Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Something new from FAC Drumkit.

Comments

• edited January 2022

@Poppadocrock said:
    I love this app for several reasons, it’s lightweight, which is high on that list. I have plenty of sequencers, this app doesn’t need one. Helps keep it lightweight too. Loving this update.

Totally agree. I’m a huge fan of the Unix philosophy: build modular lightweight programs that do one thing and do that well. Especially for a single developer project it’s better to keep focus. I can understand that what @tahiche said that it’s nice to get something going quickly but honestly it’s just not even a minute to load Drumkit and your favorite sequencer into AUM and wire them up.

• pitch bend please! which virtual midi parameters map to DK? can the envelopes scale off velocity?

• Just paired this with Octachron, and oh ho, what a treat

• @vasilymilovidov said:
    i have a feeling that most of the people who are frustrated with drumkit use it to achieve some sort of realistic or natural drum sound and feel.

You’re right, because there’s no high quality natural sounding acoustic drums on iOS.

• @Jeezs said:

@vasilymilovidov said:
    i have a feeling that most of the people who are frustrated with drumkit use it to achieve some sort of realistic or natural drum sound and feel.

You’re right, because there’s no high quality natural sounding acoustic drums on iOS.

There are plenty in GarageBand.

• @Samu said:
    There's plenty of pads, so there's nothing stopping us from creating multiple variations of the sounds and sequencing them instead of layering them on one pad?! (For example use a Mosaic script to trigger a different pads based on velocity).

FAC Drumkit is manly a 'drum synth' not a sample re-player...

Good point.

• edited January 2022

@vasilymilovidov said:

@wim said:

@Poppadocrock said:

@wim said:

@Jeezs said:
    is it possible to layer samples based on velocities or round robin or anything else(oscillator param, filters value to velocities or random changes) to make drum sound feel more natural?
    Thanks

No layers, velocities, or round robin. No builtin randomization. Plenty of AU parameters are exposed, so you could use external apps to do some of switching up.

What do you mean no built in randomization?

No way built-into the app to vary the sound by [modulating] "anything else(oscillator param, filters value to velocities or random changes) to make drum sound feel more natural".

What do you think I meant?

by randomization people usually mean random shuffling of parameters to create new sound. and drumkit 2.0 has this.

There can be different types of randomize in an app, like preset selection or preset creation. Sorry for confusion, I was like huh, it does have randomization with the update.

Looks like Everything is exposed in AUM. To cc, trigger, etc…

I’m confused. Lol.

• I liked the app before the update, I love the app now.

• Yes it has become the go-to. 16 instruments, perfectly sequenceable by polybeat. Finally a complete, elegant drum solution for iOS. The only thing I’ll still keep around is Seekbeats cause I just love those snares.

• wimwim
    edited January 2022

@oat_phipps said:
    Yes it has become the go-to. 16 instruments, perfectly sequenceable by polybeat. Finally a complete, elegant drum solution for iOS. The only thing I’ll still keep around is Seekbeats cause I just love those snares.

Yep. Sometimes I'll reach for Hammerhead because it's quick as hell, and so fun, to get something satisfying going, but if I really want to craft a sound it's DrumKit all the way. There's always Drum Perfect Pro if I feel the need for more nuanced realism.

• @wim said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Yes it has become the go-to. 16 instruments, perfectly sequenceable by polybeat. Finally a complete, elegant drum solution for iOS. The only thing I’ll still keep around is Seekbeats cause I just love those snares.

Yep. Sometimes I'll reach for Hammerhead because it's quick as hell, and so fun, to get something satisfying going, but if I really want to craft a sound it's DrumKit all the way. There's always Drum Perfect Pro if I feel the need for more nuanced realism.

Forgot about that one, def keepin anything bram. It’s just sooo so fast for simple jams.

• edited January 2022

Apologies, just posted something in the wrong place. Please don’t stab me. :)

• @Jamie_Mallender said:

To stab sometime is indeed a rather musical type of punishment, but not the only one. You can also kick them or pluck them. 🤓

• I'm not a sound designer... do you think we can set up a "PatchStorage" project and get more Presets and sample content? Is there enough interest in taking this path to get more
    out of this obviously powerful app. I was a little shocked to get the update and not really notice what has changed since I just see 5 presets and before there were 5 presets.

Anyway... let me know why I should be glad I jumped in before the update.

• @McD said:
    I'm not a sound designer... do you think we can set up a "PatchStorage" project and get more Presets and sample content? Is there enough interest in taking this path to get more
    out of this obviously powerful app. I was a little shocked to get the update and not really notice what has changed since I just see 5 presets and before there were 5 presets.

That's a good idea! I'm working on putting together a preset based on samples of my Volca Beats, it'd be fun to have somewhere to share it.

That said, you should have seven factory presets with the 2.x version

• @mjm1138 said:

@McD said:
    I'm not a sound designer... do you think we can set up a "PatchStorage" project and get more Presets and sample content? Is there enough interest in taking this path to get more

That's a good idea! I'm working on putting together a preset based on samples of my Volca Beats, it'd be fun to have somewhere to share it.

I just looked at PatchStorage. You can suggest a new "platform" to add and it may get added depending on community votes. They say you should have five or more presets ready to go before submitting the request. So I'm not qualified :smile: but if someone else starts a platform there I will gladly contribute.

• @mjm1138 said:

@McD said:

Fred actually asked about it on Twitter, myself and someone else strongly recommend patch storage. He seemed like he was leaning toward doing it. Maybe another tweet or 2, or just ask him if you can set it up for voting… I really hope it gets a Patchstorage page. I’ll vote immediately.

• @Poppadocrock said:

@McD said:
    I'm not a sound designer... do you think we can set up a "PatchStorage" project and get more Presets and sample content?

Fred actually asked about it on Twitter, myself and someone else strongly recommend patch storage. He seemed like he was leaning toward doing it. Maybe another tweet or 2, or just ask him if you can set it up for voting… I really hope it gets a Patchstorage page. I’ll vote immediately.

Looked into his twitter feed and couldn't find it. Any links appreciated if you see it.

• @mjm1138 said:
    I just looked at PatchStorage. You can suggest a new "platform" to add and it may get added depending on community votes. They say you should have five or more presets ready to go before submitting the request. So I'm not qualified :smile: but if someone else starts a platform there I will gladly contribute.

OK... does the app support easy import/export of presets? Is there a video tutorial for importing sounds and making user presets? I guess leading the parade means you'd have to be a sound designer. I did it for AudioLayer back in the SynthJacker days before AudioLayer added the auto-sampler feature.

• @FredAntonCorvest Thanks for the wonderful update. I knew the preset manager was being moved but didn't realise it was being removed from the standalone. That is a real shame personally as that's the place where I would tinker and create, but not much point now without any save. Is there a technical reason why the preset manager can't exist in both versions?

• @ervin said:

@Jamie_Mallender said:

To stab sometime is indeed a rather musical type of punishment, but not the only one. You can also kick them or pluck them. 🤓

Haha! Love it!

• Very glad to read that you enjoy FAC Drumkit and the new free update!

@Samu said:
    I can't help but to think of an addition of ring modulation (ie. multiply the oscillators osc1*osc2) to the synthesis engine with separate pitch envelope per oscillator?

Nice suggestions!

@realdawei said:
    the new responsive design is pure excellence….and many thanks for the hex toggle :smile:

As promised :)

@Jeezs said:
    If lots of params are exposed it’s a very good starting point.

As mentioned in the documentation of FAC Drumkit since the release "Warning with the exposed params, the following list of parameters can be altered by external sources set in AUM (for all the voices): oscs hpf/lpf(+q), osc2 pitch ratio, sampler hpf/q /lpf/q and voice level. Warning: some hosts are forcing the listing of all parameters! The parameters not mentioned in the previous list are not supported" => In the future those "private" parameters won't be visible anymore in all hosts.

@wim said:
    I love it for enhancing real drum samples. You can add so much more punch, body, whatever you feel will make each sample better.

Definitely the way to go to enhance your existing samples packs! Take your favourite snare, apply filter pitch alteration, add body thanks to the synth section (and the templates by category)... Or load the same sample into the 16 voices and do different alteration, you will be surprised by the result! You can spend hours redesigning what you already have.

@Ailerom said:
    @FredAntonCorvest Thanks for the wonderful update. I knew the preset manager was being moved but didn't realise it was being removed from the standalone. That is a real shame personally as that's the place where I would tinker and create, but not much point now without any save. Is there a technical reason why the preset manager can't exist in both versions?

The goal is to use Drumkit with other synths and control it with external midi, thanks to the responsive UI you can even maximise the view to get the same version (UI) as the standalone one in AUM or any other hosts. My focus (and it will be the case for all the series) is AuV3 all the way. The standalone for Drumkit is a factory only version. Please simply open AUM or other host and add Drumkit as main instrument.

@McD said:
    OK... does the app support easy import/export of presets? Is there a video tutorial for importing sounds and making user presets?

Yes available in the preset menu, long press to import or export. Maybe some videos about importing/exporting/customising existing sound.. will be made by the community.

Regarding PatchStorage, I did not take the time to register FAC Drumkit yet. I'll do it :)

Sorry to not answer all the questions please follow me on https://twitter.com/fac_corvest a lot of information are available about my products.

Already a happy user? Leave a ★★★★★ review on the App Store, or launch Drumkit here and support FAC

• @FredAntonCorvest said:

@Ailerom said:
    @FredAntonCorvest Thanks for the wonderful update. I knew the preset manager was being moved but didn't realise it was being removed from the standalone. That is a real shame personally as that's the place where I would tinker and create, but not much point now without any save. Is there a technical reason why the preset manager can't exist in both versions?

The goal is to use Drumkit with other synths and control it with external midi, thanks to the responsive UI you can even maximise the view to get the same version (UI) as the standalone one in AUM or any other hosts. My focus (and it will be the case for all the series) is AuV3 all the way. The standalone for Drumkit is a factory only version. Please simply open AUM or other host and add Drumkit as main instrument.

That is unfortunately not the way I work. As a guitarist I have always developed sounds before writing. When putting a song together that last thing I want to waste my time on is sound design. Tweaking the sounds I had in my head is ok but I want that time to be focused on writing. I am usually able to get away with tweaking sounds after arranging and during mixing.

• @Ailerom said:

@FredAntonCorvest said:

@Ailerom said:

That is unfortunately not the way I work. As a guitarist I have always developed sounds before writing. When putting a song together that last thing I want to waste my time on is sound design. Tweaking the sounds I had in my head is ok but I want that time to be focused on writing. I am usually able to get away with tweaking sounds after arranging and during mixing.

Soon you’ll be able to download custom patches for DrumKit from PatchStorage anyway, so… either way, it’s your call.

• edited January 2022

@Ailerom said:

@FredAntonCorvest said:

@Ailerom said:

Just open Drumkit in AUM to do sound design. It’s not significantly different to opening a standalone.

• @anickt said:

@Ailerom said:

@FredAntonCorvest said:

@Ailerom said:

Just open Drumkit in AUM to do sound design. It’s not significantly different to opening a standalone.

Fair enough. I don't have another option so will give it a go. Is there a way to have a FAC Drumkit preset so I can just open AUM and a preset?

• I woul> @Ailerom said:

@anickt said:

@Ailerom said:

@FredAntonCorvest said:

@Ailerom said:

Fair enough. I don't have another option so will give it a go. Is there a way to have a FAC Drumkit preset so I can just open AUM and a preset?

You can create a Default preset in AUM that opens your saved session.

• I've saw few people on here mentioning using playbeat with fac drumkit. Is there much crossover or similarities with drumcomputer? It's my go to and I'm not looking to replace but I'd like another drum synth and sequencing option and wondered if there was differences and worth owning both. Playbeat and fac drumkit would be over £20 so would want it to be a worthwhile purchase if already owning drum computer

Thanks for any insights 😀😃

• And is anyone triggering fac drumkit with drum computer sequencer?

Thanks

• @muzka said:
    And is anyone triggering fac drumkit with drum computer sequencer?

Thanks

I haven’t used Playbeat so I won’t comment on that. I prefer Polybeat to the DC sequencer just because it supports 16 channels, but I totally get how the DC sequencer would be appealing. In my opinion, FAC Drumkit is different enough sonically from Drum Computer for it to be worth owning both. I personally think it’s easier to get good results from tweaking with FAC Drumkit but again, they’re different. I like them both.