Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What’s the most FUN hardware synth of the moment?

13»

Comments

• @Krupa said:
    Is anyone having more than just saw squelchy bass fun with korg’s Nubass thing? Those micro tubes look ace and you’d think be quite versatile, but from all the demos I’ve heard it really is just for bass...

Time to sample its tube oscillator settings into a Drambo wavetable, model the second NuTube in Graphic shaper plus Compressor and EQ and then build great pad sounds with them 😁
    Doing this with other Volcas and controlling everything with a Monologue MIDI controller sounds like fun too.

• edited February 2021

@I_sip_cupps said:
    Its become a big “who has the bigger wang” contest while guys with thousands invested in synths cant play them for crap and the guy with the Volca keys and Volca Drum makes properly decent music.

You just described all music in any field or genre. The common term is “all the gear, no idea”.

@I_sip_cupps said:
    Hardware is so overrated.

You just said “musical instruments are overrated”

• @u0421793 said:
    I’m tempted to say (though it would be inaccurate) that for me the first gate of qualification of a truly ‘fun’ synth is that it will be one-knob-per-function.
    As soon as there’s a screen or a data knob or menu up/down buttons, it’s no longer fun, it’s actual work, and I’m in the realm of cognitive investment.

I’m also tempted to add that to qualify as a fun synth for me, it’ll have some means of simple sequencing / arpeggiating / note make happening, that makes the thing make sound without my prodding a keyboard all the time. I think that’s a contributory aspect to a synth being fun. But, then, the danger is that the ‘note make happener’ is often too complicated or obtuse to use without actually thinking. If I have to think, it’s not fun. If I have to think, I’ll have to invoice for that, which means it was work.

Imagine a theremin with additional proximity sensors and motion detectors controlling other parameters such as filter and envelope attributes. You won’t have to think, just move. I don’t know if it’d make music worth listening to, but it would be fun to watch you capering about like a loon...

• @u0421793 said:

@OscarSouth said:

@u0421793 said:
    I’m tempted to say (though it would be inaccurate) that for me the first gate of qualification of a truly ‘fun’ synth is that it will be one-knob-per-function.
    As soon as there’s a screen or a data knob or menu up/down buttons, it’s no longer fun, it’s actual work, and I’m in the realm of cognitive investment.

I’m also tempted to add that to qualify as a fun synth for me, it’ll have some means of simple sequencing / arpeggiating / note make happening, that makes the thing make sound without my prodding a keyboard all the time. I think that’s a contributory aspect to a synth being fun. But, then, the danger is that the ‘note make happener’ is often too complicated or obtuse to use without actually thinking. If I have to think, it’s not fun. If I have to think, I’ll have to invoice for that, which means it was work.

You’re describing DFAM

Subharmonicon

I’ve not had a go at that but it looks very fun. I’ve been curious if it’s actually as practical as M32 or DFAM for making actual tracks (and I doubt I’ll get a chance to test) but it looks incredibly fun and sounds great on the examples I’ve seen.

Any jam session though, the only synths I touch are the analogue sequencer on DFAM and the one octave keyboard on M32. It’s like picking up a guitar and jamming.

• @rs2000 said:

@Krupa said:
    Is anyone having more than just saw squelchy bass fun with korg’s Nubass thing? Those micro tubes look ace and you’d think be quite versatile, but from all the demos I’ve heard it really is just for bass...

Time to sample its tube oscillator settings into a Drambo wavetable, model the second NuTube in Graphic shaper plus Compressor and EQ and then build great pad sounds with them 😁
    Doing this with other Volcas and controlling everything with a Monologue MIDI controller sounds like fun too.

Sounds like a great idea, I think I’m hoping against reality that there’s some non linearity in the hardware that could be explored, but I racing they’ve got it chained down hard...

• @u0421793 said:

This updated description still has me thinking along the Circuit route but I'm now picturing the Circuit Mono Station covering all those bases.

( and leads :D ).

A great sounding knob, per function, underrated synth that is probably even more fun than it's older sibling.

• edited February 2021

@Krupa said:

@rs2000 said:

@Krupa said:

Sounds like a great idea, I think I’m hoping against reality that there’s some non linearity in the hardware that could be explored, but I racing they’ve got it chained down hard...

Yep, the nonlinearity is the essential property of the NuTube used, hence using the Graphic Shaper to achieve the NuTube transfer function (curves at different filament voltages):

• I got rid of my DFAM and that was a dumb move. Now I want that and the Subharmonicon. But ... more synth than brains (and time).

• @u0421793 said:

That would be an SH-101 or Pro One.

Once synths get too computery they often (not always) lose the fun factor.

• P.O. 35 is insanely fun. Turn your voice into a synth and add in drums. Tiny, inexpensive, and portable.

• FPCFPC
    edited February 2021

Yamaha Reface CS is a special little synth. No screen, no memory, instantly tweekable with superb sound.
    Virtual analogue but I don't care as it sounds lovely. It has a really well thought out set of slidders, battery power, built in speakers, quality mini keyboard and massive fun. It's a keeper.

• @OscarSouth said:

@I_sip_cupps said:
    Its become a big “who has the bigger wang” contest while guys with thousands invested in synths cant play them for crap and the guy with the Volca keys and Volca Drum makes properly decent music.

You just described all music in any field or genre. The common term is “all the gear, no idea”.

@I_sip_cupps said:
    Hardware is so overrated.

You just said “musical instruments are overrated”

Thanks Oscar for giving me the correct terminology. Was waiting for an elitist type to correct me on this one and I am glad I got it because now i know who to ignore.

• @I_sip_cupps said:

If you’re done with your fun, let’s stay on topic, and talk hw that lights us up.
    Since it hasn’t been mentioned, the TR8S usually gets my 🐐

• edited February 2021

New favourite pairing

The octaver tracks the Moog sooooo well! Can play a pretty high line on the Moog and the 2oct down is flawlessly PHAT. Best is that turning up the resonance keeps the low end and still tracks well, then if you turn it up a little more (not into self oscillation) and mess with/modulate it, you can play bass lines from the octaver from the overtones of the filtered oscillator. Most fun I’ve had with this M32 yet. I’ll have to record some examples.

• @OscarSouth said:
    New favourite pairing

The octaver tracks the Moog sooooo well! Can play a pretty high line on the Moog and the 2oct down is flawlessly PHAT. Best is that turning up the resonance keeps the low end and still tracks well, then if you turn it up a little more (not into self oscillation) and mess with/modulate it, you can play bass lines from the octaver from the overtones of the filtered oscillator. Most fun I’ve had with this M32 yet. I’ll have to record some examples.

👍

Love using octave pedals as well as the whammy and harmonizer in my RP20 on synths.

• This pitch pedal is fun too (mine tracks very well and does semitone shifts too):
    https://www.digitech.com/whammy-pitch/Whammy+Ricochet.html