Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ipad & SP-404 Workflow

Hello,

I hope everybody is doing well.

I use a lot BM3 and Koala sampler to make music ! I also have a SP303, 404OG and 404 SX.

I'm wondering if some of you use iPad & SP's together ? DO you use as FX or it's full integration between iPad & SP-404. Maybe with Koala or Koala FX you don't use it anymore but I'd love to see your setup, workflow, and how to have the perfect match between those 2 worlds.

For now, I have :

• iPad Pro 11 2020
  • Soundcard Audient EVO 4
  • patchbay Neutrik Jack

And I plug SP EVO on my patchbay so I can both use SP as FX device, or send sample from BM3 through SP and go back to iPad to record samples processed SP (same with all my SP directly connected on the patchbay)

Thanks for your feedback, ideas & workflow

Peace

Comments

• edited January 2021

Oh, interesting thread. I have SP-404sx, though i haven't used it in a while. Personally, for me 404 was always more like effects processor + recording destination.

I started my journey with iOS music apps around 2010, when i had iPod Touch 2G. So for me iDevice was like a synth or drummachine that you plug in besides guitar. Later i got iPad(s) and apps were evolving more and more, MIDI support happened, Audiobus/IAA happened etc. I sometimes thought about attempting of fully utilising what i have (some desktop hardware synths, guitar pedals etc.) but haven't done that yet. I don't have dedicated interface for iDevice, i just used Camera Connection Kit when i tried to use iPad as sequencer for external hardware. It might be interesting to sequence SP404 from iPad, perhaps, as personally i never liked 404's sequencer (i prefer something like Electribe instead) and you have around 144 sample slots (very long ones on SX, so can do ambient/drone pads or more) on one memory card.

I don't have Beatmaker 3, though i have BM2 and iMPCpro. Yes, i also was one of those who enjoyed using pads on touchscreen. Maybe, cause i never had Akai MPC, but between SP404 pads and touchscreen pads, i usually prefer the latter (yes, for velocity you have to use workarounds like X/Y parameters, but i also love how instant touch is, and you also can just slide between pads all the way).

One of disadvantages that SP404 has, is that you can't keep line-in/mic input audio going on and just "take" from it onto a samples without interruption. Something that more advanced SP models could do. Sorry if i don't explain clearly, i forgot details so can't find better words. If you haven't got my idea, i ll investigate further to remember.

edit
    404 is cool device for what is, undeniably, and some people do interesting self-challenges with it like "make the whole track just from one sample loaded into 404 through use of resampling and effects", see all those "Battles" threads on sp-forums. So i'm sure there could be interesting and unexpected way maybe to use it together with "limitless" iOS.

edit2
    Some more stuff. If i recall, you can't resample/record into empty pad if sequence is going on. Also at certain situations limit of how many pads are looped/played at same time (more available if they are not stereo).

• I'm not a good samplist :lol: Let's just start with that. And add that i'm no finger drummer

So what i've been rocking lately is setting the bpm before recording to a pad on the SP, so when I stop recording, it will auto trim to that length.
    So i'll generally approach this by sampling just some pad synth/sound on pad 1 for the intro, pad 2 for section A, pad 3 for B, etc. The the bass on the next line and so it goes. Generally already using the SP's effects.

If the ipad is a sound source, I'll route using AB/AUM some neat effects and such. Using the ipad as a source is great for using older apps with no connectivity.

@Qmishery said:
    edit2
    Some more stuff. If i recall, you can't resample/record into empty pad if sequence is going on. Also at certain situations limit of how many pads are looped/played at same time (more available if they are not stereo).

This issue is leading me to new experiments, using xequence 2 as a sequencer :lol:
    I posted some drum maps for the SP-404 on a thread last month

• Hey thanks guys for your thoughts & experience around SP404 :)

Sorry for the late reply, I was full of work those last days !!

I use both SP for FX when I perform (as standalone or with Koala Sampler) and I also use to process samples and record to BM3 (to give more sound character, and special 404's FX) !

With Koala Sampler + FX I don't know if I will continue to use both iPad & sp, or only iPad with DJ TEchtools controller...

Did you try to use koala same way as 404 with your workflow ?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.