Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Exploring Ambient Spaces + Binaural Beats = Sound Exploration Thread

edited February 2021 in Creations

Hello AuralNauts:

I've been interested in this particular space of audio production as a method of providing different states of focus while listening to music while using headphones. Over the last couple of days, I got it into my head that I could generate these "binaural" tones directly in Drambo, and this track represents a first pass at using the technique embedded within a track. Oh how I love Drambo and the Oscillator Mini module :)

I know that this topic can spark many perspectives of opinion, but I am looking at it as another audio technique of instrumentation in a track. If it really works, GREAT, if not, no harm done to the sonic quality of the music :)

Anyhoo, here's a first pass on an ambient track, using Drambo to generate the binaural frequency. I'm just learning about this, so I thank you for your patience and interest in the topic. I hope it will be a learning journey for us all.

Best listened with Headphones as usual.

Many thanks in advance:

Comments

• edited February 2021

“According to a 2015 literature review, the tones should be at frequencies lower than 1,000 hertz (Hz) for the brain to detect the binaural beat. The binaural beat that a person perceives is the frequency difference between the waves entering the left and right ear.

For example, if the left ear registers a tone at 200 Hz and the right ear registers one at 210 Hz, the binaural beat is 10 Hz — the difference between the two frequencies.

The findings of a 2018 study suggest that listening to binaural beats for a recommended period can affect a person’s subsequent behavior and sleep cycles.

The study authors explain that there are five different categories of frequency pattern:

Delta pattern: Binaural beats in the delta pattern operate at a frequency of 0.5–4 Hz with links to a dreamless sleep. In the study, people who received a delta pattern frequency during sleep entered a deeper stage of sleep, according to electroencephalogram (EEG) brain scan results.
    Theta pattern: Practitioners set binaural beats in the theta pattern to a frequency of 4–7 Hz. Theta patterns contribute to improved meditation, creativity, and sleep in the rapid eye movement (REM) phase.
    Alpha pattern: Binaural beats in the alpha pattern are at a frequency of 7–13 Hz and may encourage relaxation.
    Beta pattern: Binaural beats in the beta pattern are at a frequency of 13–30 Hz. This frequency range may help promote concentration and alertness. However, it can also increase anxiety at the higher end of the range.
    Gamma pattern: This frequency pattern accounts for a range of 30–50 Hz. The study authors suggest that these frequencies promote maintenance of arousal while a person is awake.”

From medical news today.

So I just read this while listening to your piece.... I have never heard of this technique before. I am very interested in this and where it goes. My brain is a mess these days.. I have a billion thoughts a second and cant slow down. For a brief moment while listening to this... I did notice my shoulders drop down, so yay I relaxed a bit.

Did you apply any of the above to that track?? And thank you again for opening my eyes and ears to this!!!

• I am just learning myself after several years of cursory interest. For this particular track I set it to a 4Hz tone beneath the overall track...at a very low volume so as not to be noticeable...

I am going to be spending a bit more time trying to better understand the different ways songs can be composed to better take advantage and gel with these frequencies. What I am finding to be nice about this approach, is that I am slowing down a bit while laying down melodies, pads, and feeling the overall pacing of the track.

Fun stuff to explore :)

• There is an iOS synth app for this:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/39633/bb17-binaural-synth-anyone-using-it

I dropped a couple of jams in that thread, but they are nowhere near as nice as this one above.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    There is an iOS synth app for this:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/39633/bb17-binaural-synth-anyone-using-it

I dropped a couple of jams in that thread, but they are nowhere near as nice as this one above.

Many thanks for the kind words. I’ll check out the app.

FWIW, i followed this video and adapted it to Drambo to generate the Binaural tone:

• Without a clear idea about frequencies used, duration and monitoring the effect, no need not mess with this too much :|

• @echoopera said:
    Hello AuralNauts:

I've been interested in this particular space of audio production as a method of providing different states of focus while listening to music while using headphones. Over the last couple of days, I got it into my head that I could generate these "binaural" tones directly in Drambo, and this track represents a first pass at using the technique embedded within a track. Oh how I love Drambo and the Oscillator Mini module :)

I know that this topic can spark many perspectives of opinion, but I am looking at it as another audio technique of instrumentation in a track. If it really works, GREAT, if not, no harm done to the sonic quality of the music :)

Anyhoo, here's a first pass on an ambient track, using Drambo to generate the binaural frequency. I'm just learning about this, so I thank you for your patience and interest in the topic. I hope it will be a learning journey for us all.

Best listened with Headphones as usual.

Many thanks in advance:

This is great!. And such an interesting topic which I have no idea about.
    Would it be possible for you to share this or a similar Drambo project to see what’s happening?.

• You can do it in anything; you just need one sine wave panned full left at, say 60 Hz and another full right at 64. Here's a Wotja template I drop into most ambient Mixes to lay a warm little binaural rug under the sound at a volume just on the threshold of audibility.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/mqhbyuh3xyloe5h/binaural.noatikl?dl=0

• edited February 2021

@Masanga yeah it’s straight forward once you can tune the instrument by Hz. I hadn’t seen that on an iPad app until i noticed it in the Oscillator Mini in Drambo.
    It makes me curious to see which other apps beyond Wotja, Drambo and the above mentioned BB-17 provide this kind of tuning on an Oscillator.

• edited February 2021

Here’s another track using the same frequency with a 200Hz carrier instead:

• edited February 2021

It’s wonderful stuff. Very spacey. Please do more.

• @LinearLineman said:
    It’s wonderful stuff. Very spacey. Please do more.

A great many thanks sir 🙏🏼💕

• I love your music dear @echoopera you're such an inspiration.

• @andowrites said:
    I love your music dear @echoopera you're such an inspiration.

Thank you for the compliment. Just trying to spread joy and love from my little sliver of the universe 🙏🏼💕

• edited January 2023

Here's a little groovy loop in which I embedded some Theta Binaural tones into (made in Drambo of course).

Just load the track in your preferred looper (Koala, Drambo, Loopy Pro) and let it play as long as you like and let me know if anything materializes from another dimension :)

Break down of track:
    Drums : PlayBeat 3
    Synths : All but 1, OP-1field, iOS synth Nambu + Loopy Pro for audio capture
    Theta Drone : Drambo (Oscillator Mini Tuned to 130+136 Hz) Hard Panned L/R+Mix
    Synth Track : Drambo Pitch Shift -0.32
    Master Track : reAmp + Grand Finale 2
    Recorded : AUM Loop capture
    Project File: Enjoy Your HeadSpace

• @echoopera said:
    Here's a little groovy loop in which I embedded some Theta Binaural tones into (made in Drambo of course).

Just load the track in your preferred looper (Koala, Drambo, Loopy Pro) and let it play as long as you like and let me know if anything materializes from another dimension :)

Lovely. I'm listening now.

• Many thanks. 🙏🏼💗

• @echoopera said:
    I am just learning myself after several years of cursory interest. For this particular track I set it to a 4Hz tone beneath the overall track...at a very low volume so as not to be noticeable...

I am going to be spending a bit more time trying to better understand the different ways songs can be composed to better take advantage and gel with these frequencies. What I am finding to be nice about this approach, is that I am slowing down a bit while laying down melodies, pads, and feeling the overall pacing of the track.

Fun stuff to explore :)

I love the idea of slowing down in music production.

Are there any particular binaural apps you recommend?

I looked for BB17, but it's not available in the UK.