Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Jakob Haq. Video. Discussion.

I too had used iOS from the beginning till now. (10 + years clean) Still clean. It got me through rough early days. iOS music is amazing for many reasons.

Why do you make music?

I do it so I don't lose my mind. I do it to live. I do it to know I am still alive. I will do it till I die.

What say you?

Comments

• I too need music to feel alive. Only through music can I truely be myself.

• To be creative with endless opportunities
    To do this at a fraction of the price of Mac/pc route
    To have something to get up for every day
    Maybe make some extra money later on......

• I wish I had a story to tell or any kind of music related ambition...
    For me it was always about killing free time... during last year killing time and staying sane became the same.
    /far from clean

• @RUST( i )K said:
    What say you?

I Haq.

I'm learning to Jakob.

But I am still silent. I won't say more.

• It often helps me fall asleep at nights - as I imagine what the setup will be like for tomorrow’s hopefully improved session ..... the apps all loaded.....the colours....... the connections ...... the tweaks......... it’s like I can hear it now........ sounding good ........why didn’t I try it this way before?........ what a nice groove...... this would go down a well at a festival....... look at the crowd.. hands in the air.... mad for it..... keep it going! ....... ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz

• You might as well ask “Why do you breathe?”

• Is this in reference to a particular video?

• Yes, what’s the point of this thread? :/

• edited January 2021

In a recent vid Jakob talked about his sobriety and he featured another Youtuber who was working on sobriety.

Alcoholism has deeply affected me and my family so I appreciated him sharing the role music plays in his sobriety

I think the point of the thread is for others to share similar experience, but maybe to share In general why you make music. @RUST( i )K can tell us.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Is this in reference to a particular video?

His latest.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Is this in reference to a particular video?

• @cozido said:
    Yes, what’s the point of this thread? :/

You probably won't like it.

• Much respect to Jakob for the reveal about recovering from addiction to drugs and alcohol. I wish him the best for his continued recovery and progress.

Everything I do with apps, instruments, etc., be it to make "music" or just play with sound/noise, is mainly just exercising a creative outlet.

i'm often just happy to play songs written by other people too.

• Would probably help to reference the video in the first post.

I hadn’t seen it until now, and appreciate Jakob for sharing.

• Appreciate the honesty and courage to share in order to help others and one's self.

I create because all I’ve really ever wanted to do was to be a creator. Seems to me to be the noblest of all pursuits - create something that may, in some small way, make this brutal earth a bit better for me and some of the folk living on it.

• My music production creativity/obsession is directly linked to taming wee demons. I am very grateful to have found a creative focus.

• no particular reason... i just really like it, enjoying the process .. life has no sense at all and one day it just ends so trying to enjoy somehow every possible second ;-)

• Well done @jakoB_haQ for putting it out there!

• @jakoB_haQ Much respect brother! Keep fighting the good fight!

@RUST( i )K Thank you for sharing, and for starting this thread.

@Everyone else, thank you for being here and being a part of this community!

• We all come to this moment from so many different places. It’s sometimes easy to forget that when we get caught up in discussions over things that matter to us personally.
    Having such access to the creative space and the communication with so many talented creators in this place is an honour and a privilege.
    Music has always been a major part of my life and has always been here for me. I couldn’t even begin to imagine a life without it.

• @arktek said:
    We all come to this moment from so many different places. It’s sometimes easy to forget that when we get caught up in discussions over things that matter to us personally.
    Having such access to the creative space and the communication with so many talented creators in this place is an honour and a privilege.
    Music has always been a major part of my life and has always been here for me. I couldn’t even begin to imagine a life without it.

+1. So well stated. I Agree with so many of the heartwarming responses on here as to why musicmaking is so crucial/essential to the very fabric in all of our lives. It’s in our DNA! Jakob, I wish you an amazing musical journey and I hope that you are truly free of all the internal/external demons. You have such tremendous talent and so much to offer us & the world. I wish you every success in your healing journey and much love & respect. Heal on! Be well! Love From Canada, Elektrik Diva AKA Susan

• I like music because you can't lie with music. Sure, there are songs with lyrics that are lies, like "God Bless America." And, sure you can "fake" knowing a song. And, you can make a sound with a synthesizer that sounds like a trumpet, but isn't really.

But musical notes and sounds are musical notes and sounds. When Bill Clinton plays the saxophone, he can't wag his fingers and say, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman." If you put together a band composed of people who hated each other, when they play music together, they can only tell the "truth." The notes are what they are.

So, when I make music, good or bad, it is an honest expression that can't be "spun."

Last night, I laid awake listening to Avicii. I was so struck by the beauty and paradoxical simplicity and complexity of his chords and chord progressions. And his lyrics tell true stories. We have all hurt. We have all yearned for "somewhere else," "something else," and "someone else."

I often recall a line from Waiting For Godot…"It will pass the time." Music suspends and passes time. It begins, and ends, paradoxically while music is "in time," it transports us beyond time. It takes up to a place that is both part of, and oppositional to our lives. How luck we are that our brains evolved to experience noise as music!

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    I like music because you can't lie with music. Sure, there are songs with lyrics that are lies, like "God Bless America." And, sure you can "fake" knowing a song. And, you can make a sound with a synthesizer that sounds like a trumpet, but isn't really.

But musical notes and sounds are musical notes and sounds. When Bill Clinton plays the saxophone, he can't wag his fingers and say, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman." If you put together a band composed of people who hated each other, when they play music together, they can only tell the "truth." The notes are what they are.

So, when I make music, good or bad, it is an honest expression that can't be "spun."

Last night, I laid awake listening to Avicii. I was so struck by the beauty and paradoxical simplicity and complexity of his chords and chord progressions. And his lyrics tell true stories. We have all hurt. We have all yearned for "somewhere else," "something else," and "someone else."

I often recall a line from Waiting For Godot…"It will pass the time." Music suspends and passes time. It begins, and ends, paradoxically while music is "in time," it transports us beyond time. It takes up to a place that is both part of, and oppositional to our lives. How luck we are that our brains evolved to experience noise as music!

So beautifully said! Musicmaking and music listening is ineffable! It takes me back to my university mysticism class John! I wrote a paper on music being ineffable and as an ecstatic religious experience using Coltrane and Laura Nyro as my muses. A very cool thread ya’ll.

• @ElektrikDiva said:
    I wrote a paper on music being ineffable and as an ecstatic religious experience using Coltrane and Laura Nyro as my muses. A very cool thread ya’ll.

I wouldn’t mind reading through that.

• @glasstapper said:

@ElektrikDiva said:
    I wrote a paper on music being ineffable and as an ecstatic religious experience using Coltrane and Laura Nyro as my muses. A very cool thread ya’ll.

Thanks for that you made my day! Unfortunately, it’s an unpublished paper in a hard copy only format as my copies were on a large floppy discs back in the 90’s when I wrote it for the course. Cheers, ED

• edited January 2021

Music and I go way back to my teenage years. Some might know me from my Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ipadloops I actually first got interested in music when we had to learn how to play a Recorder in grade school but that didn't really make me go hey I want to write and record songs. I listened to lots of different genres of music but mostly what my dad was listening to until the mid 80s when I first heard House music on the radio. Growing up in Chicago at that time was so influential. We used to stay up on the weekends and record the Hot Mix 5 mixes and then next day we would all get together and talk about what we liked about all the songs the Djs were mixing. This got me interested in Djing and I asked my dad to hire a House Dj for my 12th birthday. From that point on I wanted to spin records so I asked my dad for a Dj setup but he didn't really understand any of that plus it was kinda expensive so he bought me a weird Les Paul copy guitar that he found in the Trading Times instead. At first I was kinda bummed out because I really wanted to scratch records but I learned the guitar anyway and had loads of fun. Later on my friend Rob brought his drums over and we wanted to start a band. We jammed a couple times and he left his drums at my place for months and months so of course I taught myself how to play those too. At one point I realized I could do over dubs with my double cassette recorder and wow now you mean I could lay down a drum beat, play it back, and record a guitar over it? So I started writing punk songs and singing on them as well. Over dubbing each part until the quality of the recording was total shite but I could still listen back on my creation and have lots of fun showing my friends. Then my friend Dan came over and brought his 4 track and I was like hey you mean I can use something like that to record my stuff instead? Man music is so much fun! So I bought his four track from him and started writing my songs that way. My friends would come over and we'd all multi track instruments. What fun until one day I saw a synthesizer and a drum machine at the music store and was like holy crap imagine all the sounds I could create with that. So my grandma loaned me some money and I bought a synth and a drum machine and a couple midi cables. I paid her back eventually. Now this was all still in the 80s mind you lol. Now I'm fusing electric guitar, synths, and electronic drums but one thing was missing, a sampler! So found a sampler I really liked (Ensoniq EPS 16+) and my grandpa cosigned on a loan for me so I could get it. Long story short I spent many years monkeying around with all that (still have some of the old cassettes) and collaborated here and there, started a couple bands, but never really took it seriously until my mid 20s when I got the job of my dreams working at Sonic Foundry in Madison WI editing their loops for ACID Pro products. Yep I moved from Chicago to Madison for this job and it was amazing but nothing lasts forever as I was laid off two years later when the company downsized after the tech market crashed. I was then hired on as a freelancer editing their loops and also producing loop packs for them! They were sold to Sony and I continued to produce lots of loop packs for Sony and started my own loop company Peace Love Productions. This is when I met Aaron (created of Looptastic and Meta Dj for iOS). At the time he was working on his program Mix Meister the world's first MP3 mixing dj software. In 2007 I sold Peace Love Productions for a substantial amount of money to zZounds. I used some of the money to buy my friends and I all first gen iPhones. Aaron and I remained friends for many years after that and in I believe 2008 he contacted me and said hey I'm making an iOS app called Looptastic do you want make content for it? Of course I did so that was my job for a while producing content for Looptastic and later on when the iPad was released Looptastic HD. For folks that have been in iOS as long as I have you will remember this app. There was nothing else like it. Looptastic was the first app to do real time time stretching way before Garageband was out. The app was in the news on major networks all over the country and on cable shows and on all the major tech sites it was an amazing time but as I said earlier nothing lasts forever. Sound Trends had sold their apps to Native Instruments and then the apps were abandoned. Before that though, before Doug and Jakob got on board I had a site called iPadloops.com where I would share current iOS music making news. The site was gaining lots of traffic at one point and I was making a decent amount of money through an affiliate program with Apple. I used to get free gear sent to me all the time for reviews. I still have a bunch of the IK Multimedia stuff they sent me way back then it would have been like 2011 I think. iConnectivity sent me their first gen iConnect MIDI interface which I still have. Such fun times. With all that said I learned a lot and one of the most important things was I knew I needed music not just because it pays my bills but it's also my therapy. It's a deep extension of my self and without it I wouldn't be complete. Now in 2021 Aaron (the Looptastic guy) is running a successful hardware company called 1010music and I designed tons of presets for his Blackbox sampler. If you get one just look for the Soundtrack Loops folder (that's the name of my other company). My first iPhone video almost 12 years ago demoing my loops in Looptastic here

• @glasstapper said:

@ElektrikDiva said:

same.

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@glasstapper said:

@ElektrikDiva said:

same.

Thanx John!

• Thanks for that perfect musical interlude.
    🙋