Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Rebeccah / SWAM Ballad

edited February 2021 in Creations

I discovered one can adjust the mute distance (duh). It’s great that all the effects can be done after the fact by tapping R/W and adding effects as the prerecorded midi track plays thru. No need for MPE to get the desired effects.

SWAM Flugelhorn, PureSynthPlatinum guitar, Jubal Flute, iFretless acoustic bass and Ravenscroft 275.

Comments

• 👍
    Enjoyed it!
    Such a huge contrast in detail/expression between modelled and static samples.

• That Jubal Flute can get low in pitch... but then the recorded vibrato ruins the effect on long notes. I wish they would always record pure pitches. Alas. The vibrato sounds great on the recorded note.

I also was waiting for the flugelhorn horn to take a breath. It took a good while...

These pictures of young girls are making these NSFW. I get “Who’s that?” Comments and I must be careful with my reply. I’m trying “not sure. It came with the picture frame.” Seems facile. I can’t say “my friend likes me on the young side”. Not as young as Donald’s party buddy. But young. Next time use a current picture of a female Senator or VP. I wish Feinstein would hang it up. So embarrassing. But she’s loaded and will run until she falls over.
    Sometimes me should make a law about term limits and tack on language to protect against sampling with vibrato. The pass it after killing the filibuster .

As you were.

• Great sounds as usual @LinearLineman . I much prefer the Flugelhorn to the Trumpet. Favourite player was Kenny Wheeler, especially his stuff for ECM, probably my favourite label. Worth checking out if anybody hasn’t heard him.

• Thank you @0tolerance4silence and @GeoTony. Glad you enjoyed it. I think Art Farmer was the first guy I heard p lay a flugelhorn.

LOL, @McD and @CapnWillie,have you never heard of circle breathing?? I am a keyboard master of the technique! Seriously, it slipped my mind I was supposed to be playing an actual instrument...but the truth, IMO, is that these SWAMs are much better, but are far from the real thing. I am not fully utilizing the capabilities, for sure, but every demo video I have listened to is not convincing. There was one from AudioModeling that emulated Armstrong’s sound and that was the best I’ve heard.

I don’t find myself driven to get a lot of these, but a French Horn and Trombone will probably be in order.

• Nice Mike!

I think I’ll get the Flugelhorn, the regular one? Once I figure out why I’d need it over the regular Trumpet. The regular one. So there’s two different Flugelhorns, two different Trumpets... sigh

I really have no idea which one to get! I only need ONE! (Right?)

• @GeoTony said:
    I much prefer the Flugelhorn to the Trumpet.

Can I ask why, and how can you tell the difference?

• Nice Mike! Yeah, hard to remember those things like breath. God knows, learning to play these things well would be a lot of work.

@Intrepolicious said:

@GeoTony said:

You should know the difference now that you have watched my vid lol! The flugelhorn is mellower than the trumpet.

• @Intrepolicious , @Gavinski has answered really. Mellower, richer, breathier (although this may be more the playing style) I equate it to violin vs viola i.e. even playing the same note the viola just has more body, depth etc Same with trumpet vs flugelhorn. Just my view...

• @Gavinski said:
    Nice Mike! Yeah, hard to remember those things like breath. God knows, learning to play these things well would be a lot of work.

@Intrepolicious said:

@GeoTony said:

You should know the difference now that you have watched my vid lol! The flugelhorn is mellower than the trumpet.

Must admit I only skimmed through your video so far. Once I own one (or more) of these bad boys I’ll be going back to watch in detail.

So if the Flugelhorn is “mellower” than the trumpet, what about Flugelhorn vs Flugelhorn Eb?

• Unless I am remembering them the wrong way round, the Eb has a lower range

• McDMcD
    edited February 2021

@Intrepolicious said:
    So if the Flugelhorn is “mellower” than the trumpet, what about Flugelhorn vs Flugelhorn Eb?

Trumpet is mostly cylindrical over the course of the tube.
    Fluegelhorn has more conical (gently expanding diameter to the tube)

The result is a shift in the harmonic amplitudes of the resulting overtones.
    The trumpet is "brighter" with more highs and @Gavinski has made a video to demo the differences

The Eb Flugelhorn has extra tubing to play additional lower notes and generally larger
    bore tubing for even more lows in the mix. In the physical world this instrument sounds like
    a very mellow trombone-range instrument called the Mellophone. It uses valves like all the
    trumpets and not the glissando friendly slide mechanism of the trombone. Vave-based trombones also exist.

The trombone (largely due to the slide) is a cylindrical instrument and shifts the EQ towards the highs while the Eb Flugelhorn is a Conical design with a shift towards the mid's for a mellow tone.

In my opinion: Get the Fluegelhorn unless you love Trumpet fanfares which benefit from the bite of the cylindrical tubing. Think Reveille or Taps or Starwars "Hero's Celebration" and that's the trumpet and trombone. But for an emotional solo instrument with a gentle touch... get the Fluegelhorn(s).

• The flugelhorn is lovely. McD, do you have any opinions on which of these various brass instruments are easier to play realistically on a keyboard?

• @McD said:

@Intrepolicious said:

The trumpet is "brighter" with more highs and @Gavinski has made a video to demo the differences

The Eb Flugelhorn has extra tubing to play additional lower notes and generally larger
    bore tubing for even more lows in the mix. In the physical world this instrument sounds like
    a very mellow trombone-range instrument called the Mellophone. It uses valves like all the
    trumpets and not the glissando friendly slide mechanism of the trombone. Vave-based trombones also exist.

The trombone (largely due to the slide) is a cylindrical instrument and shifts the EQ towards the highs while the Eb Flugelhorn is a Conical design with a shift towards the mid's for a mellow tone.

In my opinion: Get the Fluegelhorn unless you love Trumpet fanfares which benefit from the bite of the cylindrical tubing. Think Reveille or Taps or Starwars "Hero's Celebration" and that's the trumpet and trombone. But for an emotional solo instrument with a gentle touch... get the Fluegelhorn(s).

Thank you @McD

So I could cover a lot of ground with the Eb Flugelhorn and the reg Trumpet. Maybe a third being a Trombone...

Too bad we can’t put our own bundles together, like “pick 3 for $50” or something like that.

• @Intrepolicious said:

@McD said:

@Intrepolicious said:

Thank you @McD

So I could cover a lot of ground with the Eb Flugelhorn and the reg Trumpet. Maybe a third being a Trombone...

Too bad we can’t put our own bundles together, like “pick 3 for $50” or something like that.

Of only apple allowed this kind of flexibility. Has any dev ever had any bundles like that?

• @Gavinski said:
    Unless I am remembering them the wrong way round, the Eb has a lower range.

@Gavinski said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@McD said:

@Intrepolicious said:

Thank you @McD

Of only apple allowed this kind of flexibility. Has any dev ever had any bundles like that?

Would be a cool idea though, no?

• @Gavinski said:
    The flugelhorn is lovely. McD, do you have any opinions on which of these various brass instruments are easier to play realistically on a keyboard?

I like my brass with minimal expression... just a touch of delayed reverb. So, I'm OK
    with all of them set up that way and to be honest I keep digging into Generative Apps
    that behave musically... like Riffer, Piano Motifs, Fugue Machine often run through Moziac
    scripts to drop notes or humanize the playing.

The @Linearlineman's demo of the Flugelhornhorn and very convincing without him digging into expression and they gain more nuance when he does start to consider doing a second pass to focus on adding expression via mute movement.

I think realism comes with the product and most of us are capable of destroying the illusion
    in some way... either by forgetting to breathe or layering on too many expression options.
    I used MIDI learn for Rozeta LFO and mapped it to growl and flutter tongue and vibrato and
    made a trumpet sound like a 1st year student. Sometimes you want that for comic effect, I guess.

But I love the pure pitch and perfect articulations of these instruments right out of the box.
    It takes years to get to that level of perfection with these demanding instruments and those really, really high notes take incredible physical conditioning to generate the pressure needed. High-note trumpets artists do thousands of sit-ups to maintain their core. With SWAN you just need more than a 2 octave controller.

• Thanks for listening @Intrepolicious and @Pxlhg. And thank you @McD and @Gavinski for the knowledge you both bring to the picnic.