considering getting an op-z to pair with it. An iPad/iPhone, OP-1, and OP-Z would be a hell of a trio.

• If I had to recommend one single drum machine today, it would be Sugar Bytes Drumcomputer.
    I would even prefer it over the Digitakt because it has a great drum synth engine on top of sample import.

Drambo can do it too but it requires a fair amount of drum synthesis knowledge and dedication to build something like the above.

• @HotStrange said:

@mistercharlie said:
    Teenage Engineering’s OP-Z is an amazing drum machine. It does most of what the Digitakt can, plus synths. The sequencer is also much better IMO. It has better controls for probability and morphing the sequence.

I love mine.

I have (and love) an OP-1 but I’m really considering getting an op-z to pair with it. An iPad/iPhone, OP-1, and OP-Z would be a hell of a trio.

It pairs well with the OP-1. You can use the Z to sequence the 1’s sounds, and record them to its tape. I also use it to sequence Ableton, which is an amazing combo.

• @rs2000 said:
    If I had to recommend one single drum machine today, it would be Sugar Bytes Drumcomputer.
    I would even prefer it over the Digitakt because it has a great drum synth engine on top of sample import.

Drambo can do it too but it requires a fair amount of drum synthesis knowledge and dedication to build something like the above.

If we’re talking iPad only, it’s real hard to do better than Drum Computer. Also if you want the Digitakt look and feel, there’s Ton which is easy to use and tons of fun (no pun intended.)

• @mistercharlie said:

@HotStrange said:

@mistercharlie said:

I love mine.

It pairs well with the OP-1. You can use the Z to sequence the 1’s sounds, and record them to its tape. I also use it to sequence Ableton, which is an amazing combo.

I don’t have a desktop/laptop anymore but I do like the idea of using its sequencer to control the op-1, or any other apps. Plus the integration with the iPad is pretty cool, imo. I saw a 3 tier stand a while back with an iPad on top, op-z in the middle, and op-1 on the bottom and I can’t get it outta my head haha. Seems like it would be a blast.

• Thanks for lots of insightful help. I got a cycle, gone now, got a tr6s, still have it. Not too fond of it - but it stays for now. Have the mc101 if more tracks are needed. Bring some more stuff from my mpc if needed, drum-wise. Sometimes I wish I got something else, sometimes not.

• Well in that case, the "free to try" concept of Drumcomputer is a good match 😊

• Another vote for OP-Z, that sequencer is amazing for drum work. Step Components can do SOOOO much to add variation, on purpose or not.

• @HotStrange said:

I saw a 3 tier stand a while back with an iPad on top, op-z in the middle, and op-1 on the bottom and I can’t get it outta my head haha. Seems like it would be a blast.

Do you remember where you saw that? I’ve been wondering about such a stand recently. I’d love to see it!

• https://www.shapeways.com/product/8EJ7RQD86/op-1-triple-stand-1-2

Where's Tipper Gore when you need her? She would never allow such filth....

• @AlmostAnonymous said:
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/8EJ7RQD86/op-1-triple-stand-1-2

Where's Tipper Gore when you need her? She would never allow such filth....

H-O-T

• @rs2000 said:
    If I had to recommend one single drum machine today, it would be Sugar Bytes Drumcomputer.

Agreed.

I actually tried to replicate the synthesis in dRumComputer.
    It’s a beast of a dRambo instrument and I got good results
    but the synthesis is astounding in dRumComputer.
    Saying that, I’m going to try again this year. 🤩

• Hardware drum machines I still can't give up. I'm still baffled at the lack of drum/percussion synthesis apps like DC. I find myself cheating too much with DC. Just hit the rando button a bazillion times until it's close and clean it up. But then again..I kinda do the same thing with Mozaic scripts and my drum machines.

• Go the whole way get an MPC One, beast, or old school RD 6, 8 or 9 or Drumbrute.