Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

No drone unturned - Monolithic Undertow - new book about drone music

Comments

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    I made a drone last night featuring Borderlands. I was in a dark place.

I'm sure the making of this helped to exorcise whatever demons you were struggling with

• Forgot DM2 as a honorable mention. It has a ‚Drone Machine‘ mode which is pretty good although more on the noise side of things.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    Forgot DM2 as a honorable mention. It has a ‚Drone Machine‘ mode which is pretty good although more on the noise side of things.

As u have been reading this drone book and thinking about the history of drones, while working on my Swam Brass videos, I have been struck by how perfect these are for droning. The earliest drones were probably made with animal Horns, the early ancestors of all the brass. And being mpe, these allow for very expressive droning indeed.

• edited February 2021

@Gavinski said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:
    Forgot DM2 as a honorable mention. It has a ‚Drone Machine‘ mode which is pretty good although more on the noise side of things.

As u have been reading this drone book and thinking about the history of drones, while working on my Swam Brass videos, I have been struck by how perfect these are for droning. The earliest drones were probably made with animal Horns, the early ancestors of all the brass. And being mpe, these allow for very expressive droning indeed.

Droning with brass always makes me think of:

• I really want to like sunn o))) but I don't haha. They're just a bit too boring for me. Maybe I would have to see them live on a really killer sound system to get them. That said, the brass near the end is easily the most interesting part for me haha

• Totally different, but when it comes to drones it is hard to beat a bit of uillean pipes.

As for apps, apesoft accordion is probably one well worth adding to that list

• @Gavinski said:

A flute made from a vulture bone was found in southern Germany and dated to around 40k years ago. Blows my mind

https://phys.org/news/2009-06-prehistoric-flute-germany-oldest.html

• A more visually interesting example. I love this instrument. Would love to see apesoft make a version of these haha, but that would definitely be niche to the extreme

@Gavinski said:

A flute made from a vulture bone was found in southern Germany and dated to around 40k years ago. Blows my mind

Yup! Literally read that yesterday in that drone book!

• I saw SUNN 0))) live in 2019. Definitely the loudest thing I’ve ever heard - not as much chest-thumping impact as a really loud techno set, more of a continuous molecular activation. You really get a sense of the air as a fluid medium. Definitely worth doing once, if you like that sort of thing, but I probably wouldn’t run to do it again.

Uilleann pipes are lovely, though personally I’m partial to the Highland pipes, which I suppose are fighting words to an Irishman. 😄 My favorite folk-drone instrument is definitely the hardingfele, though. Looking forward to the SWAM strings apps so that I can mess around with emulating one.

• Haven't heard of that instrument, will check it out!

I'm beyond excited by the swam world instruments that should come out in the next year or two!

• edited February 2021

I pre-ordered it in October....
    Arrived yesterday!

• Sweet! Such a well-named book!

• @celtic_elk , I used to have a cd of A Hundred Hardanger Tunes by Geirr Tveitt which has some nice music in it. The Hardanger fiddle is another name for Hardingfele.
    Re drones, moodunits Waverley e.g. Emoebo and Evoebo packs produce some excellent droney sounds

• The cool thing about drones and ambient drone compositions is that there are literally thousands (probably ;)) approaches and ideas how to get to them, and implement them. its an incredible creative field of sound design and approach.

• @Gavinski said:

@Gavinski said:

In a similar vein a 18k year old conch horn. For some reason these articles never include sound samples:

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/7/7/eabe9510

@Gavinski said:

@Gavinski said:

In a similar vein a 18k year old conch horn. For some reason these articles never include sound samples:

Video with short description and sound example.

• @Gavinski said:

@Gavinski said:

@Gavinski said:

Video with short description and sound example.

Thanks. And then the idiot reporter flaps her gums over the actual subject of her report, the sound of the horn 🙄

• This is how you do it:

• Thanks for sharing. I think there is a lot of truth in this line:

And – very often – the music that specifically labels itself as ‘drone music’ or ‘ambient music’ is rather dull, because the producer is coming at it from a position of knowing the end point before they even start. I.e the influences are coming from a very small pool.

• https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/feb/16/blood-sacrifice-the-rise-of-dark-nordic-folk-heilung-wardruna?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
    I see certain kinds of drone music are capable of stirring up a bit of a storm in the Guardian comments section lol

• This album has some excellent ambient / drone / jazz

• @Gavinski said:
    This album has some excellent ambient / drone / jazz

Bro...

• @Gavinski said:
    @Philandering_Bastard super nice, huh?

That, too. Was riffing off of the composer’s name.

• Lol, that flew over my head, well done!

• 3 top drone apps

1. Shoom
    2. Shoom
    3. Shoom
  • @MonkeyDrummer said:
    3 top drone apps

1. Shoom
    2. Shoom
    3. Shoom

Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo Droneo

• @Gavinski said:
    Just saw this article on a new book about drone music in the Guardian now.

In that Guardian article there is a link to an album by French musique concrète pioneer Eliane Radigue ... well worth a listen ... and there is also a great documentary about her, in which she discusses her creative process and influences.