Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

best audio midi interface for using iPad with desktop ?

I'm looking for recommendations for an interface that will allow me to easily go back and forth with audio and midi between my 2018 iPad Pro (USB-C) and my desktop computer (iMac). I had the perfect setup using the midi and audio-passthrough of my iConnectMIDI2+. I was using it as an aggregate device along side my Scarlett 2i2. Everything worked well and was easy but my iConnect is failing. Would really love to find a single USB-C unit with audio and midi that is as compatible with iPad and OSX. I only need 1 in and 1 out or 2 in and 2 out. I'll definitely check out iConnectivity's line up but am also interested to know of other possibly better solutions.

Thank you!

Greg

Comments

• Oof! This is tough. See if you can cure the iConnect, since there's no reason it should fail. Open it up, check for dirt (dust bunnies!), make sure all contacts are clean and bright.

I don't think there's any device that can offer the digital compatibility you have with iConnect. In particular, you'll have to use audio to send audio from iPad to Mac. So you may need more channels on your Scarlett, if you use those inputs for anything else. And you'll need to directly connect MIDI, using 5-pin cables. Let's see what other folks suggest, but I'd focus on extending the life of your iConnect, or hunting for a used replacement.

• @uncledave said:
    Oof! This is tough. See if you can cure the iConnect, since there's no reason it should fail. Open it up, check for dirt (dust bunnies!), make sure all contacts are clean and bright.

I don't think there's any device that can offer the digital compatibility you have with iConnect. In particular, you'll have to use audio to send audio from iPad to Mac. So you may need more channels on your Scarlett, if you use those inputs for anything else. And you'll need to directly connect MIDI, using 5-pin cables. Let's see what other folks suggest, but I'd focus on extending the life of your iConnect, or hunting for a used replacement.

I appreciate your input @uncledave ! Been looking online and finding nothing affordable (like arturia audiofuse or apogee symphony desktop). I've got a support ticket in with iConnectvity. But the problem is very strange. All of a sudden today, I started getting audio lag and crackling sounds. After hours of trying to troubleshoot, I realized that the iConnect seemed to be causing the problem. but it doesn't make sense cause I was using the Scarlett 2i2 part of the aggregate device. I wasn't even using the iConnect audio pass through. I've done everything I know including re-installing firmware, resetting, rebooting, re-creating aggregate device from scratch etc, etc... I've just assumed that the iConnect is failing and causing the aggregate device to become unstable like when you turn the sample rate block size down too far. Like it's cause the aggregate to use too many cycles or something.

• Turns out to be sample block size in Bitwig. All good now!

• @gkillmaster said:
    Turns out to be sample block size in Bitwig. All good now!

Great! Not failing, no need to replace.

• Good to hear

• @gkillmaster said:

Oh man. That's a good moment right there. Glad you had it!

• @syrupcore said:

@gkillmaster said:

Oh man. That's a good moment right there. Glad you had it!

Thank you! And yes, very relieved especially after spending a couple hours researching (unaffordable) alternatives!