Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - February 2021

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine

Comments

• My entry for the month, the words started life as a commentary from @ExAsperis99 and @JohnnyGoodyear on my song from last month

lyrics in the spoiler:

So they drink, the blind and aching
    And they sleep, to keep from waking
    What they are, what they believe
    Is so dark, so ill-conceived

And they, they’re just ordinary men
    They’re nothing at all
    They break and they fall

So they sink, they’re blind and aching
    Into sleep, and never waking
    What they dream no-one can tell
    They’re lost in a private hell

And they, they’re just ordinary men
    They’re nothing at all
    They break and they fall

• You are a very prolific fella. This one brings images of Nirvana (the band) into my ears. This is probably my favorite of all your songs I’ve heard. Rock on

• @NoiseHorse said:
    You are a very prolific fella. This one brings images of Nirvana (the band) into my ears. This is probably my favorite of all your songs I’ve heard. Rock on

Thanks, I appreciate the listen and the kind feedback.

• This is an older one. I used the Alchemy app to create the music and Auria Pro to record it.

It’s titled Fade Away.

• This month’s song tries to capture what it felt like to get lost in countless hours of music making in my childhood bedroom. What a luxury one had back then...

• @richardyot Nice tom pattern and overall great atmospheric sounds. I also enjoy your singing. But the intonation could sometimes be a bit more conventional for me, but is a matter of taste, I think.

@DavidEnglish Beautiful pads and drone sounds. Would make a very atmospheric soundtrack. The visualizations also really pull you in. How did you create them? I'd maybe welcome a little more layering or friction here and there.

• @richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, the words started life as a commentary from @ExAsperis99 and @JohnnyGoodyear on my song from last month

This is amazing so trippy and chill! How many are real instruments and how many virtual? Did you intend for the dreamy shoegaze style? I don't know if you did that all on iPad / iPhone though - its so rich and full. Super impressive. I hope to make music as good as this

@DavidEnglish said:
    This is an older one. I used the Alchemy app to create the music and Auria Pro to record it.

It’s titled Fade Away.

I really like the journey here, sooo dreamy and especially with the visuals I feel like my mind is being expanded but without the pill :smile:
    I love how the sounds evolves one into another on a continuum - just great stuff, you are obviously very skilled. I cannot find an alchemy app though

@Janka said:
    This month’s song tries to capture what it felt like to get lost in countless hours of music making in my childhood bedroom. What a luxury one had back then...

I was NOT ready for this - so flowing and yet some dramatic changes along the way (not expect that drum beat later on)! Your music sucked me into a spacey vortex - I love the far away dreaminess. Clock slowing and speeding up again at end very clever. Love it!

• Here is a track I made - what do you think?

• edited February 2021

@Janka said:

visualizations also really pull you in. How did you create them? I'd maybe welcome a little more layering or friction here and there.

Those are made with the Tunr app. Pretty cool is you can use your own SoundCloud directly in the app but it also gets kinda old pretty quick. Watch out for the skies package if you wanna buy some, it's not good. :) There are two or three you can use without pay I think. Check it out.

Edit: Stupid, forgot to say I liked that song of yours.

• @DavidEnglish said:
    This is an older one. I used the Alchemy app to create the music and Auria Pro to record it.

It’s titled Fade Away.

Cool, ambient track. :)

@richardyot Nice song Mr. Modo :D (I've seen quite a few of your tutorials and always think of those when seeing your name. A couple of years back I tried to get in to 3D but had to let it go as It got one interest to many)

• @cargosofdoom said:
    I cannot find an alchemy app

Unfortunately, the Alchemy app is no longer available. Much missed.

• @DavidEnglish said:

It’s titled Fade Away.

Very mellow and floaty ambient track, with some nice textures from Alchemy. The visuals are also super-effective.

• @Janka said:
    This month’s song tries to capture what it felt like to get lost in countless hours of music making in my childhood bedroom. What a luxury one had back then...

There's a great juxtaposition of the lo-fi guitar chords against the synth pads here which creates a really unique texture. The arrangement is also very creative, it feels like a radio dial drifting between stations. Lovely synth solo at the end as well.

I also like the fact that the track is based on actual memories, I think that makes it all the more evocative.

• @cargosofdoom said:
    Here is a track I made - what do you think?

Full of brooding menace, I really felt lie it was a march of some gremlin-like creatures. Some good sounds and textures in there, and the rhythm was suitably dark and oppressive.

• @Pxlhg said:
    @richardyot Nice song Mr. Modo :D (I've seen quite a few of your tutorials and always think of those when seeing your name. A couple of years back I tried to get in to 3D but had to let it go as It got one interest to many)

Yes that's me :) I know how you feel about one interest too many as well, I think that's a common issue with arty types.

• @cargosofdoom said:
    This is amazing so trippy and chill! How many are real instruments and how many virtual? Did you intend for the dreamy shoegaze style? I don't know if you did that all on iPad / iPhone though - its so rich and full. Super impressive. I hope to make music as good as this

Yeah shoegaze is my thing, mostly. This one is actually a bit noisy by my standards, but yes it's all iOS (done on a 10.5 iPad Pro), even the guitars which are made with 4Pockets Strummer app fed into some distortion (Eventide CrushStation).

• More epic rock from us. Our first original tune of 2021. Mostly done on the iPad for a change.

• @richardyot
    "The Blind and Aching" - I really enjoyed this one. That drone in the background is fantastic and so is the guitar solo at the end. I like the melody overall, however I think the vocals could have used some sort of effect on it. For me, it just stood apart from the song a little bit. As always though, it is catchy and I end up whistling the tune afterwards.

@DavidEnglish
    "Fade Away" - Pads! Who doesn't like pads!? Alchemy is amazing. I think a little bit more depth would have made it greater. With the visuals on full screen, this piece really is a trip..."Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?"

@Janka
    "A Time without Time" - First of all; I love how the music wraps around nicely - the end meeting the beginning, time returning to normal. The concept is just wonderful! And when the drums kick in it takes the listening soaring with that sweeping synth. That's really something!

@cargosofdoom
    "March of the Gremlin Offspring" - This could very well be the soundtrack of a movie. I like the tension created by the modulating synths and that beat makes this feel very industrial. I very much enjoyed this.

@orchardman
    "The Other Side" - This was so refreshing. This had a very REM feel to it - if any comparison could be made. Really lovely guitar intro. The more I listen to this one the more I like it. The chord progression on the verse (1/6/3/7 on Dm?) is just beautiful and the singing; really lovely as well. And that subtle piano backing really adds tenderness. While listening I kept playing the bass along and kept wishing there was more to bass done (perhaps because I'm a bass player). I'd have loved for the song to end around the 4:04 mark with piano. Yeah. This is top notch!

Thank you for sharing your music. I enjoyed listening and look forward to more submissions. :)

• @spyrogaia thanks for taking the time to listen and to comment on all the submissions, much appreciated B)

• @orchardman said:
    More epic rock from us. Our first original tune of 2021. Mostly done on the iPad for a change.

Great power-ballad - a genre you both seem to excel in :)

The vocal melody is understated but effective, the production is tight and the guitar breaks are well executed.

• Just made on an ipad with Jammpro and Gestrument. Not a musician just a bored artist with arthuritus so sequencing is my only way. All homemade samples apart from iBassist.
    Please be gentle.... thanks guys this forum as been a lifesaver

• @richardyot said:

@cargosofdoom said:
    Here is a track I made - what do you think?

Full of brooding menace, I really felt lie it was a march of some gremlin-like creatures. Some good sounds and textures in there, and the rhythm was suitably dark and oppressive.

Cricket bats and water cannons at the ready. “The hoard shall not take us!”

• @Toastedghost said:
    Just made on an ipad with Jammpro and Gestrument. Not a musician just a bored artist with arthuritus so sequencing is my only way. All homemade samples apart from iBassist.
    Please be gentle.... thanks guys this forum as been a lifesaver

Nice sounds and textures, and the bass line is beautifully funky and has a slightly seasick lilt to it which is pretty cool. Lots of sounds packed in there, nice job with the sampling.

• edited February 2021

A contribution with Matthew Tyas
    Covert art by Angèle Chanjou

https://soundcloud.com/kitusai/nut-top-gutter-cop?in=kitusai/sets/mtyas-kitusai-walking-out

• Listen to New Project 10.m4a by trackedout on #SoundCloud

• Its good to be back on track my ninjas from across the globe. Can't wait to hear how you guys have been evolving. This is my newest creation

• @Kitusai said:
    A contribution with Matthew Tyas
    Covert art by Angèle Chanjou

https://soundcloud.com/kitusai/nut-top-gutter-cop?in=kitusai/sets/mtyas-kitusai-walking-out

The funky synth stabs make a perfect backing to the rapped vocals. IT's very different to your previous submissions (which to be fair have ranged all over the map, genre-wise).

The percussion gives it a very different flavour to most beat-driven hip-hop though, so it still has a unique feel. There is also a richness and variety to the musical backing, with lots of different sounds woven into the track. The guitar ending is great.

• @trackedout said:
    Listen to New Project 10.m4a by trackedout on #SoundCloud

Welcome back :)

It seems you are in a quieter and more contemplative mod this month. There's still some of your trademark looseness here, but it's much softer than some of your previous entries.

It's actually good to hear some space in the mix, and this gives your voice a lot more room to be heard. Good vocal performance, and the meandering bass is lovely as it wanders around the track.

• Recorded the vocal and Elastic Drums in AUM on my iPhone a couple of years ago while trapped in my car during a downpour. Originally intended to use it as a sketch, re-recording the vocals, etc..
    Later, decided to keep the original and build it into a “quasi-Scott Walkeresque Brecht-Weil-like blues”
    Added synth, piano, and bass with Mitosynth, electric guitar with Thu- Loud, AUFX:Dub and AudioReverb. Recorded in ToneStack 8-Track recorder. Mastered in Final Touch.
    Thanks for listening!
    https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/cf6HprM1TU46AFwq6

• @richardyot yeah I've gotten more comfortable with my voice. I've noticed we all tend to keep vocals down when recording ourselves but what's the point of that? Your mix has a good spot for y ok ur vocals , it would be nice to have a spot with nothing but vocals and drums... I feel this tdack needs that break. The solo reminds me of the pixies. Alot.. other than that I think its a great mix