Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The SWAM apps by Audio Modeling has been released

Comments

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    I wish these were universal, I like playing GeoShred on a dedicated phone and would be cool to throw this trumpet on there too

They will be released on the iPhone soon!

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@Fingolfinzz said:
    I wish these were universal, I like playing GeoShred on a dedicated phone and would be cool to throw this trumpet on there too

They will be released on the iPhone soon!

Welp! Take my money!

• edited February 2021

I have seen people concerned about some of the advanced parameters that are locked in the iOS version of these apps. I just want to give a little summary of what is locked, so people know what they would be paying for (and potentially losing out on) by purchasing iOS vs desktop versions. There are 5 basic parameter categories: Expression, Play modes, Timbre, Pitch, and Advanced Parameters. The vast majority of parameters (and the most important ones) are available in the iOS version. Instead of going through every parameter, I just want to touch on the locked parameters, and what they do.

TLDR - The vast majority of the locked parameters are very niche things to be adjusting. If someone is going for a realistic and professional sounding brass instrument, the locked parameters are not needed in most cases. The lack of these features should not deter people from purchasing, since you probably won't ever use them in a composition.

Expression: All of the parameters in this category are available.

Play Modes:

• Changing the playing mode to "slide" for trumpet, instead of "valves" is locked - This parameter is only useful if you want your trumpet to be played like a trombone. This is not a very useful parameter if you want a realistic trumpet sound in your track.
    • Custom valve fingering is locked. This makes little to no difference in how the instrument actually sounds.

Timbre:

• Adjusting the mute size and tone (locked) - This one is not essential, but would certainly be helpful to have unlocked if you play a lot with different mutes. All of the mute types are available, however, and movement of the mute is adjustable and mappable.

Pitch: All of these parameters are available, including micro tuning the instrument, and transposing.

Advanced Parameters:

• Panpot type is locked to "acoustic" - I will have to edit to explain this, as I don't remember its significance exactly.
    • Release time - Same as above. I have never adjusted this, so don't know the significance.
    • Dynamic pitch (locked) - This parameter is used to make the instrument sound out of tune, as though it is very cheap, or being played by an amateur player. Low and high notes are more affected by this. This parameter can be fun, but is not the sound most people are looking for when putting a brass instrument on a track.
    • Vibrato Random Rate, and fade in (locked) - This adjusts how random the speed of vibrato is per note that is played. In my opinion, this is a very useful tool, and probably the one I miss most on iOS. In all honesty though, brass instruments don't use vibrato heavily, so it's not a deal breaker by any means. This one will be more missed once the strings come out. A way to make the vibrato sound more human, is to map the rate to expression, which will give a similar effect to what this parameter does.
    • Dynamic Resonance (locked) - This is how much resonance comes from the bell of the instrument with higher dynamics. This parameter seems important on paper, but it has overlap with two other parameters that have a similar effect. Reactivity and Dynamic Sensitivity are 2 other parameters that sound very similar when turned up. The make the loud notes sound more "brassy". For me, it is no big deal that dynamic resonance is locked, since the other 2 parameters are more important and cover similar ground.
    • Random Lips (locked) - This randomizes how much lip noise is applied to each note. Adjusting this can humanize the sound in a very subtle way. This is very similar to Dynamic Pitch, in that the higher you put this parameter, the more amateur the playing will sound.
  • Thank you for explaining @FriedTapeworm!

• edited February 2021

Instabuy SWAM Trumpet!

Fuckin’ great!!

• @ErrkaPetti said:
    Instabuy SWAM Trumpet!

Fuckin’ great!!

It’s dope, anyone sleeping on this is missing out.
    Worth every penny of $19.99

• I wonder why they don’t have a Sax?

• My music dumbness, Sax are woodwinds. Duh

• They do have sax, it just isn’t on iOS yet. Brass is the first of their instruments moved to iOS so far.

• Any news on the bundling of SWAM instruments yet? - what the bundles are, discounts vs buying individual instruments, etc.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one waiting on this info to make a purchase

• edited February 2021

I must say I was very impressed with the sound after testing the beta’s especially
    taking into consideration that the instruments are modelled rather than samples.

@FriedTapeworm

Play Modes:

• Changing the playing mode to "slide" for trumpet, instead of "valves" is locked - This parameter is only useful if you want your trumpet to be played like a trombone.

I should point out that there are slide trumpets and soprano
    trombones, most probably why Swarm have the choice there.

Swam did their research well.

• @monch1962 said:
    Any news on the bundling of SWAM instruments yet? - what the bundles are, discounts vs buying individual instruments, etc.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one waiting on this info to make a purchase

You are not the only one. So close...but still stuck on the old 1 yard line 😂

• My guess is that the bundles will be “trumpets”, “trombones”, and “horns and tubas”. That is how they are bundled on desktop. Also, if you look in the App Store, the app icons are color coded in these 3 groups.

• Hope it will be published soon😂

• Good news folks - I was just chatting to Lele from Audio Modeling, and the bundles should be out in the next few hours.

About why the bundles took a while, I think he wouldn’t mind if I reproduce a small section of his email here:

‘Apple allows bundle creation for Apps that are already approved for sale. They do not allow to create bundles for Apps that are not released yet, so we had to release single Apps in order to create bundles. Indeed we have created bundles immediately after the release of the Apps, but Apple haven't released such bundles yet. That's why we haven't advertised our Apps yet. We are waiting for Apple to release the bundles.
    It should take a few hours, hopefully.’

Yet another weird Apple quirk!

• edited February 2021

I’m guessing Feb 2nd is a typo...maybe Feb 22nd?

• @ipadbeatmaking, I think the sale is until Feb 22, not Feb 2.

• Does the release of the paid version means that the Betas will no longer work ?

• @GeeBee said:
    Does the release of the paid version means that the Betas will no longer work ?

I think it depends on the developer. Typically you have 90 days from when the beta was issued -- though developer can end the beta period before that.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @ipadbeatmaking, I think the sale is until Feb 22, not Feb 2.

Sounds about right. And I’m guessing its 5 apps per bundle for $84 instead of $100 individually at this reduced price or $130 instead of $150 at the regular price. Seems wise to get in early for any who want in. $390 (3 bundles @ $130) vs $255 (3 bundles at $85) for all bundles.

Bought individually its $450 (after sale 15 x $30) vs $300 (15 x $20) so I wonder if these will have ‘complete the bundle options’ too.

Are the key variations of the same instrument needed for piano players?

• I’m tempted to get one, heart says trombone, head says trumpet or French horn...

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@LinearLineman said:

Waiting for advice also on this :-)

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@LinearLineman said:

The key variations don’t matter for keyboard players. The note you play on the keyboard is the note that sounds. Key variations only matter to the brass player.

I haven’t done much comparison, but supposedly the Bb trumpet vs C trumpet have a subtle difference in tone (for real instruments), so perhaps the modeled ones will sound slightly different. I haven’t noticed much difference in tone between the key variations, but I haven’t payed super close attention.

• Trombone bundle now in the UK store at £79.99; presumably the others aren't far behind.
    https://apps.apple.com/gb/app-bundle/swam-trombones-bundle/id1551485768

• Sound demo. Just open multi youtube.

• I wonder if there also will be a complete solo brass bundle with all 15 instruments (like on desktop which is 600 bugs there). So with maybe all the future IAP the iOS complete thing isn't far away (but it's O.k. I think).
    I would like to know how much a "modern" iPad could run in terms of cpu/RAM usage.

• How much hassle would it be to seperate an orchestra across 2 ipads for cpu. Use link and airdrop audio but have to forget and pair a microkey across ipads?

• Probably good to seperate ipads. Say new ipads are better than air3 cpu. If you have to replace one then you can still use the other ipad. Buying a pro is expensive.

• @Clueless said:
    I wonder if there also will be a complete solo brass bundle with all 15 instruments (like on desktop which is 600 bugs there). So with maybe all the future IAP the iOS complete thing isn't far away (but it's O.k. I think).
    I would like to know how much a "modern" iPad could run in terms of cpu/RAM usage.

Another user running those in polyphony could get up to 6 instances of geoshred sax with a pro 2018 ( the 2020 should do no better), so yeah under 10 instances until we get proper multicore support...I will try with my air 4.

I was imaginating an adat setup with a digiface and usbstreamer to spread the CPU load over 3 or 4 idevices, and send the channels to my computer, but this is too much of a hassle, and there would be a midi problem... In the end I might be buying the desktop instruments to avoid this !