Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Help! Audiobus / Fl Mobile / Bismark / synth One - IPad

Hello,
I am desperately seeking for some advice (I’m not an expert at all and I just want to record some sounds)

I am setting up Bismark ( and other synths, like synth one for example) via Audiobus Into Fl Studio Mobile. Synth one seems to work, i can play it in Fl Studio, make midi tracks and I record the output as an audio track there in FL.

However, when I try to set up Bismark in the same way - I get a stuck note and I can’t figure out how to fix it? It just freezes on one note at best, or doesn’t make any sound after the first note is played.

When I set up Bismark as IAA instead of Audiobus - all notes play as they should, but I can not record the audio in a separate track - it comes up empty. Same thing happens to Synth one if I set it up via IAA - it plays alright but when I record it the audio track is just empty. (I do check the recording is set to audio bust channel not microphone)

What am I doing wrong? How do I troubleshoot what app isn’t working properly or where I need to fix the settings?

The thing is that this used to work for me alright. I used to connect Bismark via IAA into FL Studio and record it as audio track, delete the midi and use the audio for my tracks. But now I’m stuck, I can’t even do it via Audiobus, please help!

Thanx

Comments

• @quiver Please report the versions of iOS, AudioBus, and FL Studio. Something may have changed with version updates. Also, it would be gd to know yr device.

Logically IAA shd not have changed.

Are you sure FL Studio is connecting to the app output?

Have you tried starting the synth app stand-alone, then connecting FL Studio to it? That may work better than starting it from FL Studio.

• Hello,

iPad Pro 1st gen
    iOS 13,7
    Audiobus 3.4.26
    FL Studio Mobile 3.4.9

I do start synth as standalone first because starting it from FL is laggy.
    With iAA it seems to work better than with Audiobus - but it doesn’t want to record the audio into FL, the track comes up empty no matter what external app I use. Bismark works well and there are no stuck notes, just the recording issue.

Saying this I remember there were problems before with IAA. When it was not working (would not connect) I would have to connect my IPad to my laptop via USB and that fixed the problem for some reason. A bit of a random solution tho.

With Audiobus, as mentioned, Synth one works great, but Bismark gives stuck notes and does not work properly at all.

• When you run Synth One or Bismark in AudioBus, are you using them as Audio Units, or IAA? Could be tricky, since apps that support both appear in both AB menu lists.

For Bismark in AB, it sounds like there's a problem with MIDI routing. But, if it works at all, it should just work, not off and on. Are you playing with a keyboard, or with a sequencer in FL?

• Thank you for assisting me uncledave!

I am setting up exactly as per this tutorial for Fl Mobile - Audiobus usage:
    https://www.image-line.com/fl-studio-learning/fl-studio-mobile-online-manual/html/plugins/FL Studio Mobile_iOS_InterApp.htm

(Adding Fl Studio and Bismark both on Audio and Midi tabs, in correct order)

For Bismark I am not using any external midi keyboard or anything, just playing notes via sequencer/piano roll inside FL.

Now after some tweaking - the Audiobus/Bismark have progressed to playing just ONE first note and going silent after that. (Instead of giving me stuck note/echo) Recording works for that one note and then everything is silent. Once again Synth one works perfectly with the same routing via Audiobus.

• Have you tried using Bismark as an Audio Unit inside AudioBus?

If you're using Bismark as IAA in AudioBus, how are you routing the MIDI to Bismark? If you're selecting Bismark in AudioBus, and selecting AudioBus in Bismark, that may be wrong. Try sending the AudioBus MIDI to "Virtual MIDI Bridge" in the System category, and select AudioBus in Bismark. The published virtual MIDI appears under the sending app name in other apps.

• Ahh amazing, this totally worked for me!

I added Bismark as an Audio Unit and it now works as a charm! (sorry, I’m an amateur and didn’t knew much about it and the possibility of adding things as audio units overall, I just went with the general straightforward FL studio manual)
    Not only I can happily do my thing now, but I can play with audio units as it seems much more convenient for what i do.

Thank you so much for your patience and help you provided uncledave! :)
    <3

• @quiver That's good to hear. Audio Units generally work much better, when available. And they are the future; IAA is being phased out ("deprecated"). But some apps, like Synth One, are only IAA for now, so we live with these two systems, which can be confusing.

• I just read up on it, I was not expecting bismark to be available as Audio Unit tbh (bismark is one of my fav lil apps) and if anything would expect Synth one to be available as one. As far as I understand people dislike Fl mobile here but it’s so convenient for what I do and together with fixing the routing problem now, and my new found knowledge of AU it should be even more fun than before to work with it :) Thank you!