Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Rig Midi to record Xequence2 using Piano Motifs as a source

Hi I wondered if anyone could help. I am trying to record live the output from Piano Motifs into Xequence2. What should I use as the source? Network does not appear to work. I have saved the midi and imported that directly into Xequence2 but only get a short one channel midi file, I have tried saving the midi file that says 2 midi file but still only get one. Sorry for being such a Newbie.
Cheers guys

Comments

• McDMcD
    edited February 2021

Save the 2 MIDI files into the Files App in a folder of your choice. I like to save 4-6 iterations of Piano Motifs to have 6 melodies and 6 accompaniments to work with later in a DAW or
    MIDI playback app.

This way you will get both files. Xequence expects a single MIDI file and when you merge both melody and accompaniment into a single file transfer Xeqeunce will put the 2 tracks on 2 channels. Writing to files gives you more control and you might want to import 12 files and
    then use the MIDI data to create songs with a lot of melodic variation. You will also find that multiple melodies with make interesting polyphonic compositions like this using 2 melodies and 1 accompaniment selected from a folder of 6 files:

My preferred MIDI playback tool for these workflows is the LK "Matrix" IAP.
    I can load a dozen files quickly and audition them for their suitability in a final version. For instrument loading I do all this in AUM for any DAW would work and also load the MIDI in most cases.

• @Toastedghost said:
    Hi I wondered if anyone could help. I am trying to record live the output from Piano Motifs into Xequence2. What should I use as the source? Network does not appear to work. I have saved the midi and imported that directly into Xequence2 but only get a short one channel midi file, I have tried saving the midi file that says 2 midi file but still only get one. Sorry for being such a Newbie.
    Cheers guys

I think if you save the two midi files to somewhere else first (like the Files app) you will get two separate midi files that you can get into Xequence. If you try to save the two files directly from PM into another app you only see one file for some reason.

• We could also ask @azul3D_Apps to add 2 additional file transfer options:

1) Save Melody MIDi file.
    2) Save Accompaniment MIDi File.

Then you could pass them one at a time into Xequence 2 or another receiving DAW app
    and skip the "files" save step.

He has been very good at adding new features and getting "tips" in the app for the effort to
    fund more updates with our requests.

• @McD said:
    We could also ask @azul3D_Apps to add 2 additional file transfer options:

1) Save Melody MIDi file.
    2) Save Accompaniment MIDi File.

@azul3D_Apps has agreed to add this feature to Piano Motifs. Probably take a week or 2 to get out the next update... A new version of Piano Motifs (v2.19) is out today. This version has the following new features:

• Added support for User Defined Melody Constraints. This allows the user to define the scale tones to be used in a motif.
    • Added new accompaniments.
    • Added passing chords for certain chord accompaniments.
    • Enabled repeat sequences for progressions with borrowed chords.
    • Added new chord progressions.

• Piano Motifs is using Apple's iOS API for exporting the two files. It works for apps like Mail, Airdrop, Messages and Save to Files. I believe this is an issue with the receiving apps (BM3, Xsequence2, etc) not being able to receive 2 files in one export action.
    As @McD mentioned, I will try to have 2 extra exporting options (MIDI Melody, MIDI Accomp) in the next version. Hopefully this will help in your workflow.

• @Toastedghost said:
    Cheers guys

@Toastedghost,
    To clarify something in your original post, when you select MIDI as the export option, PM generates a MIDI file with 3 tracks:

• Track0 contains the tempo and time signature
    • Track1 contains the melody notes
    • Track2 contains the accompany notes

I remember someone was having the same problem in BM3 and they were able to solve it by loading a sound in two separate pads.

I don't have Xequence2 but here is a link to the Xequence2 manual. It describes the different options for importing MIDI files.
    http://www.seven.systems/xequence/manual/#midi-import-export

Hope this helps

• @azul3D_Apps said:
    I don't have Xequence2 but here is a link to the Xequence2 manual. It describes the different options for importing MIDI files.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Here's the link to the corresponding section in the Xequence 2 manual, some things have changed:

http://seven.systems/xequence2/en/manual/#section-15

I didn't even know receiving multiple files via a share sheet was a thing. See, that's why I hate implementing support for strange third-party APIs :D

• @SevenSystems said:
    See, that's why I hate implementing support for strange third-party APIs :D

There's a workaround for this issue and you shouldn't need to change your MIDI file
    processing. Users can save the 2 MIDI files to the Files app and import them in turn into Xequence. I use this method for LK which is an AUv3 MIDI player. I'll probably do the same for Atom 2 when it drops.

I was using Musk MIDI player and it would accept a 2 channel MIDI file and assign the music to channels 1 and 2. I think that was several update back and Xequence 2 at that point also imported the 2 channel MIDI file in a single import and both channels were merged in a single track in Xequence 2.

There's a pretty small user base for Piano Motifs but with developer effort it could grow overtime. It's the only app I'm aware of that has a "tip" button in the app... others have claimed Apple insists IAP's provide something tangible. But I'd often tip AUM and some of my other favorite app developers when they issue important updates.

I still tend to avoid Xequence 2 due to interoperability issues related to GUI task switching
    but I'm a lazy slacker that seeks the easiest workflow possible. But there's an army just like me.

• @SevenSystems said:

@azul3D_Apps said:

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Here's the link to the corresponding section in the Xequence 2 manual, some things have changed:

I didn't even know receiving multiple files via a share sheet was a thing. See, that's why I hate implementing support for strange third-party APIs :D

Hi @SevenSystems, thanks for the updated link.

The OP, @Toastedghost, was having issues even when saving a single MIDI file which has the 3 tracks mentioned above (tempo/time signature track0, melody track1, accompaniment track2) and then importing to Xequence2. Do you have any suggestion for him?

Thanks

• edited February 2021

@azul3D_Apps said:

@SevenSystems said:

@azul3D_Apps said:

The OP, @Toastedghost, was having issues even when saving a single MIDI file which has the 3 tracks mentioned above (tempo/time signature track0, melody track1, accompaniment track2) and then importing to Xequence2. Do you have any suggestion for him?

Thanks

As long as the MIDI file actually contains three separate track chunks (MTrk), they should import as separate tracks into Xequence. However, if they only contain a single MTrk chunk, but with separate channels in the MIDI data, these won't be separated into tracks (support for this is planned for a future update).

EDIT: If you hand me an example file from your app, I'll gladly check it out!

• @SevenSystems said:

@azul3D_Apps said:

@SevenSystems said:

@azul3D_Apps said:

Thanks

As long as the MIDI file actually contains three separate track chunks (MTrk), they should import as separate tracks into Xequence. However, if they only contain a single MTrk chunk, but with separate channels in the MIDI data, these won't be separated into tracks (support for this is planned for a future update).

EDIT: If you hand me an example file from your app, I'll gladly check it out!

Piano Motifs creates a MIDI file in the MIDI File 1 format, which seems to be what Xequence supports. I'll send you the MIDI file to your contact e-mail as I can't upload it here.
    Thanks

• @Toastedghost said:
    Cheers guys

Hey. I've just tried to import a test file that @azul3D_Apps kindly sent to me, and it imported the tracks separately as intended:

I wonder if something else might be going on. Could you briefly describe what options / buttons you used to load the file into Xequence so I can get a better idea what might be wrong?