Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

You ever bang your head to your own noise / revisit old creations?

edited February 2021 in Creations

Man, what a feeling! This new track has me wishing I had long hair.

Usually I don’t listen to any of my creations after I complete it.

Comments

• Same here.

• @MrBlaschke said:
    For sure!

Nice! I’m sure ambient producers wouldn’t bang their head. But there has to be similar motion. Grooving head bob I suppose

• I listen to my own stuff all the time. Not out of ego, but the main reason I made music in the first place was to make stuff I really wanted to hear, and rock out to it. Stuff that interested me and I could aggressively daydream to.
    Besides, I average about 5-10 unique views per new track because the YouTube algorithm loathes me, so... Somebody's gotta listen to it 😉

That's probably also why my tracks are so odd. I'm not a musician by trade, so when someone in real life is like "oh you make beats?" and I'm thinking, yeah but it's dungeon synth, industrial, black metal, and drum and bass with a little jazz and latin/middle eastern influence, and then I think: should I even bother explaining this without looking like a serial killer? So I just end up listening to it myself.

But I do quite enjoy rolling back though stuff I did over a decade ago. It almost feels like a different person made those tracks, but someone I have stuff in common with.

Slightly off topic, I have a track on my YouTube buried in there from 2008. It's a thrash metal track I made in orion pro with demo vsts, badly sampled drums, and tons of distortion. I dunno why I thought of that just now... It's terrible and hilarious, but it reminds me that the intention to headbang has always been there, even when I was way younger. It's so incredibly cringy though. I didn't even have a midi controller back then, I moused in all the notes on a clunky piano roll, including the "guitar solo" 🤣🤢 I left it up on my YouTube for the occasional laugh. I could in theory headbang to it, but I'm not sure I'd want to. 😂

• I love to make tracks and forget about them and then rediscover them later...

• Yea buddy, if I do I know it’s at least a half way decent track. I try take note of it actually and mark that track accordingly. Either by marking track name with a $ for good or WIP for good but needs more. Or by saving in a separate folder where I put my best stuff.

• Poppa know...

• Not lately. It’s been six or eight months since I made anything worth listening to twice. I’m starting to think I need to become a better person in order to make better music.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Not lately. It’s been six or eight months since I made anything worth listening to twice. I’m starting to think I need to become a better person in order to make better music.

Not the response I'd expect from the world's second best shredder. You can do it!

• @legsmechanical said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    Not lately. It’s been six or eight months since I made anything worth listening to twice. I’m starting to think I need to become a better person in order to make better music.

Not the response I'd expect from the world's second best shredder. You can do it!

My problem is that shredding is fun to play but boring to listen to. I need to stop jamming so much and start composing more.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@legsmechanical said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

My problem is that shredding is fun to play but boring to listen to. I need to stop jamming so much and start composing more.

I find it a lot easier to compose, at least for me when I build songs around a couple chord progressions that work together, say a verse, and chorus, sometimes a bridge as well. Coming from a guitar background it was one of my favorite ways to start a piece. I still start a song in many, many different ways but, I typically find my best song creation when I have a good structure of chords to then build everything around. Kind of like the bones of the songwriting process if you will...

• @GeorgeL909 said:
    it's dungeon synth, industrial, black metal, and drum and bass with a little jazz and latin/middle eastern influence, and then I think: should I even bother explaining this without looking like a serial killer? So I just end up listening to it myself.

I’m interested in having a listen. Love a bit of dungeon synth and black metal.

• I was humming something the other day and tried to figure out the name of the artist for hours before I realised that it was one of my old creation. Made me quite happy.

• @cuscolima said:
    I was humming something the other day and tried to figure out the name of the artist for hours before I realised that it was one of my old creation. Made me quite happy.

Lol. That’s a good sign.

• @FesteringMike said:

@GeorgeL909 said:
    it's dungeon synth, industrial, black metal, and drum and bass with a little jazz and latin/middle eastern influence, and then I think: should I even bother explaining this without looking like a serial killer? So I just end up listening to it myself.

I’m interested in having a listen. Love a bit of dungeon synth and black metal.

Yeah?

Haha I appreciate that ;) I use those genres loosely. Not everyone's cup of tea but lately it's been mine.

• @GeorgeL909

I enjoyed it. Reminded me a little of The Meads of Asphodel with the kind of Middle Eastern vibes. I was also getting a bit of a Tarintino feel too. Tarintino Black metal? Now there’s a genre worth inventing!

• edited February 2021

@FesteringMike said:
    @GeorgeL909

I enjoyed it. Reminded me a little of The Meads of Asphodel with the kind of Middle Eastern vibes. I was also getting a bit of a Tarintino feel too. Tarintino Black metal? Now there’s a genre worth inventing!

Than you so kindly! Truly appreciate that!

Black metal is crazy how diverse it's quickly becoming in recent times, and I truly bet tarantino metal is already out there.

In case you're curious or bored enough for some YouTube diving, some recent surprises for me are White Ward for legit noir jazz black metal, Abstract Void for retrowave/synthwave black metal (they beat me to it by many years lol), and Diplodocus for "dino synth", which is exactly what you think it is. I dunno how people come up with this stuff and it's exhausting to think about 😂

• @GeorgeL909 said:

@FesteringMike said:
    @GeorgeL909

Than you so kindly! Truly appreciate that!

Black metal is crazy how diverse it's quickly becoming in recent times, and I truly bet tarantino metal is already out there.

In case you're curious or bored enough for some YouTube diving, some recent surprises for me are White Ward for legit noir jazz black metal, Abstract Void for retrowave/synthwave black metal (they beat me to it by many years lol), and Diplodocus for "dino synth", which is exactly what you think it is. I dunno how people come up with this stuff and it's exhausting to think about 😂

Cheers, I’ll check them out when I get chance. I’ve long been a fan of Summoning who baseball their songs on the old lord of the rings tapes. I feel that with iPad creation it is now possible to create that synth style black metal easily from the comfort of your own home. It’s not as if good production and sound quality is important within the genre!

Tempted to do a synth/black metal Game of thrones project. Although I feel I’m not quite geeky enough!

• I listen to my recorded improvs over and over -- because I rarely try to flesh out a concept and learn from the results when it actually happens.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dgs9kmv2qr0566q/Funk for Four.mp3?dl=0

• ^ kinda same...
    also, I play with my toys to kill free time... which I had plenty of recently... main lesson learned during lockdown - when to stop and move onto something else.
    If I don’t bang my head after an hour or so, I’ll leave it aside for couple of hours.

• @FesteringMike said:

Cheers, I’ll check them out when I get chance. I’ve long been a fan of Summoning who baseball their songs on the old lord of the rings tapes. I feel that with iPad creation it is now possible to create that synth style black metal easily from the comfort of your own home. It’s not as if good production and sound quality is important within the genre!

Tempted to do a synth/black metal Game of thrones project. Although I feel I’m not quite geeky enough!

Summoning, definitely classic. I say go for it! At least a track or something, doesn't have to be a whole project. Even if it's only part of a track or a jam, and even if it's only vaguely inspired by GoT. Hell I'm trying to make a track that's inspired by a single background stage from mortal kombat. Anything little bit of inspiration is at least with using as a jumping off point imo. Even if the final product sounds nothing like the original idea.

@audiobussy said:
    I listen to my recorded improvs over and over -- because I rarely try to flesh out a concept and learn from the results when it actually happens.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dgs9kmv2qr0566q/Funk for Four.mp3?dl=0

I really liked the drums going on in there, I enjoyed that jam! Honestly if you make 2 or 3 jams like that in similar tempo and key, you could always make a game out of chopping them and mashing them together. Or you could keep them as just short jams.

One of my favorite YouTubers who makes synth stuff is Nostalgic Ruckus, and most of his videos are heavy industrial jams about a minute long, sometimes less. However they have significant impact, and stand on their own without necessarily being full songs in the traditional radio sense.

I'm starting to think without the pressure of having to create a complete final product, you can find a ton of merit in short musical sketches, and just do whatever you want with it. It's kinda liberating now that I think of it...

• edited February 2021

@GeorgeL909 Thanks for the encouragement. My primary instrument is the drums (though this is finger drumming on a Roli block). I might try chopping things up and playing them in koala because you can do so without quantization

I try to mix things up. Here’s something with a drum loop (which is not mine):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xzk55ma1yzfqk9l/Down_for_you.mp3?dl=0>; @audiobussy said:

@GeorgeL909 Thanks for the encouragement. My primary instrument is the drums (though this is finger drumming on a Roli block). I might try chopping things up and playing them in koala because you can do so without quantization

I try to mix things up. Here’s something around a drum loop (not played by me):
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/xzk55ma1yzfqk9l/Down_for_you.mp3?dl=0

• edited February 2021

Totally. I’ll have a drink up every now and then with the guy i mostly write with and we’ll open up the archives (aka the hard drives) and talk and listen til 4 in the morning. It’s good to remind yourself how you’ve progressed and changed.

I’ve also been a part of a few albums that were in my regular rotation for a good while. I tend to like the stuff that I do (imagine that) and feel it’s on par with most anything. If I don’t enjoy it, how could I expect anyone else to?

• This was the session in question. The track that started this thread. Finally screen recorded and was about to start moshing in my living room. Is this a moshable song? Yes...yes it is

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    Man, what a feeling! This new track has me wishing I had long hair.

Usually I don’t listen to any of my creations after I complete it.

I have an cassette I am dying to listen to as well as some VHS tapes.

I have a tape player in closet but the VHS I don't have a player.

The cassette is of real interest.

I did it in my garage at 16. I had a Yamaha keyboard, a Farfisa drum machine, a Fender precision over the shoulder, a mic, a tape player for looping by hand and then recorded it into a boom box.

It was a Skinny Puppy type vibe. I played it all through a bass head and bass cabinet and a small Peavey monitor run with a another Sunn amp for the keyboard.

I feel like it is way ahead of its time....but probably euphoric recall! LOL