Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Problem with Apogee Duet and Garageband

When I connect my Duet Apogee to my laptop and open Garageband, I hear a humming sound which gets louder when I play an instrument or sing through my mic or when I play my electric guitar plugged in with an instrument cable. The notes and vocals are barely audible behind the loud humming sound. When I disconnect the Duet from the laptop, the hum stops instantly. If I record something on the same track using the laptop's internal microphone, it works fine. When I reconnected the Duet and recorded a track on Quick Time Player, it also worked fine without hearing the hum.

This has happened twice before over the past several months. I tried different cables, going to other rooms in the house and recording in different Garageband projects. None of that made any difference. The first time last April, Applecare was able to fix the problem by having me update to what was then the latest version of Garageband, 10.3.5. The problem came back again this summer and after a few days was gone and after being able to record normally for several months, came back again 3 days ago. I am on a MacBook Pro 2017, 15 inch, using Mac Os High Sierra 10.13.6. Unfortunately, my recent call to Applecare was a waste of time, as the person I spoke to knew very little about Garageband.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• my recent call to Applecare was a waste of time, as the person I spoke to knew very little about Garageband.

Yeah, I often wonder why they bother even having a service like that - it's just a recipe for frustration, as the poor buggers who work there never know anything beyond 'turn it off and turn it back on again' :D

Hopefully someone will have some ideas.

• @alanemd said:
    When I connect my Duet Apogee to my laptop and open Garageband, I hear a humming sound which gets louder when I play an instrument or sing through my mic or when I play my electric guitar plugged in with an instrument cable. The notes and vocals are barely audible behind the loud humming sound. When I disconnect the Duet from the laptop, the hum stops instantly. If I record something on the same track using the laptop's internal microphone, it works fine. When I reconnected the Duet and recorded a track on Quick Time Player, it also worked fine without hearing the hum.

This has happened twice before over the past several months. I tried different cables, going to other rooms in the house and recording in different Garageband projects. None of that made any difference. The first time last April, Applecare was able to fix the problem by having me update to what was then the latest version of Garageband, 10.3.5. The problem came back again this summer and after a few days was gone and after being able to record normally for several months, came back again 3 days ago. I am on a MacBook Pro 2017, 15 inch, using Mac Os High Sierra 10.13.6. Unfortunately, my recent call to Applecare was a waste of time, as the person I spoke to knew very little about Garageband.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Have you checked the sample rate, etc settings in AudioMidi Setup?

I would contact Apogee rather than Apple Support. Interface manufacturers typically know more about connections and app compatibility than generic OS tech support people.

• I had reached out in a PM to do some troubleshooting and the answer found was to reinstall the drivers for the Duet. @alanemd also found that his version of GarageBand is locked to 44.1, which may have been a part of the issue as well? I didn't ask that part. I am thinking there was a mismatch between the device and the DAW.

• edited February 2021

Sounds like you have a routing issue going on, some input routed to an output back to an input or something. I had that happen in Logic last night- I had imported some tracks into a template and the track folder didn’t show, so I made a new one and didn’t realize there was another bus further down in the session, and that bus was routed back to itself because of how I had things set up.

Does the duet use maestro on the Mac to set up any routing? I use maestro with my ensemble to set the routing so it works as a standalone converter. I seek to remember there being a control app of some sort when I had the apogee one, although I only ever used that on iPad.

The hum gradually getting louder tells me something is feeding back (which routing something to itself accidentally would do!). Maybe whatever is causing it is hidden in GarageBand? Check your input monitoring settings in GB against input monitoring settings on the apogee.

A sample rate mismatch wouldn’t cause the issue you’re saying, and you know it’s not a hardware or driver fault because it works in other apps.

One more thought, maybe somehow your internal mic is still on and being monitored somehow? Do you have an aggregate device set up or anything?

I hope those thoughts either fix the issue or spark a thought that leads you to the answer.