Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tonality help please

@TonalityApp
Tonality is such an amazing app especially when you don’t have a keyboard handy. Am I missing something though ?

1. Is there any way to set a chord progression and have it play synced in AUM ?

2. How would I MIDI map to have the AUM keyboard trigger a chord pad ?

Any help with this would be great.

Comments

• @Thepixelproducers Hey! Here are my suggestions:

1. There are two main ways to do this. One is to assign MIDI note triggers to each pad and use another sequencer to sequence those notes (more on this in 2). The other is to sequence using the automation parameters. These can be accessed from the MIDI control menu in AUM. For example, you could trigger the “next pad” parameter with a note or CC and then schedule that event however often you want. More complex schemes can be obtained using the previous, up, down, goto start, and other automation parameters.

Make sure you turn on foot pedal mode:

1. To assign a trigger to a pad, first turn on MIDI learn mode:

Then you just have to hold down on a pad and play the trigger note you want to assign. Play the same trigger note again to unassign.

Let me know if you have further questions or if any of this is unclear. I’m also considering built-in sequencing options, but this is a long term goal and I may not go through with it (so as to avoid too much feature creep).

• Thanks for breaking this down @TonalityApp

A simple built in sequencing option would be so cool, I don’t want to put even more on your plate, cause this app has developed into one of the must have iOS music apps imho, but that would dang near double its power.

Just a thought, I envision a small timeline type bar across the top of the pads, almost like a horizontal strum pad, just like in the app, but with scrolling capabilities so you can see a minimum of 16 bars, preferably 32. It doesn’t have to be big, just enough to see chord names, and you could drag, drop, & rearrange, the chord pads you have on the screen in the sequencer timeline. Maybe with a snap to grid option, you could turn on/off, so you could adjust chord length by bar, 1/2 bar, 1/4 bar, or on your own. Also definitely a loop button, or just make it auto loop. The more I try to explain this, the more features I think of, the more complicated this gets. Lol. It’s easy to get lost in all the features someone might want in a chord sequencer, but if you do decide to go this route I think something simple would suffice in this case.

• Heck you’ve put so much into this app, if you are considering chord sequencing create another app and sell it. Basically a very similar look, just leave out all the music theory stuff, and just have a chord Au sequencer app. With pads, and a sequencer timeline. You deserve more money for the efforts you’ve put into Tonality, so maybe consider a new app instead of adding any major features.

• I’ll be one of the first ones to buy it, without hesitation.

• @Thepixelproducers said:
    @TonalityApp
    Tonality is such an amazing app especially when you don’t have a keyboard handy. Am I missing something though ?

1. Is there any way to set a chord progression and have it play synced in AUM ?

2. How would I MIDI map to have the AUM keyboard trigger a chord pad ?

Any help with this would be great.

Technically it’s not a chord sequencer, even though you can do it using the methods @TonalityApp explained.

The chord pads are made for live pad playing. I typically play Tonality AU Pads in AUM and record my midi into atom, and let that do the sequencing.

• @TonalityApp said:
    @Thepixelproducers Hey! Here are my suggestions:

1. There are two main ways to do this. One is to assign MIDI note triggers to each pad and use another sequencer to sequence those notes (more on this in 2). The other is to sequence using the automation parameters. These can be accessed from the MIDI control menu in AUM. For example, you could trigger the “next pad” parameter with a note or CC and then schedule that event however often you want. More complex schemes can be obtained using the previous, up, down, goto start, and other automation parameters.

Make sure you turn on foot pedal mode:

1. To assign a trigger to a pad, first turn on MIDI learn mode:

Then you just have to hold down on a pad and play the trigger note you want to assign. Play the same trigger note again to unassign.

Let me know if you have further questions or if any of this is unclear. I’m also considering built-in sequencing options, but this is a long term goal and I may not go through with it (so as to avoid too much feature creep).

Incredible breakdown @TonalityApp I’m going to try these out. Thanks so much !

• @Poppadocrock Thanks for the suggestions and support! If I ever make a sequencer I'd probably have it as a separate app as you mention, though again that's a very long term goal if at all.

@Thepixelproducers Let me know how it works!

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Heck you’ve put so much into this app, if you are considering chord sequencing create another app and sell it. Basically a very similar look, just leave out all the music theory stuff, and just have a chord Au sequencer app. With pads, and a sequencer timeline. You deserve more money for the efforts you’ve put into Tonality, so maybe consider a new app instead of adding any major features.

@TonalityApp Definitely agree with this. You have to put food on the table somehow!

• @CapnWillie said:
    I’ve had Tonality since launch but thought it was for theory lessons and midi in chord detection. Clearly it does so much more. The other thread is way tltr at this point. Do i need chord or scaler bud if i have tonality?

Only if you need to have a built-in sequencer...
    I mostly use Tonalitys chord pads AUv3 to record chords into other apps.

• @Samu said:

@CapnWillie said:
    I’ve had Tonality since launch but thought it was for theory lessons and midi in chord detection. Clearly it does so much more. The other thread is way tltr at this point. Do i need chord or scaler bud if i have tonality?

Only if you need to have a built-in sequencer...
    I mostly use Tonalitys chord pads AUv3 to record chords into other apps.

Same. I always set it up with an instance of atom 2 or helium to record what I play. Also the relatively newer feature in tonality Circle of fifths is cool. You can play the chords and their various inversions on one screen.

It does a lot. I believe the developer did create a user manual, I can’t remember if it’s in the app or online but it is helpful.

I think there are 4 or 5 separate AU’s included with tonality. Plus the enormous amount of musical resources and info at your disposal, for both piano and guitar. I love that new pop up box where you can drag and drop any chords you want into it, then create and save a preset to be used in the AU pads.

• Tonality can easily create chords or notes in lots of scales, or be completely customizable. It also has a strum feature that can turn 1 Au chord pad into segments, each slice being a note in that chord for strumming or leads.

• The documentation is the place I’m lacking 😬

The manual is still mostly relevant though and I just added a tutorial mode which allows you to tap any button and learn what it does (go into settings and tap the question mark).

• Don´t fully understand how the "pedal" works, if somebody can explain it in simple terms I would greately appreciate. Many thanks in advance

• @TonalityApp your Chord Pads AUv3 is sending out Sustain pedal off (CC 64 0) every time the window is closed (experiencing this in Drambo). I don’t think this is intended or desired behavior?