Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy Endless (Mozaic Script) - Lookahead/Flight Recorder style looper

I've implemented a proof-of-concept Mozaic script that turns turns Loopy into something of a lookahead recorder/multi-take recorder and am interested in people's thoughts about what barebones features are needed.

I am also wondering if anyone is interested in either collaborating or taking the skeleton script and running with it.

The way the script works, once you start recording the script will use 3 (or however few/many you want) tracks and cycle through them until you press stop. When you stop, you then have your last three 'takes'.

As it is now, the buffer length is in seconds, but the logic could be altered so that it is set in terms of bars or something. I just wanted to make sure this technique works before putting time into it.

The script is quite simple so far. Anyone want to try their hand at hacking it into useful shape?

If not, do people want the buffers set in terms of time (number of seconds) or musical time?

Comments

• This is good stuff, I didn’t want this thread to get buried with no response. Your Mosaic skills are impressive, @espiegel123. I wish I had the time to learn this stuff.

I’m expecting Loopy Pro to meet this need, so personally I don’t have the time or motivation to tinker with other ideas. I’d rather just wait half a year and see what Loopy Pro might have.

For me something like this would only be useful if the buffers are clock-based (one bar, two bars, four bars). I actually built this same concept in Loopy HD with MIDI Designer 2 as the control/brains. This was over a year ago... and my trusty 2017 iPad Pro has since died and buried all my iOS creations with it. 😭

For what its worth, performing/playing my version of the “endless Loopy” was incredible fun. It takes live loop performing to another level, more playful and less stress about “I have to get this take just right.”

• I recall that. Did you ever post a working version?

I have a few variations that I am working on. One that is strictly time-based and one that lets you record a base loop and then records additional muted loops. I am using Mozaic for u.i. and scripting so that I can stay in AUM or ApeMatrix.

I haven't tried a clock-based version yet as I have realized that I need to account for the latency of the recording commands. Once I've got that nailed a bit better I'll try a clock-based version.

Did you find that if you issued the record commands to loopy precisely on the beat that you lost the transient right at the start of the measure?

I've decided not to wait for the next version of Loopy because I can use this now. Anything you learned from your experience, I'd love to hear.

Did you have loopy's count-in and count-out enabled when running your script?

• edited February 2021

I have my Loopy Endless script working well. I used it both "synched" where each loop is a single take (of however many bars you've selected) and freeform so that I can play to my internal clock.

Here are a couple of demo vids.

Vid 1 shows synched operation

Vid 2 shows my using it as a freeform idea catcher where I don't use a click of anything -- I have it set to keep the last minute or so of playing.

I will be posting the script to PatchStorage in the next day or so.

-- I believe that the script can be adapted to use Koala and possibly a pair of ENSOs instead of Loopy -- but haven't tried those.

The patch is now available

https://patchstorage.com/loopy-endless/

Once set up, it is easy to use. Setting up the bindings takes a little time but only has to be done once.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I have my Loopy Endless script working well. I used it both "synched" where each loop is a single take (of however many bars you've selected) and freeform so that I can play to my internal clock.

Here are a couple of demo vids.

Vid 1 shows synched operation

Vid 2 shows my using it as a freeform idea catcher where I don't use a click of anything -- I have it set to keep the last minute or so of playing.

I will be posting the script to PatchStorage in the next day or so.

-- I believe that the script can be adapted to use Koala and possibly a pair of ENSOs instead of Loopy -- but haven't tried thos.

This is very cool indeed!. 🤟👍

• The patch is now available

https://patchstorage.com/loopy-endless/

Once set up, it is easy to use. Setting up the bindings takes a little time but only has to be done once.

• When using it free form (not recording fixed length takes), you will use some sort of audio editor to trim to what you want to keep. When your recordings span loop boundaries, there will sometimes be a transient at the clip boundary. I have not had any problems eliminating the click (when it happens) with a few seconds of editing.