Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Found a little production nugget?. Share it.

edited February 2021 in Other

Hope the title makes sense. Sometimes you encounter a little detail in production, something rare and unique that makes you smile. When one I hear I think to myself “that’s genius, I need to write it down” and never do. Thus this thread.

Comments

• First one (I hope not last)
    Awesome and peculiar panning on the drums. Seems like double or triple... there’s a whole kit hard panned to one side, but some elements like a kick in the center and some other hits here and there. It creates a wonderful and peculiar space.

• For my style of noise, [it’s not really unknown] layer the same vocal takes with each having a different fx. Truly adds some complexity and dynamics to your voice

• Press Record before you start playing your instrument.

• Dang @ecou . Just subscribed to this thread. ;)

Ok, since I'm here, I just tried one that's similar to @iOSTRAKON's. I had one Riffer (any MIDI seq will do) sending to a synth track and a perc track. So every synth hit had a underlying perc hit. I dug the effect. Combos are endless (e.g. send the same MIDI to multiple synths and a perc, render the combined audio, mangle it elsewhere).

• @ecamburn said:
    Dang @ecou . Just subscribed to this thread. ;)

Aren’t you happy you did ;)

I forget to press Record or arm the track all the time lol

• @tahiche said:
    First one (I hope not last)
    Awesome and peculiar panning on the drums. Seems like double or triple... there’s a whole kit hard panned to one side, but some elements like a kick in the center and some other hits here and there. It creates a wonderful and peculiar space.

Or you could just pan the whole drumset all the way over on the left side:

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    For my style of noise, [it’s not really unknown] layer the same vocal takes with each having a different fx. Truly adds some complexity and dynamics to your voice

I do this too. My favorite is to give one channel a phaser and the other none, and then mix them together. Or sometimes even a phaser on each channel with different settings.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@iOSTRAKON said:
    For my style of noise, [it’s not really unknown] layer the same vocal takes with each having a different fx. Truly adds some complexity and dynamics to your voice

I do this too. My favorite is to give one channel a phaser and the other none, and then mix them together. Or sometimes even a phaser on each channel with different settings.

Yeah I do this too. Not a huge fan of extreme vocals effects (can work in some situations though) but I do like variation, so I layer clean vocals with effected takes and mix up ‘real’ double tracking with ‘fake’ (copypaste+shift) double tracking throughout a passage. Our recent track SNOW FOX (check my last thread for link) has this technique on the vox.

@ecamburn said:
    Dang @ecou . Just subscribed to this thread. ;)

Ok, since I'm here, I just tried one that's similar to @iOSTRAKON's. I had one Riffer (any MIDI seq will do) sending to a synth track and a perc track. So every synth hit had a underlying perc hit. I dug the effect. Combos are endless (e.g. send the same MIDI to multiple synths and a perc, render the combined audio, mangle it elsewhere).

I do this a lot too and did it very prominently on our SNOW FOX track at the beginning and end. The synth pluck envelope riff has a sharp percussive attack added in rhythmic unison played on a ‘real’ instrument. I love the sound! Punchy and flavoursome.

• edited February 2021

Guitar —> multiband (blue mangoo) —> multiout (in AUM) each band gets its own effects IR etc
    Or
    Guitar —> multiple buss channels (in AUM) each with its own effects IR etc

DONT FORGET TO PAN

Tips not from me but from Steve Vai and señor PissyPants @Jamie_Mallender

• edited February 2021

Also this guy

IOS: AUM And MultiTrack recording Workflow

• edited February 2021

Layer the exact same clavinet tracks played an octave apart. Tight as fuck.

• Keep your volume lower initially when producing (you don’t need to crank it up, keep some headroom)
    To make it sound louder in the mastering stage.

• I’ve always very much enjoyed the panning at the beginning of Moving in Stereo.

Also, I super enjoy the technique used toward the beginning of both of these songs where they start with a low rhythmic sound and steadily speed it up, transitioning it into the lead synth. Not sure exactly how to replicate that but I love it.

• Copy and paste a section. Modulate all melodic parts up or down 3 semitones. Don't know the theory behind it but it almost always yields usable results.

• @DukeWonder said:
    I’ve always very much enjoyed the panning at the beginning of Moving in Stereo.

Also, I super enjoy the technique used toward the beginning of both of these songs where they start with a low rhythmic sound and steadily speed it up, transitioning it into the lead synth. Not sure exactly how to replicate that but I love it.

Nice examples!👍 The “tone ramp up” would de easy to do in Drambo. Either modulating the pitch or the speed if it’s a sample (speed sounds specially nice).

• edited February 2021

Work in stages (concept, structure, track, edit, mix, master), complete each stage as you go and don’t jump forward or back, work quickly, trust in first intuitions and take lots of breaks to go walk outside for a bit. Fix problems downstream by resolving evident issues in the earlier stages -- saves exponential time later.

If you can afford it, get someone else that you trust to master the track, or at least put their ears on it if you don’t have the budget.

• Reverse-reverb (Preverb?) never gets old.

You can do it live with 2 glitchcore instances in reverse mode with a reverb between them.

Try it with other FX too.
    Eg reverse compression etc.

• @jolico said:
    You can do it live with 2 glitchcore instances in reverse mode with a reverb between them.

Try it with other FX too.
    Eg reverse compression etc.

I’d love to see this, I have GlitchCore but never quite clicked with it.

• Play guitar parts at half speed an octave lower then pitch them up and double track.

• @BroCoast said:
    Play guitar parts at half speed an octave lower then pitch them up and double track.

A great tip!

• Another great use of panorama in the song Breaker by Low.

This is an amazing tune and production overall, as usual with Low. But there’s a specific detail that is specially beautiful at min 1:10.
    Up until that point everything is hard panned. Beat to the left, synth and vocals on the right, claps in center. At 1:10 Mimi’s vocal harmony comes in and it drenched in reverb, in some intermediate position, adding a whole new dimension and space. I find it serves a very specific purpose, it’s not just a gimmick, it really adds to the story telling.

• A related production tip/PSA - if you happen to be working on a project on your phone, please remember that whichever host you’re using has taken control of the phone’s audio system, and thus may not ring if you get any important phone calls.