Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I’d like to create a wifi network just between 2 iPads : is it possible?

I precise that I have zero notion concerning routing, networks, bandwidth and stuff like that so please be indulgent with my questions! I always dreamt of having a flawless midi connection between 2 iPads (and I don’t want to buy an iConnect interface). So, after Apollo helped a lot a few years ago and despite the regular optimisation of Bluetooth and the possibilities offered by new apps like MidiFire, I never been satisfied by the quality of wireless communication between my devices. I have a very very good internet connection but using midi over wifi is far from being satisfying. So here’s the thing I keep asking myself each time I look at the Ethernet port of the new usb hub I bought for my iPad : is it possible to create some kind of network, like you would do usually for a Mac, but just between 2 iPads (now that I can use an Ethernet connection)? There’s a pretty good chance my question is ridiculous but one never knows....
Thank you

Comments

• wimwim
    edited February 2021

Yes, it’s possible to set up a “Network Session” between two iOS devices with MidiFire. It sucks big time over WiFi though. Don’t bother to try IMO.

However, I’ve always wondered if it might be solid over Ethernet. In theory, it should be. I never followed through with testing it because Bluetooth MIDI has been fine for me. But if I ever wanted to performlive, no way I’d use Bluetooth.

An Ethernet network MIDI session would require Ethernet adapters for each device, and a network switch. You’d also want to have a way to charge the devices at the same time. What you’d need to do that that depends on the type of device (lightning connector vs. USB-C). The equipment, power, wires, apps, and knowledge needed start to mount fast.

Stick with Bluetooth midi or get an iConnect, IMO.

• I use a raspberry pi to network 2 iPads isolated. Worked well for me in the past.

• Bluetooth MIDI has been the best option here, no need for wired or wireless networks except when using Sonobus 😊

• @cyril777 said:
    I precise that I have zero notion concerning routing, networks, bandwidth and stuff like that so please be indulgent with my questions! I always dreamt of having a flawless midi connection between 2 iPads (and I don’t want to buy an iConnect interface). So, after Apollo helped a lot a few years ago and despite the regular optimisation of Bluetooth and the possibilities offered by new apps like MidiFire, I never been satisfied by the quality of wireless communication between my devices. I have a very very good internet connection but using midi over wifi is far from being satisfying. So here’s the thing I keep asking myself each time I look at the Ethernet port of the new usb hub I bought for my iPad : is it possible to create some kind of network, like you would do usually for a Mac, but just between 2 iPads (now that I can use an Ethernet connection)? There’s a pretty good chance my question is ridiculous but one never knows....
    Thank you

Since you already have ethernet for one iPad, you could get an ethernet adapter for the other one. Check the Apple docs for compatible ones. And you could even skip the ethernet switch if you can find a "crossed" cable; we used to use those for a quick two-computer hookup.

But, given the nature of iOS and iPad hardware, I assume those network adapters need to buffer the packets, both sending and receiving. So the delay may be unacceptable for real-time playing. Just because it's wired, I wouldn't assume it's fast. Bluetooth, which just transmits data, needs no protocol, may be best, as already recommended.

• If at least one of the iPads has a SIM card, you can also enable "Personal Hotspot" (or whatever it's called nowadays) on that device, then connect the other iPad to that Hotspot. Boom. Both iPads connected over Wi-Fi without a router.

• edited February 2021

I think most commercial pre made cables might already be suitable for peer to peer networking. I've used Ethernet directly between Mac and iPad without issues when I've wanted to use Ableton Link without WiFi. I don't know how tight the MIDI would be. Link seems to allow for a bit of slack in the timing. The personal hotspot could be good, one caveat is that you have to have an active internet connection otherwise the hotspot doesn't work.

• @rs2000 said:
    Bluetooth MIDI has been the best option here, no need for wired or wireless networks except when using Sonobus 😊

Did you ever try to use a midi sequencer on one iPad connected in Bluetooth to sequence what's running on a second iPad ?
    You loose the synchro almost immediately . It's not obvious like it's offbeat but it's like you add a strong shuffle or a Dj who's constantly adjusting his vinyls... I tried a lot of different setups, very simple configuration and some a lot more "heavy", like my favorite couple, the AUM / AB3 combo. I can tell you that the synth loaded in will never stay in line, whatever sequencer you're using on the other device...
    What kills me is that you've got more and more reasons to work like this, I mean using 2 devices sending/ receiving MIDI to each other. Look at the LK Control app : I do not especially like this app but it's meant to be used in standalone, sending its MIDI to a second iPad ... And even if combining AUM and AB3 in order to facilitate the switching between the apps, nothing is more easy and pleasant to use than running Poly2 or Polyphase while tweaking your synth apps with your controller and don't have to choose between one part or the other. And I dare you to use Gestrument Pro without watching the synths it controls.
    But yes, if it's just to use KB-1 to enter some parts in Gadget running on another device in Bluetooth, it works fine...

@SevenSystems said:
    If at least one of the iPads has a SIM card, you can also enable "Personal Hotspot" (or whatever it's called nowadays) on that device, then connect the other iPad to that Hotspot. Boom. Both iPads connected over Wi-Fi without a router.

IT would make me buy another adapter and only my old iPad Air 1 is packed with Cellular ...

• If you think Bluetooth sync is bad, don't even try with a hotspot and wifi.
    I think I'm gonna buy a second Ethernet adapter and try Network Session just to see. This question comes up every 3-6 months and no one ever seems to follow through to see how well it works. I don't have a need for this, but the technical curiosity is getting the better of me.

• @cyril777 said:

@rs2000 said:
    Bluetooth MIDI has been the best option here, no need for wired or wireless networks except when using Sonobus 😊

Did you ever try to use a midi sequencer on one iPad connected in Bluetooth to sequence what's running on a second iPad ?
    You loose the synchro almost immediately . It's not obvious like it's offbeat but it's like you add a strong shuffle or a Dj who's constantly adjusting his vinyls... I tried a lot of different setups, very simple configuration and some a lot more "heavy", like my favorite couple, the AUM / AB3 combo. I can tell you that the synth loaded in will never stay in line, whatever sequencer you're using on the other device...
    What kills me is that you've got more and more reasons to work like this, I mean using 2 devices sending/ receiving MIDI to each other. Look at the LK Control app : I do not especially like this app but it's meant to be used in standalone, sending its MIDI to a second iPad ... And even if combining AUM and AB3 in order to facilitate the switching between the apps, nothing is more easy and pleasant to use than running Poly2 or Polyphase while tweaking your synth apps with your controller and don't have to choose between one part or the other. And I dare you to use Gestrument Pro without watching the synths it controls.
    But yes, if it's just to use KB-1 to enter some parts in Gadget running on another device in Bluetooth, it works fine...

@SevenSystems said:
    If at least one of the iPads has a SIM card, you can also enable "Personal Hotspot" (or whatever it's called nowadays) on that device, then connect the other iPad to that Hotspot. Boom. Both iPads connected over Wi-Fi without a router.

IT would make me buy another adapter and only my old iPad Air 1 is packed with Cellular ...

Sure I did and I cannot confirm your observations here. Something must be wrong in your setup.
    I just tried running a Drambo instance on the iPhone sending MIDI clock over Bluetooth to the iPad running Drambo as well, receiving MIDI clock over BT and they not only run in tight sync but the iPad also follows tempo changes from the sender.

I haven't tried the AUM/AB3 combination though, maybe that's the difference?

• edited February 2021

@SevenSystems said:

Great idea! Or not. I’ll give it a try.
    What’s the most recommended way syncing 2 iOS devices running Aum using Ableton link ?

• edited February 2021

I think you can achieve an acceptable wireless performance by using Link for syncing and Bluetooth midi.
    For wired ethernet connection ,it's possible to connect 2 ipads without the need for cellular or router.
    You'll need to manually set static IPs and gateway

• @cyril777 said:

@rs2000 said:

@SevenSystems said:

What was your setup: hardware, apps, sync options? This sounds suspect to me. I’ve got GR-16 on my iPad 6 and iPhone 5c synched via Bluetooth with ableton link and they are stilltight after 10 minutes.

• Taking a page off @SevenSystems, maybe use a phone for the hotspot, and connect the two iPads to it. Doesn’t have to be anything fancy...an entry level Android can do this well.

• BT with AB3/Aum here too, plus nanostudio2, having MIDI Latency Compensation on sending (about -10ms)

• What would sync be like for mononoke and shoom on another ipad, with audio sent to another ipad. Lfo, tremolos etc if they are governed by tempo?

• Just asking as Id sell a zoom u44.