Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Something new from FAC Drumkit.

Comments

• edited October 2021

I’ve been playing with adding my own samples to Drumkit recently. It’s great but the patch and file handling seems odd. Thought I’d drag up this thread as I know there’s some talk of it here.

I created a test kit on iPhone with some samples. I then loaded Drumkit in AUM, moved to that patch, and saved the AUM preset.

I then transferred the AUM preset to iPad and opened it. Seemingly nothing transferred across for Drumkit, it just defaulted back to the first kit in the bank.

I’m used to the samples not being saved in the auv3, although Koala and Loopy Pro both save and transfer everything with the AUM preset.

However, it seems odd to not save anything about the current kit to the auv3 session?

It’s a shame because I’ll use the built in patches but never bother with my own if they can’t easily be moved around.

Any chance of making it store samples and kits to an auv3 session like Koala etc? @FredAntonCorvest

• You can save the presets locally to AUM (with users samples as well) but if you move the AUM session file to another device it will be impossible to retrieve your users samples. I do not store the samples, I create secured links.

I suggest you to save your user presets via FAC Drumkit, and if you plan to move to another devices follow the attached procedure

It was the procedure for the migration but it's similar for export/import (check 1.2 in the graph). Export from the source device and import to the destination device. It will create a set of portable folders per user presets (containing a copy of the samples).

Important: You have to use the standalone app, when you do the import on the new device you have to select the root folder yourself in the app (required to create the secured links).

Hope it helps,

• @FredAntonCorvest said:
    You can save the presets locally to AUM (with users samples as well) but if you move the AUM session file to another device it will be impossible to retrieve your users samples. I do not store the samples, I create secured links.

I suggest you to save your user presets via FAC Drumkit, and if you plan to move to another devices follow the attached procedure

It was the procedure for the migration but it's similar for export/import (check 1.2 in the graph). Export from the source device and import to the destination device. It will create a set of portable folders per user presets (containing a copy of the samples).

Important: You have to use the standalone app, when you do the import on the new device you have to select the root folder yourself in the app (required to create the secured links).

Hope it helps,

Thanks Fred. This is a bit awkward compared to other apps to be honest, but the rest of the app is amazing so I guess I’ll make do. What made you decide to not copy the samples into the app? As a rule they’re less than 1 second right? So hardly gonna be big files?

• @gregsmith said:

@FredAntonCorvest said:
    You can save the presets locally to AUM (with users samples as well) but if you move the AUM session file to another device it will be impossible to retrieve your users samples. I do not store the samples, I create secured links.

Hope it helps,

>

Thanks Fred. This is a bit awkward compared to other apps to be honest, but the rest of the app is amazing so I guess I’ll make do. What made you decide to not copy the samples into the app? As a rule they’re less than 1 second right? So hardly gonna be big files?

Backing them up to iCloud automatically would’ve made sense.

• @NeuM said:

@gregsmith said:

@FredAntonCorvest said:

Hope it helps,

>

Yes! That would be great

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @gregsmith said:

@NeuM said:

@gregsmith said:

@FredAntonCorvest said:

Hope it helps,

>

Yes! That would be great

+1

• Please, just one choke group for open/closed hihat samples?

And much less of a big deal, but any chance of getting the one-second sample limit upped? For them crashes and rides ya know.

• +1 on both points, especially the first.

• Did someone mention choke groups 🙏

• Still say 11.99 intro price. Is that correct or was it cheaper I launch?

• @no1normal said:
    Still say 11.99 intro price. Is that correct or was it cheaper I launch?

In US dollars I believe it’s been $13.99 since release.

• @FredAntonCorvest

Any chance of a choke group?

• FAC drumkit is very nice but it needs a little work to make it truly useful IMO.

I would like to respectfully +1 for choke groups. It's an essential feature on a drumsynth.

Also, it would be nice if we could select a specific audio output for each voice, so that we can create our own logical output busses.

The sound quality is very good and I like the simplicity of control, however with only volume mapped to velocity, it can sound rather static. It could use more dynamic control, for example, allowing the user to map velocity - via a range parameter - to the filter cutoffs, attack/decay of the envelopes, and Osc 2 ratio.

I understand the reasoning behind the 1 sec sample length limitation, but sometimes I wish it was a little longer for cymbals.

• edited November 2021

Yeah, the last point is my second biggest gripe after no chokes. I thought the 1-sec would be fine, then I realized I like to use rides and crashes more than I thought, despite usually keeping things very simple. Plus, with the excess of 16 instruments after being limited to 8 by Patterning all these years, I’d really like to be able to take full advantage of a giant kit.

Trimming the amp env using the proper curve on the release on cymbals and rides usually works ok and sounds pretty natural, but it’s still something I wish I didn’t have to do.

I find the eerie silence from FAC himself in here suggests not to be so hopeful for these two things, but man it would really complete it and I feel like they’re well within the scope of the app.

• For what it’s worth, I stopped using FAC because of the lack of modulation options and choke groups. It’s a wicked app but in practice these make huge difference and I always found myself getting frustrated with it

• @ronnieb said:
    For what it’s worth, I stopped using FAC because of the lack of modulation options and choke groups. It’s a wicked app but in practice these make huge difference and I always found myself getting frustrated with it

It’s definitely the most “wtf? This is incomplete” thing he’s released.

• edited November 2021

Obviously I would need the upgrades you are complaining about but bought because sb drum couldnt save kits + high cpu just for a kick. So for my use case. 16 kick drums etc per channel. Probably worth the money for how easy I can make kick drums.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Yeah, the last point is my second biggest gripe after no chokes. I thought the 1-sec would be fine, then I realized I like to use rides and crashes more than I thought, despite usually keeping things very simple. Plus, with the excess of 16 instruments after being limited to 8 by Patterning all these years, I’d really like to be able to take full advantage of a giant kit.

Trimming the amp env using the proper curve on the release on cymbals and rides usually works ok and sounds pretty natural, but it’s still something I wish I didn’t have to do.

I find the eerie silence from FAC himself in here suggests not to be so hopeful for these two things, but man it would really complete it and I feel like they’re well within the scope of the app.

I suspect he’s probably pretty busy at his new job at the electric car startup he joined.

• Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of samples you can load into each slot on a kit?

The manual says "You can load a total of 16 users samples, one sample (max 1sec) per voice."

Isn't really clear to me if that means you can have 1 sample loaded per voice, total of 16 samples playing max. Or if it's a hard limit, 16 total samples per kit?

It definitely doesn't stop you from loading a lot of samples into each voice slot, which was my plan originally. Wanted to have a nice library of samples loaded into the kit and be able to browser through them each time.

That set up seems to work most of the time but I have also had persistent errors where the samples selection starts showing "param error." Seems like it loses track of the reference to the sample file and the kit gets corrupted. Have had it happen 4 or 5 times now and once it starts it happening it persists and I have to rebuild the whole kit.

• @NeuM said:

@oat_phipps said:

I suspect he’s probably pretty busy at his new job at the electric car startup he joined.

Haha, that’s brambos if I’m not mistaken

• I’m sure @FredAntonCorvest will get to it.

Has anyone ever contacted him on instagram or whatever?

• Users Samples:

For information: no copy, only secured bookmarks.

Indeed the import/export via the standalone app is not ideal.
    I’m already working on a better management of the import/export within the AuV3 itself._

The velocity only alters the volume:

Could be a nice addition to include additional destinations.
    Do not forget that most parameters (except the env) are available for external modulation…

Both choke groups, and extended sample duration could be a very nice addition too!

There are indeed a lot of chances that those features will be added (after the one I'm already working on), not sure if it will be part of the next update but definitely in the future.

May I ask you to not make false interpretations; silence, new job in a car company ??? or anything else.

FAC is one person (no subcontractors) and I have the opportunity to put more time than usual in my company, this will definitely lead to updates and new apps. So just be patient.

@ohthanks as soon as the build is ready may I propose you to join TestFlight we will look together in detail the issue you mentioned.
    If it’s possible follow me on twitter and send me a private message.

• @FredAntonCorvest Yeah I'll bug you when I have a chance on twitter, I had talked to you about it months ago and you were helpful and it seemed to be resolved by not keeping the samples in my icloud folder but I just had it pop up this week again. Mostly curious if anyone else was having an issue, no great emergency.

• @FredAntonCorvest - so sorry to hear a note of frustration over some of the posts here. We love you and your apps! We also recognize that time is limited.

Ignore the comment about joining a car company. The poster was confusing you with someone else.

Thanks so much for responding. <3

• @oat_phipps said:

@NeuM said:

@oat_phipps said:

Haha, that’s brambos if I’m not mistaken

Oops. I think you're right.

• @FredAntonCorvest Drumkit is my favorite drum machine and I’m using it in every single project since its release. The combination of sampler, synth and these fantastic envelopes is unparalleled on iOS (as far as I know). For my music it is perfectly usable as it is right now. For long samples I prefer Koala anyway as it has better sample manipulation. Since the release of the sample manager “Sample Crate” creating a drumkit from my sample library is a breeze - a marriage in heaven. And don’t worry about the comments, people always want everything instantly 😂.

• @krassmann said:
    @FredAntonCorvest Drumkit is my favorite drum machine and I’m using it in every single project since its release. The combination of sampler, synth and these fantastic envelopes is unparalleled on iOS (as far as I know). For my music it is perfectly usable as it is right now. For long samples I prefer Koala anyway as it has better sample manipulation. Since the release of the sample manager “Sample Crate” creating a drumkit from my sample library is a breeze - a marriage in heaven. And don’t worry about the comments, people always want everything instantly 😂.

Happy for you that your needs are met, however I don't see anyone making demands, but suggestions for improvement. That's how we evolve. Fred seems to have responded positively, which is great.
    Thank you Fred, I look forward to seeing what you come up with next!