Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Chord apps that could filter *incoming* midi

I’ve just watched the new features on Chord Maps 2 and it reminded me of a question I’ve brought up on other threads without getting any traction: Why, oh why, can’t any of the various chord apps (and I think I have most of them) filter incoming midi notes so that they would conform to a chord or chord progression? Especially apps like Suggester or Navichord or Chordbud, etc., that let you build a sequence of chords. Then you could improvise via midi keyboard and your notes would conform to a chord progression. This seems like a feature that people would like so I have to assume that there’s some problem that prevents this kind of thing. Why can’t it be done?

Comments

• Hail brave traveler! I too am on this search.

• _ki_ki
    edited February 22

Updated my answer after checking out how things really works in ChordMaps2:

In ChordMaps2, the horizontal melody keyboard always play in the current scale/root - the notes don‘t change when playing different chord pads in the main area (The used root only changes for layouts 6+7). The white C always plays the scale’s root note, D the II and so on, but for minor scales the b3 and b6 black keys are used instead of the E+A white keys.

Curently the pad apps ChordPadX, ChordPolyPad, Tonaliy Pads and ChordBud2 allow for different, independant chords on their pads - so there is no common scale/root to all of the pads. Thats probabbly the reason why they don‘t offer this kind of scale/root transform feature.

And i suspect that if scale/root is fixed, one could use Rozeta Scaler to transpose and scale the white keys to the wanted scale.

• With this chord device you can send notes to 8 channels in two ways
    1. CEGB notes trigger the root, 3rd, 5th & 7th of the current chord
    2. Any note triggers a fixed note or combination of chord notes in the octave that the note is sent based on the setting for that channel and scene.

The 8 channels then route chord notes to different instruments using AUM’s channel filter.

Here’s a video demonstrating...
    https://youtu.be/kz4D2QJJXJA

Is that sort of what you mean?

• @Stochastically, @gothamoddisee
    How would you convert incoming notes to a chord progression?

• edited February 22

@rs2000 said: How would you convert incoming notes to a chord progression?

I know you didn't ask me, but it's something I've been thinking about :smile:

In my touchscaper app, which is all about chords really, there's a feature where you advance to the next chord with a new touch, so you could do something along those lines. So basically, if you have no notes playing, that means the next note on will trigger the next chord in your progression. That's basically what touchscaper does and I know of a few people that record touchscaper's MIDI out to capture perfectly played chord progressions and melodies.

Re-mapping any incoming note to a nearby good note is pretty straightforward if your app knows about chords. It's basically the same as what you do with a simple MIDI-based transpose.

Everything I've seen so far seems to over-complicate this, but then again, my complexity threshold is fairly low :smile:

It's on my ever-growing list of AUv3 MIDI type things I'd like to do, unless someone beats me to it :wink: or there's already something out there that does it...

• 7 months ago, I've built a step sequencer prototype that can be advanced and reversed using simple step buttons. Add the ChordPolyPad AUv3 and you have a "chord ladder".
    https://patchstorage.com/step-sequencer-with-manual-forward-and-reverse-buttons/

• wimwim
    edited February 22

A long time ago I wrote a mozaic script that is a "Dynamic Scale Quantizer". Basically, when you turn one of the knobs to the right, it arms it to listen for notes to allow through. If you did that and sent it a chord, then it would quantize all notes to that chord. To change the chord, you would turn another knob to the right to clear that and repeat for the next chord.

So, with some midi mapping to control those knobs you could cobble something together that might work. Not a great solution, but I remembered it, so I thought I'd toss it out there.

https://patchstorage.com/dynamic-scale-quantize/

Dynamic Scale Quantize
    Builds a custom scale based on notes received.

Initially all notes are passed through and there are no notes enabled in the filter.

• FIRST KNOB: Turns filtering on or off
    • SECOND KNOB: Right = add notes, Left = remove notes
    • THIRD KNOB: Right = remove all notes and go to add mode
    • SHIFT: Cycle through views
      Knobs can also be changed via their AU parameters
  • Thanks everyone. I'll have to digest this info and return later.

• @rs2000 said:
    @Stochastically, @gothamoddisee
    How would you convert incoming notes to a chord progression?

@rs2000 In my Mozaic script I use a default scale and then use the root chord shape. So, typically set to C Major incoming notes trigger chord notes in the following way:
    C => Chord root
    E => Chord 3rd
    G => Chord 5th
    B => Chord 7th

There's settings to abandon, round or use other (non-chord) notes.
    In the latter mode C# => +1st above chord root etc.
    Octave is also taken from incoming note octave.

• @Stochastically said:
    I’ve just watched the new features on Chord Maps 2 and it reminded me of a question I’ve brought up on other threads without getting any traction: Why, oh why, can’t any of the various chord apps (and I think I have most of them) filter incoming midi notes so that they would conform to a chord or chord progression? Especially apps like Suggester or Navichord or Chordbud, etc., that let you build a sequence of chords. Then you could improvise via midi keyboard and your notes would conform to a chord progression. This seems like a feature that people would like so I have to assume that there’s some problem that prevents this kind of thing. Why can’t it be done?

you might want to look at Chordion

for filtering incoming notes and velocity , Midiflow apps work well

i have most of above apps, apps like suggester have naming conventions, and can be confusing if you are used to visual clues, if notes are filtered