Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Workflow requested for AB2 using Loopy and Bias ...

edited April 2014 in App Tips and Tricks

Hi!

Here's what I want to do -

I have a guitar loop I recorded into Loopy.

I want to record another track over that guitar loop. THAT track I want to go through bias, so it's like having an electric guitar over what I already recorded.

ALL of that, I want recorded into Auria ... How do I do that? Thanks!!

Comments

• That's easy! Your mic input/guitar goes in the input slot, Bias goes in the FX slot, and Loopy goes in the output slot. On a new audiobus track, put Loopy as an input, and Caustic in the output.

• Why loopy in output?

• @eroxxx said:

Why loopy in output?

I guess you could put Auria in the output for both of them. But if it doesn't multitrack, I wouldn't.

• I'm not clear on what you're after. You said "I have a guitar loop I recorded into Loopy." Does that mean you want the Bias effected guitar part dubbed into the dry guitar part, resulting in a single track, or do you mean that you want to lay down a second track for the Bias effected part? I'm guessing you want two tracks, since that would be more flexible. If so, why would you need to include Loopy? Just lay the first track down in AB...mic on IP, Auria in OP. Lay down the second track after adding Bias in the effects.

• Thanks for the follow-up.

Basically here's what I have and want:

I recorded 2 bars of guitar chords into loopy. I want to play solo guitar over those chords.
    The solo I want through bias/jamup, but I don't want those original chords to go through there.

The trick is that I'd want the original 2 bars from loopy to record over and over again (in auria I'm guessing) on one track while I solo on the other ...

• edited April 2014

If you have a 2012 or 2013 iDevice, you might be able to set up Auria to multi-track each Loopy track thru Audiobus. But why not just copy/ paste the loops into Auria later? Just turn of "count-out recording" in Loopy so that your solo track doesn't stop recording after 2 bars.

And for effects, just set up your Bias/Jamup chain as one input/effect chain into Loopy. Then set up something lightweight like AUFX:PeakQ as another input to be your "dry input" for guitar chords.

If you want to quickly switch between the two input chains in a live performance, all the above apps have MIDI control, so a MIDI footswitch could be set up to mute/unmute the input levels for each.

• A few things I don't understand:

1) I don't understand what you mean about the effects situation, regarding the two input chains ... If you could take a screenshot of AB2, that would probably be the easiest ... or explain each chain from input>effects>output? Thanks!!!

• sure, you have to buy the Audiobus2 IAP to be able to create multiple chains of in/fx/out. Tap on the "+" in AB2 to create a new chain.

In that setup from the screen shot, both input apps can be set to receive your guitar signal, and both record into Loopy.

• Gotcha ... Now if I already have the loop recorded in loopy, however, would I want to switch loops to the input?

• You want to make a second AB chain with Loopy at the input and Auria at the output. Select the correct track when selecting Loopy as input (hit the little (i) icon) for the already recorded loop.

• edited April 2014

@eroxxx said:

I recorded 2 bars of guitar chords into loopy. I want to play solo guitar over those chords.
    The solo I want through bias/jamup, but I don't want those original chords to go through there.

The trick is that I'd want the original 2 bars from loopy to record over and over again (in auria I'm guessing) on one track while I solo on the other ...

If this is a one time thing, might be easier to just copy and paste the loop out of Loopy and into Auria. Loop it in Auria and save some CPU/hard drive space. If you want to do this regularly and/or live:

1. Input -> Loopy (your clean track)
    2. Loopy [select the correct track(s)] -> Auria (your clean track to Auria)
    3. Jamup -> Auria (your soloing track)

And be sure to record your clean guitar bit to the Loopy track(s) you have selected in chain #2.

Also, if you're not using jamup->bias but just jamup with a bias amp, you can probably combine 2+3 above and Auria will record them discreetly. Though I'm not sure if you can, in real time, mute jamup while you record the initial clean loop into Loopy.