Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Best iPad for younger artist?

My son is turning 15 soon, and has gotten in the habit of "borrowing" my iPad Pro and Apple Pencil daily to use apps like Procreate and Affinity Designer. Wondering if the latest (rev 8?) iPad with V1 Pencil would be enough to help him keep developing his drawing skills? Any input and insight welcome, thanks!

Comments

• edited February 2021

Oh yah I think so.

Rumour has it there may be new iPads out next month so it could be worth waiting until then to see.

• @daytwa said:
    My son is turning 15 soon, and has gotten in the habit of "borrowing" my iPad Pro and Apple Pencil daily to use apps like Procreate and Affinity Designer. Wondering if the latest (rev 8?) iPad with V1 Pencil would be enough to help him keep developing his drawing skills? Any input and insight welcome, thanks!

I think it would, but the Airs are incredible. No need for a pro.

He also might be interested in moviemaking and stop motion animation.

• One thing to consider is the display and digitizer response rate. Depending on which generation of iPad Pro you have, it could have the faster response. If it does, then the feel of the non-pro models' latency when doing art can be worse.

It's worth checking out in person if you can get some place that has both side-by-side to demo with pens. I have the first generation iPad Pro model that has the slower response time. I don't do art by any stretch, but I can feel the difference when I try out drawing on one of the newer pros. It feels more natural.

Plenty of people do really amazing art on the non-pro and older pro iPads though, so it's clearly not a deal breaker, but it is worth checking out.

• Appreciate all the insight and suggestions! I think a visit to a shop might be in order to make the final call.

• edited February 2021

@NeonSilicon said:
    One thing to consider is the display and digitizer response rate. Depending on which generation of iPad Pro you have, it could have the faster response. If it does, then the feel of the non-pro models' latency when doing art can be worse.

It's worth checking out in person if you can get some place that has both side-by-side to demo with pens. I have the first generation iPad Pro model that has the slower response time. I don't do art by any stretch, but I can feel the difference when I try out drawing on one of the newer pros. It feels more natural.

Plenty of people do really amazing art on the non-pro and older pro iPads though, so it's clearly not a deal breaker, but it is worth checking out.

I have a 2nd Gen iPad Pro, and with the 120Hz screen refresh there is a more natural responsiveness when drawing. Although the lag is more noticeable at 60Hz, it's still pretty snappy. I wonder if I hadn't seen the 120hz refresh in action if I would really notice the 60Hz response.

But I usually have "Force 60Hz refresh" setting actived as it saves a lot of battery esp in Adobe Fresco which is a bit of a battery gobbler, even on 60Hz.

• @daytwa said:
    Appreciate all the insight and suggestions! I think a visit to a shop might be in order to make the final call.

Keep in mind that, for example, in ProCreate the amount of Layers you can create/use is depending on the device/memory the device itself offers! When i was a beginner in drawing (well, i still am) i used to have loads of different layers because i was afraid to „destroy“ something or make „something wrong“. Maybe check the ProCreate site for detailed specs or information on that!