Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Songen: AI-Assisted Music Production, Built With Audiokit.

2»

Comments

• @biggtiny said:
    I haven’t had any problems exporting other than notes being a little bit off beat like about a 1/32 which I just fix it, it might be a NanoStudio 2 problem, but I use it in NanoStudio religiously and have some nice stuff completed

Do you get it to export more than 4 bars of midi? I don't and I contacted the dev about a week ago but, no reply. 4 Bars are in some songs just the intro of the song arrangement so that is pretty annoying. On another occasion the drums were not included because of this (they were not in the intro)

The audio export is as said above extremely slow, even on an Pro M1, while midi only is instant.

@KirbyMumbo said:
    Yea it sounds decent but I usually use audio stems for quick samples and the songen only seems to have 250 generations which I feel I'd run out of quickly.

It's 250 monthly.

• @Pxlhg said:

@biggtiny said:
    I haven’t had any problems exporting other than notes being a little bit off beat like about a 1/32 which I just fix it, it might be a NanoStudio 2 problem, but I use it in NanoStudio religiously and have some nice stuff completed

Do you get it to export more than 4 bars of midi? I don't and I contacted the dev about a week ago but, no reply. 4 Bars are in some songs just the intro of the song arrangement so that is pretty annoying. On another occasion the drums were not included because of this (they were not in the intro)

The audio export is as said above extremely slow, even on an Pro M1, while midi only is instant.

@KirbyMumbo said:
    Yea it sounds decent but I usually use audio stems for quick samples and the songen only seems to have 250 generations which I feel I'd run out of quickly.

It's 250 monthly.

Dev is a bit slow to reply. Think it took a week for me to get a reply when I contacted him a few weeks ago, but he did eventually reply

• @Gavinski said:
    Dev is a bit slow to reply. Think it took a week for me to get a reply when I contacted him a few weeks ago, but he did eventually reply

Alright, thanks! We'll see then but I take it the 4 bar export is what everybody gets, not just me(?) as you don't say anything about it.

• @Pxlhg said:

@Gavinski said:

Alright, thanks! We'll see then but I take it the 4 bar export is what everybody gets, not just me(?) as you don't say anything about it.

I'll have to check that again later, I have only used the app a few times but I definitely remember having some dodgy experience with exporting before

• I tried this app out yesterday. I had no problem setting the key, but I couldn't work out how to set the scale, try as I might. I haven't managed to find a manual yet either.

• @andowrites said:
    I tried this app out yesterday. I had no problem setting the key, but I couldn't work out how to set the scale, try as I might. I haven't managed to find a manual yet either.

There isn't a manual, and even though it is fairly simple, it could do with one. Maybe request this from the dev

• @Gavinski said:

@andowrites said:
    I tried this app out yesterday. I had no problem setting the key, but I couldn't work out how to set the scale, try as I might. I haven't managed to find a manual yet either.

There isn't a manual, and even though it is fairly simple, it could do with one. Maybe request this from the dev

Indeed, it seems straightforward enough, but oh, to work out how to change the scale from major to something else.

• I have no idea yes whether this is really AI or just generative - they're definitely not the same thing as you know. But it is indeed pretty musical.

jason said:
    For what a manual?

This is A.I. !!!
    lol

Does your brain have a manual?

No seriously. There is no A.I. at all. It‘s probably a very popular marketing hype.
    Have purchased the Orb Composer thingy and the WA InstaComposer too …

Nowhere even a sparkle of something near to A.I used.

Songen tastes like a purely pattern & transposition based algorithm with some random generator for selection. Although this is producing much more musical results than these others.

• @Pxlhg said:

@biggtiny said:

Maybe you have it in loop mode instead of song mode

• @biggtiny said:

I've tried both (and then some). So, are you saying that you get a midi export for the whole song?

• @Pxlhg said:

@biggtiny said:

I've tried both (and then some). So, are you saying that you get a midi export for the whole song?

There’s an option to export different genres of arrangements of the loop beyond 4 bars. Or you can generate a random arrangement. Essentially what it does is it takes your loop and does the classic copy paste, with various parts coming in and out and occasionally being split into smaller chunks. So for example, the intro might just take the first 2 bars of the 4 bar loop and repeat it a few times with just the bass or chords, etc. and yeah you get a midi export for this whole arrangement. You gotta go to the Song tab rather than the loop tab and export from there

• How do you change from minor to major?

Tapping on minor only toggles the lock on/off.

• @Pxlhg said:

@biggtiny said:

Yes, you can, I’ll try to make a video of it

• @biggtiny said:

@Pxlhg said:

@biggtiny said:

Yes, you can, I’ll try to make a video of it

I'd a appreciate that, although I decided to cancel the sub after just a month, expires in a few days. Still not a word from the dev., and that is really disappointing.

• jason said:
    I‘ve just tried.
    It exports the whole song, if these options are selected.

But the export is in realtime (while playing back the entire song) and thus it is very sloooooow (if audio export is selected).

It exports the entire audio song, possibly also the stems (did not try that) and
    it exports the whole MIDI file (multi channel) as a song, if this option is on.

The export seems to hang some seconds, this may cause some confusion here.

Do you think there's really any AI going on here?

• Just a tip I got from the Songen support team. As of a recent update, the app now has a loop variation feature. It works like this:
    1. Generate a loop
    2. Open the editor (top left icon with faders in it)
    3. Open arrangement editor (top right with cog wheel)
    4. Select "Loop Variation" arrangement style
    5. Hit "Generate Variation"
    (repeat until satisfied)
    6. Hit "Convert into a loop", it appends the varioation part to the end of the original loop, resulting with an extended loop which can be again varied.

• @Gavinski said:

jason said:
    I‘ve just tried.

But the export is in realtime (while playing back the entire song) and thus it is very sloooooow (if audio export is selected).

It exports the entire audio song, possibly also the stems (did not try that) and

What do you mean by AI? AI has a wide range of meaning and what people mean by it is often context-sensitive.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

jason said:
    I‘ve just tried.

What do you mean by AI? AI has a wide range of meaning and what people mean by it is often context-sensitive.

Well, in this case I mean whether it has used machine learning to analyse and replicate genres, and has some kind of inbuilt learning / feedback / improvement mechanism. Or whether it is just generated based on human-built algorithms and is using AI as a buzzword. In which case it would simply be a generative app like Polyphase etc. Since documentation is so sparse, it's hard to know.

• @Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Gavinski said:

jason said:
    I‘ve just tried.

Well, in this case I mean whether it has used machine learning to analyse and replicate genres, and has some kind of inbuilt learning / feedback / improvement mechanism. Or whether it is just generated based on human-built algorithms and is using AI as a buzzword. In which case it would simply be a generative app like Polyphase etc. Since documentation is so sparse, it's hard to know.

AI does not have to mean that it uses machine learning.

• edited January 2023

jason said:
    I‘ve just tried.

The play actually stops when you press export but it seem to do the trick as I finally got an image like this (below) when I tried. I also did an import to LK and the parts are separated so all is good from that perspective. I bow and say: thank you!
    About audio export: I don't know why it's so slow but suspect poor coding but I don't really want the audio anyway as this is just a probable start for something, sounding entirely different :D

EDIT: I did try to use the NanoStudio option (export/midi/settings) and it worked. Very good. I just wonder why the dev couldn't bother to do a manual for all the people that don't have the collective brilliance of this forum :D

• @Pxlhg - were you exporting stems as well as the multitrack? That seems to really go slow. Also not sure whether they count the multi plus 4 stems as 5 exports, which possibly would be counted as over the limit for the free version.

• One interesting thing about Songen is that it is apparently receiving MIDI from external devices to the lead channel when it is playing a loop. Might be a developer oops, but fun as jam tracks.

• @Angie said:
    @Pxlhg - were you exporting stems as well as the multitrack? That seems to really go slow. Also not sure whether they count the multi plus 4 stems as 5 exports, which possibly would be counted as over the limit for the free version.

Yeah when I tried stems I only got 4 bars. It's only the audio export that is slow so I have skipped that part as I don't have the patients and I don't need it either. It was mainly a test for fun and also see if I could render out a few prospects for a months subscription - now, when I can export full songs I only have a few days left. Pretty disappointed in the devs silence.

@Angie said:
    One interesting thing about Songen is that it is apparently receiving MIDI from external devices to the lead channel when it is playing a loop. Might be a developer oops, but fun as jam tracks.

Oh really, haven't tried that. You can import a sample too which I also haven't bothered to test. I will let this app rest and mature for a while before I try again.

• jason said:
    A.I. - so where, actually is written the correct definition?

Is it a rubber term, that can be freely defined by anyone selfishly with own rules?

In my opinion A.I. needs something like a brain. at least an emulation of such.
    and it needs something like a neural network, that is connected to such brain. at least an rudimentary emulation of it.

(In my humble opinion an A.I. must at least have a sparkle of these two basic incredencies.)

Please note: we do not even understand neural networks in entirety yet and how these exactly work. There is much ‚analog‘ stuff going on like chemical processes and such …. really complicated stuff …

The careless usage of the A.I. term in software products, rather for pushing marketing, is just ridiculous.
    And if we are honest, the term is merely used for hyping sales.

I have tested more than 4 apps for ‚music generation’ plugins across all platforms, that claim to use A.I.
    There was nothing found, that approximately would satisfy the A.I. claims.
    Neither sound result wise (mostly just awful ear hurting tone assemblies) nor did these tools develop anything with sign of intelligence or unleash any ‚learning process‘ or such.
    These results would be achievable with just simple plain (possibly smartly used) old fashion algorithmic and clever coding. And randomizing plus categorizing.

So I am a burned child with these acclaimed A.I. tools. Because it just smells like a giant lie.
    To mimic a creative person (a musician) would require something more than these tools are currently offering.

Yet, many creatives would even admit, that most of their best ideas rather came out of unconsciousness and a state of transcendence. And in all cases, there was a long, long learning process with loads of trial and error preceding this. ^^

So to bring this (rant) to an end, using a database and having some kind of selection algorithm accessing this, will NOT make an app A.I. Sorry.

Important: I do NOT say here that such tools are none-existent. There are some, mostly highly scientific tools that do astonishing things, developed by scientists at universities. But surely not by audio plugin developers of today.

I agree with this