Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI pad controllers for ambient and drone

I’m looking to choose a MIDI pad controller for ambient and drone, rather than drums and beats. Mostly for triggering samples in Koala and Beatmaker 3.

What should I be looking for? I can’t spend over £200 on it, and would be happy to spend £70.

I’d love bluetooth (Roli Light Pad, Sensel Morph), and would push budget for that if justifiable.

I’ll be using it alongside an Xkey Air 37 and/or Korg NanoKey Studio.

Or would an older iPad connected via BT MIDI to my current model do just fine? I really want the expression though, hence pads.

Comments

• edited February 2021

It’s not tactile like a hardware pad, but I’m using an iPad 2 [EDIT: iPad Air 2] with Lemur for sending note and cc midi to my iPad Pro. You’d have access to some pretty wild factory touch-based x-y pads and the like. Not to mention user-created controllers somewhere on the web—used to be line.net, but that’s gone. There’s a recent thread here about that—and TouchOSC, another controller app for iPad. And of course, the crazy uncle of iOS controller apps, TC-Data. There’s a slight noticeable latency but that shouldn’t be a big deal if we’re talking drones here. Only issue I’m concerned about is how long Lemur will run on the aging iPad 2. Looks like the developer has moved on. And the app is $25. I think I paid when I bought it in 2012. Got a lot of use from it. Still do.

On the other hand, perhaps some genius could figure out how to get Push to work with iOS for us Ableton ex-pats. That is a great great hardware controller.

• Maschine MK3 in midi mode or Launchpad X

• Sensel morph’s MPE would be awesome for drone stuff when paired with a good synth or sampler that uses it. Not sure how well BeatMaker 3 or Koala work with MPE but I guess if you were feeding them the likes of FRMS, Quanta, or Tardigrain that works. I believe I’ve heard that the sensel morph can get stuck midi notes when using it over Bluetooth, so that isn’t so great as it sounded like you were hoping for BT. I use it over usb and have no problems.

• I hadn’t considered > @Stuntman_mike said:

Maschine MK3 in midi mode or Launchpad X

I hadn’t considered either of those, but I am now, thank you. I doubt Maschine is in my budget though.

• @stown said:
    Sensel morph’s MPE would be awesome for drone stuff when paired with a good synth or sampler that uses it. Not sure how well BeatMaker 3 or Koala work with MPE but I guess if you were feeding them the likes of FRMS, Quanta, or Tardigrain that works. I believe I’ve heard that the sensel morph can get stuck midi notes when using it over Bluetooth, so that isn’t so great as it sounded like you were hoping for BT. I use it over usb and have no problems.

Beatmaker has sensitivity, for sure, and is my tool of choice when outside of AUM. Yes, I want bluetooth as an option, at least, if possible.

Could I programme different scenes on the Sensel MPE to connect to different synths, in AUM or Drambo, for example?

• Orpheon app is a little old but could be fun as a controller for what you describe.

• Would any of the devices in this thread be more or less compatible as Drambo controllers too? I’m still in the earliest phase of learning to switch Drambo on, and build stuff, so it’s not a high priority today, but if I keep listening to @echoopera , I’m soon going to want to.

Another thought is the Arturia Beatstep or Beatstep pro. Any thoughts on this? I love the layout of the Sensel and the Launchpad, and the less bulk of them.

• @andowrites said:
    Would any of the devices in this thread be more or less compatible as Drambo controllers too? I’m still in the earliest phase of learning to switch Drambo on, and build stuff, so it’s not a high priority today, but if I keep listening to @echoopera , I’m soon going to want to.

Another thought is the Arturia Beatstep or Beatstep pro. Any thoughts on this? I love the layout of the Sensel and the Launchpad, and the less bulk of them.

I love using my Beatstep Pro with Drambo!

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@andowrites said:
    Would any of the devices in this thread be more or less compatible as Drambo controllers too? I’m still in the earliest phase of learning to switch Drambo on, and build stuff, so it’s not a high priority today, but if I keep listening to @echoopera , I’m soon going to want to.

I love using my Beatstep Pro with Drambo!

What’s the sensitivity like?

• And to rephrase my question better:

What would be the best controller choices under £300, for use with Koala, Beatmaker 3, and Drambo, preferably with a good degree of touch expression?

Remembering that my focus is ambient and drone, not beats and drums. So mostly for launching samples, clips, and loops.

• Mikro MK3, best pads and all the control features you need.
    Second place: Launchpad X

• edited February 2021

Launchpad X, pro (better choice in regards to sensitivity and number of custom presets) and sensel, definitely. Sensel with the overlay will set you past 300 quids, but it is really worth it ! You can double or triple the setup and reuse the overlays. Great stuff. The only drawback is for finger drumming, where Maschine and launchpads are great.

• @jazzmess said:
    Launchpad X, pro (better choice in regards to sensitivity and number of custom presets) and sensel, definitely. Sensel with the overlay will set you past 300 quids, but it is really worth it ! You can double or triple the setup and reuse the overlays. Great stuff. The only drawback is for finger drumming, where Maschine and launchpads are great.

I went with the Launchpad Pro in the end, after recommendations here and from friends. I'd love a Sensel too, but my budget must wait a while.

• If it makes you feel any better, the Sensel Morph is no good for MPE over Bluetooth.

• Older iPad connected via bluetooth running MIDI Designer.