Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Routing iPad/iPhone into DAW - but losing part of the sound?? What am I doing wrong?

//Hope this appropriate place for this question.
I'm trying to get audio from the iPad into Reaper but when it gets in I'm missing some of the signal, namely bass elements such as the kick drum (maybe some highs but this is just the most obvious at the moment).
Thought it was the cable but I've tried three different ones. Replaced the 1/4 inch adapters too. Tried them gold, silver, stereo or mono. Tried even running the 1/4 inch into an XLR adapter. That boosts the input but ultimately doesn't help. So I'm pretty sure I can rule out cable and adapters.

My interface is the Steinberg UR22- maybe there's something there that I'm missing. I've tried both inputs. There doesn't seem to be any indication that the inputs on the UR22 are faulty. Or should I consider the UR22 inputs to be at fault? I've only run microphones through there and haven't noticed anything wrong but they don't have heavy bass.
If it wasn't for corona/lockdown maybe I could try find someone with another interface to try, but don't see that happening atm.

If I listen to the ipad with headphones then everything is clear and full.
I also have a Tascam iXZ that I use with iPad to route mic into it. If monitored through headphones sounds full, but routing from there to UR22 gives same result as direct from iPad.

Any suggestions? :/

Tx.

Comments

• @EpicWizard What interface are you using for output from the iPad? Are you just connecting to the headphone jack? Using a DAC? Or a real audio interface?

Are you using the iPad mic input along with the headphone output? There's a suggestion that may convert to a "telephone" interface, with a high-pass filter at 30 Hz.

Also, which iPad model is it? Different ones may have different characteristics.

• @uncledave - I've tried both running direct aux cable from ipad headphone jack (Air 2019) or running it through Tascam iXZ. Tried also with my iphone 7, with lightning adapter. So doesn't seem to be an iOS issue and more at the receiving end. Not using the ipad's mic, when I use a mic I'm plugging that into the iXZ. Everything sounds great when checking with headphones until it hits the UR22.
    If I record the iPad material on the iPad via the apps and transfer to Reaper then all sounds great. But I would like to have the direct signal be recorded. I'm mainly using Reaper to be a mixer for livestream audio. The second channel on the UR22 runs a vocal mic for speaking over the music feeding from iPad.

• Sounds like you’re running the stereo 1/4” From the headphone socket into one mono channel of the UR22 and a mic into the other mono channel.
    If that’s the case, you’re losing half the Audio signal, either left or right, and only listening to one channel.

• edited February 2021

@gsm909 - ah, maybe. Didn’t consider that. I can’t seem to find info about the UR22 on that.
    If that’s the case what’s my option for getting stereo signal in? Normally you could use a splitter but I can’t take up both input slots for just iPad.

• @EpicWizard said:
    @gsm909 - ah, maybe. Didn’t consider that. I can’t seem to find info about the UR22 on that.
    If that’s the case what’s my option for getting stereo signal in? Normally you could use a splitter but I can’t take up both input slots for just iPad.

The manual shows the UR22 inputs are mono, balanced if you use a TRS 1/4 inch plug. If you're trying to use a TRS connector for stereo, you're actually getting the difference of the two channels (L-R), which would be really not good. It'd be better to connect only one channel to an ordinary TS (guitar) plug. And if you need, mix the stereo channels to mono in the iPad.

• Oh ok, I looked at the manual but guess not so well. Thanks.

So if I want to keep it in stereo then my only option is a new interface? I just looked and there are interfaces with split left and right inputs at the back. I guess I need to change?
    https://m.thomann.de/intl/behringer_u_phoria_umc204hd.htm?i11l=en_GB:DE.EUR:EUR

Or

https://m.thomann.de/intl/focusrite_scarlett_4i4_3rd_gen.htm?i11l=en_GB:DE.EUR:EUR&o=11&search=1613322980

• @EpicWizard said:
    Oh ok, I looked at the manual but guess not so well. Thanks.

So if I want to keep it in stereo then my only option is a new interface? I just looked and there are interfaces with split left and right inputs at the back. I guess I need to change?
    https://m.thomann.de/intl/behringer_u_phoria_umc204hd.htm?i11l=en_GB:DE.EUR:EUR

Or

https://m.thomann.de/intl/focusrite_scarlett_4i4_3rd_gen.htm?i11l=en_GB:DE.EUR:EUR&o=11&search=1613322980

Yeah. The block diagrams did it for me. I'm an ol' techie, so they really tell the story.

And yes, you'd need 4 or more inputs to record stereo from two sources.

• thanks @uncledave - ach, I was hoping there was a cheaper path than getting a new interface. Maybe this is the chance to look at getting a mixer- interfaces seem to have so few inputs.

• edited February 2021

You may use UCA202 for getting stereo input and output from iPad

• @TheSoundKid said:

The OP already has one stereo pair with the UR22, but he needs two stereo inputs. Also, is the UCA202 Class Compliant? Does it work with iOS?

• @uncledave said:

@TheSoundKid said:

The OP already has one stereo pair with the UR22, but he needs two stereo inputs. Also, is the UCA202 Class Compliant? Does it work with iOS?

It WORKS with iOS...

• edited February 2021

I need at least one xlr mini mic input plus the stereo from iPad.
    Kind of leaning towards one of the Behringer Xenyx.

I could go with a step up in the UR line but that just gets me one stereo input and class compliance feature. Nice but maybe not 200€ worth.

The Behringer Xenyx (QX1202USB maybe) would give me a ton more options that could be useful later down the line, and can potentially be used for gigging later.

The Behringer UMC404HD seems the best deal to be honest but again I see a mixer being probably more useful in the long run.