Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM Audio Timeline

Comments

• edited May 2021

• @McD said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    It was 50 BPM.

Thank you for AUM and all your amazing IOS apps.

Yeah, mr Liljedahl (Kymatica) is a real software genius!

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@McD said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    It was 50 BPM.

Thank you for AUM and all your amazing IOS apps.

Yeah, mr Liljedahl (Kymatica) is a real software genius!

For hardcore fans of Jonathan Liljedahl alias Kymatica - his music on Spotify and Tidal is really great!

• Without timeline aum is a great modular mixer but with timeline (maybe even a humble pieces of strip like guass or eventide did)and snapshots(which has been on @j_liljedahl ‘s list for a longtime)aum would be a whole new type of DAW

• @BillS said:
    I’m a songwriter in the traditional sense. I combine vocals, guitars, bass, drums and synths and write 3 or 4 minute songs. In the last year I have started incorporating iOS instruments and apps into that process for the first time. I’m loving the use of the KB-1 keyboard, 4Pockets Strummer, Touchscaper, GeoShred and various iOS synths and am finding these genuinely inspiring in expanding what I’ve done before.

Until now I have used desktop DAWs, but now know my way around Cubasis and GarageBand and can see me working more and more in iOS to write and record complete songs.

Do you think AUM would be a good purchase for a traditional songwriter? I can’t quite get my head around not working with a timeline. My view (which is quite likely wring) is that AUM would be a lot of fun, but may not be particularly useful to someone like me.

I just view AUM as a mixing board… the most confusing mixing board ever created… ;) All kidding aside, as a production tool I can’t really find a place for it.

• edited July 2021

@NeuM said:
    as a production tool I can’t really find a place for it.

Are we still talking about AUM?

• edited July 2021

@Edward_Alexander said:

@NeuM said:

Yes. Keep in mind, I’m only talking about my own workflow. Many other people seem to really like AUM and I’m certainly not opposed to people using tools which work best for their own needs.

• @yaosichen said:
    Without timeline aum is a great modular mixer but with timeline (maybe even a humble pieces of strip like guass or eventide did)and snapshots(which has been on @j_liljedahl ‘s list for a longtime)aum would be a whole new type of DAW

That’s exactly what 4pockets midimixer adds to AUM, and it’s on sale for $4.99 I think. It has a timeline, 16 snapshots with different fade in/out speeds, also some cool cc modulation that you can draw in Pan, volume, etc.. pre-assigned, 3 unassigned CC’s for whatever you like. It comes with multiple AUM templates already set up, so all the connections are made for you. 8 track, 12 track, 16 track, templates make it super easy to use.

• I just add Cubasis 3 to the output nodes in AUM if I just have to have a timeline. Of course this takes some pre-setting up in CB3.

Just a matter of adding audio tracks, assigning their inputs to be IAA AUM port 1, 2, and so on (in CB3) and then these CB3 tracks will show up in AUMs output nodes under IAA Output.

I can make a how-to video on setting this up if anyone needs it.

• @NeuM said:

@Edward_Alexander said:

@NeuM said:

Yes. Keep in mind, I’m only talking about my own workflow. Many other people seem to really like AUM and I’m certainly not opposed to people using tools which work best for their own needs.

Of course!

• edited July 2021

@Poppadocrock said:

@yaosichen said:
    Without timeline aum is a great modular mixer but with timeline (maybe even a humble pieces of strip like guass or eventide did)and snapshots(which has been on @j_liljedahl ‘s list for a longtime)aum would be a whole new type of DAW

That’s exactly what 4pockets midimixer adds to AUM, and it’s on sale for $4.99 I think. It has a timeline, 16 snapshots with different fade in/out speeds, also some cool cc modulation that you can draw in Pan, volume, etc.. pre-assigned, 3 unassigned CC’s for whatever you like. It comes with multiple AUM templates already set up, so all the connections are made for you. 8 track, 12 track, 16 track, templates make it super easy to use.

yeah and there's alot of loopers in my hand but I still can not stop dreaming that AUM’s recorder can do live looping

I think Every daw can do what aum do most but AUM just feels right

• @yaosichen said:

I think Every daw can do what aum do most but AUM just feels right

I'm not so sure iOS DAWs can do most of what AUM does. I can't think of a DAW whose mixing boards and buses are as flexible as AUM's (or as easy to set up).

• Or AUM’s amazing MIDI routing matrix.

I’d love to eventually see something like that in Drambo. I’ve learned to work without that “visual” aspect in Drambo, but I think it would be a nice addition. Maybe just a module that’ll display all of the routings, MIDI and audio.

• I can’t speak highly enough about AUM, what’s it’s done for my workflow, my knowledge, and ultimately the stuff I create. Went through many options, but ultimately AUM felt right for me. It’s where I feel most creative, most productive, and where I can do basically anything I want.

On an interesting Side note… since the App Store changed its layout a 1.5 or two years ago and it was no longer easy to access the top 200 paid and free apps in the music category, I decided to just search AUM instead, then click on the #whatever in music, to get the top 200 list. it’s one of the shortest app names and it’s always in the top 200. I literally do this on a daily basis, and there has been only one time in almost 2 years where it was not in top 200. Which to me says a lot about this brilliant app.

• That simple CC midi learn feature where it goes blue around the outside, then you tweak a knob and the mapping pops up is so freaking cool. Makes mapping so quick and easy.

• edited October 2021

I had this dream again.Audioshare and AUM both belong still to the ABOSLUTELY top notch apps and are an outstanding example of stability,flexibility,usability and sleek design.Why oh why don‘t just put both together and patch in (elefant enters the room) a timeline??I mean,we are almost there (it‘s the almost nature of ios that puts me off at times)?? 😩😩

I would very easily throw 100 bucks or more at an @j_liljedahl DAW. 😉

• @Crabman said:
    I had this dream again.Audioshare and AUM both belong still to the ABOSLUTELY top notch apps and are an outstanding example of stability,flexibility,usability and sleek design.Why oh why don‘t just put both together and patch in (elefant enters the room) a timeline??I mean,we are almost there (it‘s the almost nature of ios that puts me off at times)?? 😩😩

I hear you, and I agree :) I hope I'll be able to bring you something like that in the future.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@Crabman said:

I hear you, and I agree :) I hope I'll be able to bring you something like that in the future.

file under: sentences that makes you sweat even if it`s cold outside 🤤

• So, any ideas about AUM’s upcoming major update in the works?

Timeline?
    Multi-core?
    🤞

• @jolico said:
    So, any ideas about AUM’s upcoming major update in the works?

Timeline?
    Multi-core?
    🤞

None of those, sorry.

It will be a lot of usability improvements, such as quick access to a ”Default” folder for session templates. Grouping of midi sources for easier navigation. But also some new functionality such as MIDI Bus nodes, more powerful MIDI filtering, for any destination. Adjustable Sync Offset for link. A Time Offset node for manual shifting of time at any point in signal chain. And much more.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@jolico said:

Timeline?
    Multi-core?
    🤞

None of those, sorry.

It will be a lot of usability improvements, such as quick access to a ”Default” folder for session templates. Grouping of midi sources for easier navigation. But also some new functionality such as MIDI Bus nodes, more powerful MIDI filtering, for any destination. Adjustable Sync Offset for link. A Time Offset node for manual shifting of time at any point in signal chain. And much more.

Sounds great! Any changes to allow more tracks on screen at one time?

• @j_liljedahl
    Sounds great
    I agree with gregsmith being able to see more channels is hugely important
    E.g. like bubbles that you can click and it opens up all your synth channels, another bubble for ya drums, something like that
    Either way AUM is the first thing I open when making my music, it’s great
    Good luck

• edited November 2021

Could anyone tell me if you can automate au stuff in aum + the 4 pockets midi mixer thing mentioned earlier like you would in a daw with lines and nodes? Record and then later adjust effects parameters. Ive been kind of curious about using aum as a daw since I saw people mentioning it but I’m lost without a timeline (I won’t use ableton etc due to focus on loops)

Edit: oh seems like it’s limited to 12 tracks on Paul’s YouTube which wouldn’t be much use to me, but says 16 abive. If it goes up to 32 then would be usable.

• edited November 2021

@wingwizard said:
    Could anyone tell me if you can automate au stuff in aum + the 4 pockets midi mixer thing mentioned earlier like you would in a daw with lines and nodes? Record and then later adjust effects parameters. Ive been kind of curious about using aum as a daw since I saw people mentioning it but I’m lost without a timeline (I won’t use ableton etc due to focus on loops)

Edit: oh seems like it’s limited to 12 tracks on Paul’s YouTube which wouldn’t be much use to me, but says 16 abive. If it goes up to 32 then would be usable.

Think AUV3 and use multiple Midi Mixer instances, problem solved :-) You could also try Helium (CC automation possible here too) and Multitrack Audio Recorder. You can get interesting « dawless » results, but that needs good setup and practice. That’s basically sequencing a mixer!! Here is a track of mine made that way:

• @j_liljedahl said:

@jolico said:

Timeline?
    Multi-core?
    🤞

None of those, sorry.

Any chance for multi output midi clock and DSP unload when disabling auv3?

• Time offset node is a godsend, thanks!
    Just throwing out as an idea… a feedback loop portion for Time offset node, f.e implemented as an optional multichannel output - when Time offset node inserted, one can load its feedback loop portion on another track, track Vol on that track becomes the feedback amount and FX slots for feedback loop processing.

• @Janosax said:

@wingwizard said:

Think AUV3 and use multiple Midi Mixer instances, problem solved :-) You could also try Helium (CC automation possible here too) and Multitrack Audio Recorder. You can get interesting « dawless » results, but that needs good setup and practice. That’s basically sequencing a mixer!! Here is a track of mine made that way:

Thank you. Sorry, it’s hard to get my head round as a daw so this is helpful in visualising workflow. :)

• @Poppadocrock said:

@yaosichen said:

Wootttt? :-O
    Need to check this out, thanks!

• Not sure why you wouldn' try Camelot Pro? It actually has markers.

• tjatja
    edited November 2021

@pax-eterna said:
    Not sure why you wouldn' try Camelot Pro? It actually has markers.

Camelot Pro does not seem to support AudioBus or at least IAA Apps ... which makes it unusable for many applications.

Or would force people to in this case use a different App ... that may lead to ignoring Camelot Pro, as people prefer to know one App well instead of changing by case.

Am I wrong in reading the App's description?