Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NEW: TH-U Overloud ‘67 Marshall Plexi

This sounds like the perfect match for @JoyceRoadStudios’ Gibson Black Beauty!!!

Hoping for some serious Gary Moore tone, my man!

Comments

• $26.99 for the iOS version...

• edited February 2021

@SNystrom I think I’ll get this rig on desktop for $30 so I can get it on iOS for $1. Just doesn’t make sense not to. I know Flo loves Plexi so I doubt he will resist. The demo on the site doesn’t actually sound that good, but I’ve noticed that most of their other rig demos with that particular guitar in the video don’t sound good. btw LRS Unchained rig (Live Ready Sound) is a really good Plexi clone rig, and that demo sounds great on the site. Still, Plexi by Choptones? Sign me up.

The 1967 JMP 50 is an updated JTM45 (Jimi’s favorite amp at the time), the tubes were switched from 6L6 to EL34s, and the tube rectifier was switched to solid state diode. This and other mods for the JMP were a defining moment for Marshall and the Plexi. One thing that interests me about this rig is that it comes with some profiles that use a Celestion G12H-30 which Jimi liked. So all in all there’s definitely some of that tone to be found there, and maybe just maybe 2 percent of that voodoo.

Apropos of Mr. Hendrix ( and Steve Miller, Joe Perry, Malmsteen, etc), I did something so stupid last night but I don’t care. I got a lefty SX Strat copy from goodwill for under $90 the other day, and I flipped into a righty! So like a reverse Hendrix. After cleaning up and polishing all frets and metal parts, I replaced the original lefty nut with a GraphTech Black Tusq righty, added Tusq string trees and some stainless steel saddles, and switched the white knobs and pickup covers from white to black. Beveled the frets too. She’s an upside down beauty, plays well too. It’s interesting having reverse tension on the strings due to headstock distance, and a reverse angled bridge pickup. The knobs and whammy bar don’t bother me, but the cable can be a real pain so it really should be 90 degree angled cable plugged in. All I have left to do is drill and switch the strap button to the other horn. Gonna try to sell maybe for $200 to someone who thinks it’s “cool”. These strat copies go for $160 new but this one is “cooler”.
    Any takers?🤑🤑

• Ahhhhhhh,

Just the response I fully expected of you! 😊

Really love that incredible red Strat copy!

Hoping you and @flo26 give this a serious go. Would be awesome to hear your thoughts on this one. There are a ton of presents, so I’m hopeful at least a few would work properly for me...

• I think it should be very similar to BRIT 1959 RR (whitch I prefer most among other Rig Libraries). At least in the 'real life' they're almost the same things.

• @Kranick said:
    I think it should be very similar to BRIT 1959 RR (whitch I prefer most among other Rig Libraries). At least in the 'real life' they're almost the same things.

Very good point @Kranick, after doing some more reading it seems that for all intents and purposes the Marshall 1987x is an unofficial “reissue” of a JMP, and I love the Brit1987 Rig, one of my faves. And the 1959 Randy Rhoads has two channels one of which is a stock JMP and the other is unique to the RR. Of course there have to be some differences between JMPs from ‘59, ‘67, and the mid ‘70s one which most people know, but it looks like you just saved me 30 bucks. btw I’ve always really wanted the Brit 1959 rig but it’s $50 on desktop and I want to start buying rigs as a desktop/iOS bundle from now on, so I’ll wait.

• @JoyceRoadStudios So are you buying the desktop rigs without the rig player to get the ios for a dollar? thinking you'll buy the rig player for desktop down the road?

• edited February 2021

@Bootsy said:
    @JoyceRoadStudios So are you buying the desktop rigs without the rig player to get the ios for a dollar? thinking you'll buy the rig player for desktop down the road?

Correct, the only way to actually get the Rig Player on desktop is to buy the desktop Full or one of the 3 bundles, rock, funk, or metal. The bundles are currently $80, but I have seen them on sale a few times for $49 and maybe even $39. So when the time comes I will buy the funk bundle for $49. Then the key is buying the desktop rigs at intro prices or sales for $19-$29, and iOS for the dollar. In that scheme, after say 10 rigs, the funk bundle pays for itself as a $5 upcharge (plus you get the bundle), and you have desktop and iOS rig. Future proofing as @audiobussy called it. It’s really only a good idea because often times the iOS rigs are the same price if not more than the desktop. And also multi device integration of your rigs.

• @JoyceRoadStudios said:

@Bootsy said:
    @JoyceRoadStudios So are you buying the desktop rigs without the rig player to get the ios for a dollar? thinking you'll buy the rig player for desktop down the road?

Correct, the only way to actually get the Rig Player on desktop is to buy the desktop Full or one of the 3 bundles, rock, funk, or metal. The bundles are currently $80, but I have seen them on sale a few times for $49 and maybe even $39. So when the time comes I will buy the funk bundle for $49. Then the key is buying the desktop rigs at intro prices or sales for $19-$29, and iOS for the dollar. In that scheme, after say 10 rigs, the funk bundle pays for itself as a $5 upcharge (plus you get the bundle), and you have desktop and iOS rig. Future proofing as @audiobussy called it. It’s really only a good idea because often times the iOS rigs are the same price if not more than the desktop. And also multi device integration of your rigs.

thanks, it does make sense except i already bought so many rigs on ios! would be nice to have some on the mac though for sure..

• I will surely buy this one but not now.

• edited February 2021

I have already purchased this one today on JRR and waiting for the code. I know that it have to be very close to BRIT 1959 RR (and Bogner Ecstasy 101B and Friedman BE50 and any other plexi clone on the market :D ) but I like Marshalls so can't resist :)

• edited February 2021

@Bootsy said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

@Bootsy said:

thanks, it does make sense except i already bought so many rigs on ios! would be nice to have some on the mac though for sure..

Yeah same, way too many just on iOS and not a single one desktop. But at this point it’s my reasoning not to buy any more. All the desktop ones are currently $30-$50, except the intro prices for the very new ones. So not worth it regardless. But when new ones come out at $19-$29 desktop intro, and they’re $18-$27 on iOS with no intro, and I want them, damn straight I’m double clicking that button. And sometimes it’s $19 desktop and $27 iOS, an actual no-brainer. So it’s a “from now on” thing for me. But if some faves of mine that I already have go on sale for $19 or $29, which they often do, I’ll get a few anyway. I recently walked into a nice Dell laptop from family.

I’m assuming you can’t buy a desktop rig and gift the ios code to someone else, is that correct @audiobussy ?

• @Kranick said:
    I have already purchased this one today on JRR and waiting for the code. I know that it have to be very close to BRIT 1959 RR (and Bogner Ecstasy 101B and Friedman BE50 and any other plexi clone on the market :D ) but I like Marshalls so can't resist :)

how long does it take to get the code?

• edited February 2021

Perhaps this is an opportune moment to list some “wish list” rigs! I need more boutiques and classics instead of modern metal amps. We should all collectively nag them...

• Divided by 13
    (pretty much half their lineup is on my wish list)

• Bad Cat Cub 40r

• Savage Rohr 15

• Brunetti SingleMan

• Rivera

• Carr Bloke

• Dr. Z Carmen Ghia or others

• Lil Dawg

• Dumble ODS (yeah right)

• Fender ‘62 Chris Stapleton Princeton
    (but only if the rig features the tremolo circuit)

• Randall

• Pedal emulations or pedals baked into rigs:
    Loverpedal Purple Plexi
    Fulltone OCD V2 or OCD Germanium
    Hermida Zendrive
    Klon Centaur (duh)

Anyone else???

• @Bootsy said:

@Kranick said:

how long does it take to get the code?

Overloud's license needs to be manually generated. So JRR usually send it out within a day. For example a '67 Marshall Plexi was sent to me yesterday 4 hours after purchase.

Perhaps this is an opportune moment to list some “wish list” rigs! I need more boutiques and classics instead of modern metal amps. We should all collectively nag them...

• Divided by 13

• Bad Cat Cub 40r

• Savage Rohr 15

• Brunetti SingleMan

• Rivera

• Carr Bloke

• Lil Dawg

• Randall

Loverpedal Purple Plexi
    Hermida Zendrive
    Klon Centaur (duh)

Anyone else???

Matchless?

Friedman?

Soldano?

• edited February 2021

Tell me something guys, I’ve never bought into this app, so I’m kind of confused. In the picture it has “167 Rigs” at the end there... what does that mean?

Edit: never mind I think I figured it out. Is that the total from a combination of mics, cabinets and pedals in various settings?

• @Intrepolicious said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

• Divided by 13

• Bad Cat Cub 40r

• Savage Rohr 15

• Brunetti SingleMan

• Rivera

• Carr Bloke

• Lil Dawg

• Randall

Loverpedal Purple Plexi
    Hermida Zendrive
    Klon Centaur (duh)

Anyone else???

Matchless?

Friedman?

Soldano?

Well, now that I’m looking, I see there’s already Soldano and Friedman rigs. No Matchless though!

• @Intrepolicious said:
    Tell me something guys, I’ve never bought into this app, so I’m kind of confused. In the picture it has “167 Rigs” at the end there... what does that mean?

Edit: never mind I think I figured it out. Is that the total from a combination of mics, cabinets and pedals in various settings?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/Overloud/Rig+Libs/Choptones+Brit+67Plexi/Choptones+Brit+67Plexi+Rig+List.pdf

• @Intrepolicious each “Rig” they sell is actually just based on a real life amp, like a Kemper, and each is a collection of profiles in different settings of the amp, with different mics and speakers etc... some of them have baked in overdrive or distortion pedals as listed in each rig pdf. But the “Rig Player” is just an amp face into which you load each rig or profile, and each one can also be tweaked with knobs, so the profiles aren’t set in stone. In addition to the hundreds of profiles per rig, there is a preset bank for each rig which combines the Kemper like capture with fx and pedals from the th-u collection. The wording is really confusing. But it’s awesome. It’s not like their amp sims and cab emulations, these are real amp profiles that are also using impulse responses. It’s also not like Nembrini which are “analog” circuit emulations plus IRs. All of the guitar apps on iOS are sims and emulations, but the Rigs in th-u are like Kemper profiles of real amps, not approximations. They’re made after capturing those amps in real life, rather than simply modeled. In an A/B it’s almost impossible to tell which is real and which is virtual, though of course we’re not dealing with real tubes in the software realm.

• @Intrepolicious said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

• Divided by 13

• Bad Cat Cub 40r

• Savage Rohr 15

• Brunetti SingleMan

• Rivera

• Carr Bloke

• Lil Dawg

• Randall

Loverpedal Purple Plexi
    Hermida Zendrive
    Klon Centaur (duh)

Anyone else???

Matchless?

Friedman?

Soldano?

Well, now that I’m looking, I see there’s already Soldano and Friedman rigs. No Matchless though!

Yeah plenty of Friedmans and Soldanos, most of which are really great. Matchless would be great though.

• edited February 2021

@Intrepolicious so you have the regular amp sims, cabs, and pedals available a la carte, in bundles, or the full pack, just like Bias or Amplitube, Some of the sims are actually authorized versions like Brunetti, Randall, THD, and the rest cover everything. But it’s basically like the other big guitar apps, except it sounds better. Nembrini are single amp masterpieces that also compare favorably to th-u sims, and in many cases even sound better considering they skip cab emulation and use IRs. So these two devs are tops for me. Even if you don’t want any more amps and are happy with Nembrini, the thu pedals and fx are stellar and extensive, and I will chain them in front of any Nembrini.

Then you have the Rigs which are expensive and a separate purchase but a whole other ballgame, you’re buying “amp capture” tech in the form of many presets, that you can still tweak. You have to think of it like profiling like a Kemper. So if there’s an amp you really want, you can have it, either as “dry” rigs, presets with fx, direct bypassed, use all your other fx, etc... it sounds and plays as real as can be. I only use th-u and Nembrini. Hope this helps make you poorer 🤑

PS if you do decide to get a rig go with the ones made in collab with Choptones and BHS. The ones that are native “th-u” aren’t my favorites quality wise, though some people like them. There will be some that are rig collections, so many different amps with fewer profiles for each amp, or you have a rig that’s just one amp with hundreds of captures (too many really). Then presets banks with fx vary, some have only 10-15 presets for an amp, and others like BHS have 50 or 60. Also, each rig is an actual amp specimen, like a real amp from an actual year, vintage or modern etc... so how good a rig is can depend on how good the amp is that they had in the room. it’s all in the marketing materials. Some amps are actually from the ‘60s or ‘70s, some are re-issues or brand new, some are modded or re-tubed or some amp of a friend. It’s all so interesting.

• I’m hoping for some Divided by 13‘s and Rivera’s.

It would be truly cool if guys like Joe Bonamassa and others Dumble-owning greats would do a proper to the rest of us by allowing Overloud and their contributors to sample their boutique amps. I mean, it’s not like we’re stealing their secret recipe. Tone comes from the hands, right?

We’d just be getting a sniff of the pixie dust.

@Intrepolicious each “Rig” they sell is actually just based on a real life amp, like a Kemper, and each is a collection of profiles in different settings of the amp, with different mics and speakers etc... some of them have baked in overdrive or distortion pedals as listed in each rig pdf. But the “Rig Player” is just an amp face into which you load each rig or profile, and each one can also be tweaked with knobs, so the profiles aren’t set in stone. In addition to the hundreds of profiles per rig, there is a preset bank for each rig which combines the Kemper like capture with fx and pedals from the th-u collection. The wording is really confusing. But it’s awesome. It’s not like their amp sims and cab emulations, these are real amp profiles that are also using impulse responses. It’s also not like Nembrini which are “analog” circuit emulations plus IRs. All of the guitar apps on iOS are sims and emulations, but the Rigs in th-u are like Kemper profiles of real amps, not approximations. They’re made after capturing those amps in real life, rather than simply modeled. In an A/B it’s almost impossible to tell which is real and which is virtual, though of course we’re not dealing with real tubes in the software realm.

@JoyceRoadStudios said:
    @Intrepolicious so you have the regular amp sims, cabs, and pedals available a la carte, in bundles, or the full pack, just like Bias or Amplitube, Some of the sims are actually authorized versions like Brunetti, Randall, THD, and the rest cover everything. But it’s basically like the other big guitar apps, except it sounds better. Nembrini are single amp masterpieces that also compare favorably to th-u sims, and in many cases even sound better considering they skip cab emulation and use IRs. So these two devs are tops for me. Even if you don’t want any more amps and are happy with Nembrini, the thu pedals and fx are stellar and extensive, and I will chain them in front of any Nembrini.

Then you have the Rigs which are expensive and a separate purchase but a whole other ballgame, you’re buying “amp capture” tech in the form of many presets, that you can still tweak. You have to think of it like profiling like a Kemper. So if there’s an amp you really want, you can have it, either as “dry” rigs, presets with fx, direct bypassed, use all your other fx, etc... it sounds and plays as real as can be. I only use th-u and Nembrini. Hope this helps make you poorer 🤑

PS if you do decide to get a rig go with the ones made in collab with Choptones and BHS. The ones that are native “th-u” aren’t my favorites quality wise, though some people like them. There will be some that are rig collections, so many different amps with fewer profiles for each amp, or you have a rig that’s just one amp with hundreds of captures (too many really). Then presets banks with fx vary, some have only 10-15 presets for an amp, and others like BHS have 50 or 60. Also, each rig is an actual amp specimen, like a real amp from an actual year, vintage or modern etc... so how good a rig is can depend on how good the amp is that they had in the room. it’s all in the marketing materials. Some amps are actually from the ‘60s or ‘70s, some are re-issues or brand new, some are modded or re-tubed or some amp of a friend. It’s all so interesting.

Thanks for breaking it down in detail!

• @Intrepolicious said:

@JoyceRoadStudios said:
    @Intrepolicious each “Rig” they sell is actually just based on a real life amp, like a Kemper, and each is a collection of profiles in different settings of the amp, with different mics and speakers etc... some of them have baked in overdrive or distortion pedals as listed in each rig pdf. But the “Rig Player” is just an amp face into which you load each rig or profile, and each one can also be tweaked with knobs, so the profiles aren’t set in stone. In addition to the hundreds of profiles per rig, there is a preset bank for each rig which combines the Kemper like capture with fx and pedals from the th-u collection. The wording is really confusing. But it’s awesome. It’s not like their amp sims and cab emulations, these are real amp profiles that are also using impulse responses. It’s also not like Nembrini which are “analog” circuit emulations plus IRs. All of the guitar apps on iOS are sims and emulations, but the Rigs in th-u are like Kemper profiles of real amps, not approximations. They’re made after capturing those amps in real life, rather than simply modeled. In an A/B it’s almost impossible to tell which is real and which is virtual, though of course we’re not dealing with real tubes in the software realm.

@JoyceRoadStudios said:

Thanks for breaking it down in detail!

No problem! This is why I even made a random wishlist. Like, Nembrini can come out with an incredible amp sim called “Humble PCP” or whatever, and it will be a faithfully recreated Dumble ODS where Nembrini tries to model the actual circuit in their algorithm and emulation. And it will sound great, and use impulse responses. People can say it’s great in its own right but doesn’t sound like a Dumble, or it sounds exactly like one etc... at the end of the day these are “based on so and so” amps or modeled after so and so. And for sure they’re awesome.

TH-U rigs are the actual amp in the room being captured in a plethora of settings, and modeled using proprietary tech like a Kemper ( not as good as Kemper tech probably). So it’s not for me to say which guitar app is better in terms of sound quality or picking response, whether it’s Nembrini or thu or ge labs or bias etc, but the point is when you buy a Rig you’re buying the sound of the actual amp, and it sounds like the actual amp. Many people are rightfully happy with the simplicity of having just one amp like a Cali reverb, add some outside fx, and that’s that. This is all and expensive wormhole, but why wouldn’t I want to pay $20 or whatever to have an actual Matchless profile in my room, or any bucket list amp I can’t afford.

• Fender just came out with a $100 headphone amp sim worth getting. It called the Fender Mustang Mini and it had code from their GTX line of amps which are expensive. It also can serve as an audio input for iOS (mono) and has a PreAmp setting and FX. Ideal for travel and mobile practice.

• I bought the rig, there are excellent Plexi tones in here. It was worth the 26 bucks. Choptones kills.

• @bobbyj8866 said:
    I bought the rig, there are excellent Plexi tones in here. It was worth the 26 bucks. Choptones kills.

Wonderful review. Thanks!

• @flo26 said:

Wow great video thanks for posting! That JTM sounds so good at the end of the video!