Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• App Store description says 33% OFF until February 22, 202. Right now all 15 or so are $19.99 but will be $29.99 a pop after February 22nd. Get em while they hot.

• I thought these are pretty cheap against the desktop ones but I realised they are just available as single instruments?
    No complete brass collection?

• Can anyone see any bundles of these in the AppStore? They are mentioned in the descriptions of the individual instruments.

• Nice.. hoping for some videos... building pop, jazz, reggae Horn sections, etc.

• edited January 2021

Bundle/s are probably facing the “bundle approval” situation. Give it a couple of days, I guess?

• @MrFromage I didn't know about those. Thanks

• Dev just told me that the bundles are in review with Apple, that's why they've not advertised the release yet. 😉

• The same video preview for the store pages of all the instruments? That seems rather a missed opportunity.

• Woohoo ! Waiting for the bundle, against the 300 bucks when buying individually !

• Wow that is pricey 😂

• I grabbed the Trumpet! I’m getting Miles Davis on right now 😂

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Couldn’t afford all the instruments even if the low 50% the price now that I’ve spent all my money on paid modules of vcv rack😂😂😂

• $20 each on sale and $30 regular. Bundles coming.

The Fluegelhorn is my #1 choice to do that Freddie Hubbard thang.

• @BCKeys said:
    30$, I find that quite excessive for a single instrument, even if I agree that it's worth it. I was expecting the same price as Geoshred IAP’s.

I had the chance to beta test the iOS apps, they are excellent, without any hesitation.

They don't have a competitor, so they can afford it. Crudebyte Heavy Brass do not achieve this level of quality and expressivity, by far..

I will maybe go for for one or two only, trumpet for sure, maybe the trombone.

I disagree that the price is excessive. It is ridiculously amazing that something of this quality is available at this price. A lot of time and expertise went into the development. The iOS price is much less than the cost on desktop. Developers of software like this aren’t getting rich.

That some people feel like $20 or $30 seems too much for these is an indication of how broken the iOS ecosystem is. People expect professional level software at prices that are too low to justify pros developing for the market.

• Yes. We are the broken IOS ecosystem. Real Programmers are welcome. But Apple M1 shows we are merging... to get double the sales they might split us back into castes.
    You get the expensive toys and you get touch interfaces.

know everyone here is touched... in a good way.

• @espiegel123 said:

@BCKeys said:
    30$, I find that quite excessive for a single instrument, even if I agree that it's worth it. I was expecting the same price as Geoshred IAP’s.

I had the chance to beta test the iOS apps, they are excellent, without any hesitation.

They don't have a competitor, so they can afford it. Crudebyte Heavy Brass do not achieve this level of quality and expressivity, by far..

I disagree that the price is excessive. It is ridiculously amazing that something of this quality is available at this price. A lot of time and expertise went into the development. The iOS price is much less than the cost on desktop. Developers of software like this aren’t getting rich.

That some people feel like $20 or $30 seems too much for these is an indication of how broken the iOS ecosystem is. People expect professional level software at prices that are too low to justify pros developing for the market.

Touché

• So what’s the difference between a Trumpet and a Trumpet C? Or Flugelhorn and Flugelhorn Eb?

• edited January 2021

@espiegel123 said:

@BCKeys said:

They did say though that they agree it is worth the price.

• @ChrisG said:
    So what’s the difference between a Trumpet and a Trumpet C? Or Flugelhorn and Flugelhorn Eb?

The root note (and key) is different for each, but that only matters for actual trumpet players. When using a keyboard, whatever note you play is the note that comes out. So basically, a Trumpet C will cover a slightly different range of notes than a standard trumpet. SWAM instruments are only able to play notes that the physical instrument is capable of playing.

I’m sure there’s a chart that shows all the brass ranges if you do a google image search.

• @FriedTapeworm said:

@ChrisG said:
    So what’s the difference between a Trumpet and a Trumpet C? Or Flugelhorn and Flugelhorn Eb?

The root note (and key) is different for each, but that only matters for actual trumpet players. When using a keyboard, whatever note you play is the note that comes out. So basically, a Trumpet C will cover a slightly different range of notes than a standard trumpet. SWAM instruments are only able to play notes that the physical instrument is capable of playing.

I’m sure there’s a chart that shows all the brass ranges if you do a google image search.

So which one do key 🎹 players go for though? Since they’ve divided the two ranges into two different apps I assume they are tailored for two completely different audiences.

• @BCKeys said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@BCKeys said:

Thats true ! I said it’s excessive but it totally worth the price.. 😉

My question is why do we always make a comparison with the desktop price, anybody knows why iOS versions are cheaper? (Spoiler : I don't )

You are locked into a single ecosystem on iOS, a system that is nowhere close to the desktop counterparts.

• @BCKeys said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@BCKeys said:

My question is why do we always make a comparison with the desktop price, anybody knows why iOS versions are cheaper? (Spoiler : I don't )

If you spend a little time doing web searches, you will find lots of discussion about why this is and white papers dating back to early in the app store years about how the model was unsustainable in the long run for serious ongoing development.

You can find lots of discussion about how difficult it is to make a living developing music apps for iOS.

• @BCKeys said:

@ChrisG said:

@BCKeys said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@BCKeys said:

You are locked into a single ecosystem on iOS, a system that is nowhere close to the desktop counterparts.

Ok, but the software is (supposed to be) the same ..

It is a conundrum. Sometimes the software is mostly but not quite the same -- some software isn't really the same at all.

Developers keep trying to figure out how to make money in what is a pretty broken ecosystem that didn't initially envision the sort of sophisticated music apps we've got on mobile today.

Some developers do it because it is an engaging hobby and they will earn some cash developing apps that they can use themselves. Some developers are hoping that they will win the lottery by having one of their apps be one of the ones that takes off and becomes so popular it earns lots of money (it happens less and less). Some developers are investing in the future in case mobile devices actually replace desktop devices -- or in case the platform starts supporting more reasonable pricing. Some developers hope that the increased volume of sales will more than make up for the lower unit prices (and it works out for some of those folks: as long as they provide little to no support). Some desktop and hardware developers use the iOS apps as a bridge to their hardware or software by building loyalty.

Unfortunately, Apple (nor any of the other big manufacturers) optimize for sales of their devices not the profitability of developers. There are simple things they could do to make iOS more profitable for developers (like making it possible to provide paid upgrades and time-limited demos).

• edited January 2021

@BCKeys said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@BCKeys said:

Hackers. My understanding is since iOS a closed system, less money is lost due to cracked versions. Apple typically disables unauthorized apps, so it’s hard to steal on iOS.

• @ChrisG said:

@FriedTapeworm said:

@ChrisG said:

So which one do key 🎹 players go for though? Since they’ve divided the two ranges into two different apps I assume they are tailored for two completely different audiences.

Either one will work for keys. The trumpet’s range is just slightly higher, pitch wise, than the trumpet C. Similar to how viola and violin look/function similarly, but play a different range of notes. Trumpet and trumpet C is the same concept.

• @Stuntman_mike said:

@BCKeys said:

@AudioGus said:

@espiegel123 said:

@BCKeys said:

Hackers. My understanding is since iOS a closed system, less money is lost due to cracked versions. Apple typically disables unauthorized apps, so it’s hard to steal on iOS.

Exactly. @espiegel123 makes some very valid point, but this is a hugely important one which was omitted. Tons of ppl making music on desktop never pay a penny for anything, cracks all the way.

• edited January 2021

Yeah @Gavinski, not cool. I can’t imagine spending years developing desktop applications as an independent developer, knowing your work is popular, but your bank account shows differently. Bummer.

I just spent the last hour playing the SWAM Trumpet with excitement! Totally worth more than $19.99 and $29.99.